• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Silverfast * file corruption

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning a large library of old photographs using Silverfast and a Nikon Coolscan V.  Some files I scan into the Silverfast archive format '64bitBit HDRi RAW' so I can process them later.  

I recently installed Lightroom to try it out to help with photo management .  However, I have found it is corrupting the HDRi RAW files so that the dust and scratch application of Silverfast (iSRD) no longer works.  All my archive files have been corrupted, I assume Lightroom has been doing a background search of all my photo's.  This has cost me several hours of scanning work, I now must rescan the archive files.

In a search on line and I found one article which mentions Lightroom changing the file metadata and thhis causes a problem for Silverfast.

Has anyone come across this problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think these files are designed to be used in the Silverfast software. As I understand it they are not conventional raw files but unprocessed scans which can later be adjusted in Silverfast rather than doing everything at the time of scanning. I don’t use that scanning software personally but I’m guessing you would need to output a 16 bit tiff file for editing in Photoshop, Lightroom or ACR. Do Silverfast not have a support desk or help forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for responding.

You are correct and I use Silverfast for processing their unique raw files. I installed Lightroom primarily for library management and editing of JPEG and ordinary TIFF files.  What is really upsetting is that Lightroom appears to have scanned my entire hard drive in order to catalogue the files and in doing so corrupted the Silverfast raw files.

I have also contacted Silverfast to ask about this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That probably isn't the case because Lightroom doesn't modify your files at all. Any changes made to images in Lightroom are stored in the catalog. Lightroom is a parametric editor which means that it does not directly modify the master images in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I don't know if your issue is solved or not, but I wanted to report a similar problem here, so that user can be warned. I confirm that you should never edit or make any modification to silverfast raw files (HDRi) at all with anything else than Silverfast. Even changing the date attributes using Windows explorer (i.e. right-click / properties) will corrupt the file, I had several hundred scans that got corrupted that way and I was very angry a silverfast. The fact that just changing the date attribute on a file in Windows explorer is corrupting the file leads me to the explanation that Silverfast is the culprit and the only explanation I could find is that they are not using the TIFF file format in a standard way. 

Concening your issue with Lightroom, my guess is that some metadata was written to the files and that created corruption. In Lightroom Classi there is a parameter in Edit/catalog settings -> Metadata wher is says "write data or time change in proprietary raw files" and if it's checked it may be that Lightroom is writing to your original files as soon as you chage a parameter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem.  Scanned a few hundred slides as 64 bit and had Adobe Bridge open at the same time viewing my scan folder.   I made the mistake of adjusting some dates in the IPTC metadata in Bridge and now Silverfast no longer recognizes the files as 64 bit HDR Tiffs - while the 16 bit RGB components seem ok, the IR portion gets hosed.  I have a message in to Silverfast, but am not holding my breath...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines