Highlighted

Smart-Previews differ

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Smart-Previews for my photos in Lightroom Classic. Under the histogram you can read Original- & Smart-Preview. So my originals are on the PCs too.

In the most photos with a sky the color-gradient cracks, is very irregular. On both monitors. When I choose e.g. 1:1 I can see a smooth color-gradients on both monitors. So I assume the original photo is accessed and it is a problem with the Smart-Previews. I have this problems only for a few weeks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jao_vdL | Adobe Community Professional

This is a known limitation of smart previews especially if aggressive settings are used on shadows and highlights. It is due to the compression in smart previews being lossy. It leads to posterizing of smooth gradients indeed in some cases. Nothing you can do about it as it is a tradeoff you have to make between size of the files and image quality. 

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Smart-Previews differ

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Smart-Previews for my photos in Lightroom Classic. Under the histogram you can read Original- & Smart-Preview. So my originals are on the PCs too.

In the most photos with a sky the color-gradient cracks, is very irregular. On both monitors. When I choose e.g. 1:1 I can see a smooth color-gradients on both monitors. So I assume the original photo is accessed and it is a problem with the Smart-Previews. I have this problems only for a few weeks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jao_vdL | Adobe Community Professional

This is a known limitation of smart previews especially if aggressive settings are used on shadows and highlights. It is due to the compression in smart previews being lossy. It leads to posterizing of smooth gradients indeed in some cases. Nothing you can do about it as it is a tradeoff you have to make between size of the files and image quality. 

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is even if I reduce my settings to 0. I have not found any page in the internet who speaks about this problem. All are writing from the advantages.

If there are enough rescources the original is loaded automatically after the smart-preview? Or only if I choose 1:1 or like that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jao_vdL LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you see it at zero settings it is probably another issue. You might run into an issue that has nothing to do with smart previewd but with the quality of the jpeg previews used for the previews you are looking at. They are often not very high quality and only by jumping to develop or by zooming 1:1 (which generates a higher quality preview) does the banding resolve. The jpeg preview quality is controlled in the catalog settings dialog in the file handling settings. Generally you want to leave the size at auto but you can change the preview quality to high which should take care of some (but not all) of the blockiness. This basically controls the jpeg quality setting for the previews and as you probably know jpegs often show banding at low and medium quality settings but with some images can even do so at high quality.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines