• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth scrolling Lightroom Classic library de-activated?

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I was always a little disappointed with the mouse scrolling performance in the grid view of the Lightroom Classic library. 
It "jumps" from line to line, instead of scrolling smoothly, which makes it's quite difficult locating pictures while scrolling... 
But I always assumed there was some (technical) reason for that. 

Turn's out there isn't...(?)

When I have Chrome opened in the foreground I can scroll smoothly through my Lightroom Classic library in the background. As soon as I switch back to Lightroom Classic as my active task, scrolling is immediately "unsmoothed". 

(I have a Logitech Master MX and Smooth Scrolling activated, als well as the Logitec Smooth Scrolling chrome-plugin installed).

Is smooth scrolling deliberately de-activated in Lightroom Classic? If yes, WHY?

Or is there an option available to activate smooth scrolling in Lightroom Classic that I've missed?

As I searched the Internet for a solution, it didn't seem as if I was the the only one having this issue, but I guess everybody gave up a while ago (like me...).

What do you think? Can you replicate my "findings".

Or is there a reason for this behavior?

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don´t have a solution for you, but just want to let you know, it´s the same on my system with the Logitech Master MX and my Edge browser (Win 10). As long as Edge is the active application I can scroll smoothly in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely the same behviour on my system, same Mouse and LR version is 10.2.

If you know good old Google Picasa we can see how smooth scrolling could be...

Adobe, please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the same here. I'm on Windows 11 with the last version of Lightroom.
If I click on Chrome and scroll on Lightroom, it goes super smooth, but as soon as I click on Lightroom, it jumps the lines. It's dizzying and hard to select the images properly; sometimes I miss them and have to come back and resend them.
Please Adobe!! Fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im seeing the same thing with the MX Master 3 on Windows 10.

Smooth scrolling with Chrome, Firefox or Edge in the foreground.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography  – can you take a look at this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at. I see no issues on Windows 10 scrolling in Grid - regardless of Browser or Focus state.  I've tried thumbnails of 3 columns to 12 and don't see any difference. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I arrange Chrome and LrC like this, where Chrome has focus, it is still possible to scroll in the LrC library, despite the lack of focus. Scrolling becomes much smoother when Chrome is on top.

When I bring LrC to the front, scrolling is no longer smooth.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference:

• Chrome closed
  • Chrome open but not overlapped
  • Chrome open and overlapped

Scroll is smooth and indistinquishable in all three tests. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of those who have posted here are using Logitech MX Master mice, are you possibly using a different mouse?

I don't have any other mice to try, but I have never seen smooth scrolling in LrC, until I saw this thread yesterday.

Have been using Logitech mice since Lightroom 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logitech M510

Have you disabled the Logioptions Plugin in LrC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the plugin at all, but I tried to add it to LrC, and didn't improve the scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't ask if you used it. I asked if it was disabled. The Plugin causes issues and is installed by default. Disabling it improves various behaviors, so I recommend people disable it if it isn't already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know it used to install by default, and that it caused issues, especially very long startup times (happened to me), so I disabled it in LrC, and later deleted it from disk. Since then, it has never reappeared in the plugin manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

have you enabled "smooth scrolling"  (in german: Flüssige Bildläufe" ) in the Logitech driver?

I have just tried it again and it´s very obvious that scrolling is very smooth, if my Edge browser is the active application, but my mouse cursor is over Lightroom. The scrolling is very smooth. If I make LR the active application, scrolling isn´t smooth anymore. Can´t someone upload a video some where? 

I have a Logitech Master MX 3s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smooth Scrolling is set to "Enabled"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to try the Master MX. The problem is very obvious.

With your mouse, do you get smooth scrolling at all without any "steps" in any application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then you need to try the Master MX."

I'm not sure why you think this is a LightRoom problem? Should you not be lobbying Logitech to fix a pretty clear compatibility problem with some of their mouse devices? 

The very fact that some Logitech devices work, is a clear indication that it's a problem at their end with the devices that don't - LightRoom is just responding to the inputs it's given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already contacted Logitech...

To be honest, it´s not my job to solve that problem. I have informed Adobe several times since years, have contacted Logitech, maybe they should just talk to each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached two videos that show the difference in scrolling.

@Keith Reeder  – it may well be a Logitech issue, but we don't know yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s exactely, what I see on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same here, but is not about a chrome been in front, is about click on it and make it active. 

I have two screens, chrome left lightroom right, if chrome is active lightroom gets smooth. 

The same as the video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those on this thread if you enable "Scroll by Row" in the View menu, do you see any difference?

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 11.23.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is "scroll by row" supposed to enable smooth scrolling?? It actually is supposed to do the opposite, if enabled. The individual thumbnails - or the grid so to speak - stays in the eaxct same place. 

The funny thing is that , if the browser (Edge in my case) is active, LR scrolls smooth, but extremly fast, actually unusably fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not appear to have answered the question I asked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines