Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Soften hard edges in Lightroom

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I'm done with editing my photo and noticed this hard edge in the hair of the model (made the photo with f1.8 so don't wonder about the blurry look). How can I delete it WITHOUT Photoshop, just with Lightroom? And how could this happen? Which setting caused this?

Sorry for my poor english, I'm from Germany.

pic.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

The purple hair with the color missing at the edge gave me the hint as I've run into this exact situation myself. Unfortunately you can't do much about that. You can brush away the defringe using the brush with negative defringe values in areas where you see a problem like this or refrain from using the defringe andbrusihing in a positive defringe in the few areas where you have objectionable fringes. My experience is that I only see objectionable fringes using certain (large aperture) lenses an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a result of defringing in the detail section or excessive color noise reduction. Can you show a screenshot of your detail settings. Make sure the defringe section is expanded. If you are using Classic instead of Lightroom cloud, show the detail and the lens correction section with the manual tab selected where defringe lives.

The lighter halo could also be an effect of coma flare in your lens which cannot be corrected but it likely is oversharpening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so amazing how you found the solution just because of looking at the screenshot. Very impressive. Have still so much to learn...

Here are my settings (I hope the screenshots are OK):

1.PNG2.PNG

And this is the part of the photo when I undone the Defringe settings:3.PNG

It's damn hard to defringe when the model has purple hair... Maybe you have some tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The purple hair with the color missing at the edge gave me the hint as I've run into this exact situation myself. Unfortunately you can't do much about that. You can brush away the defringe using the brush with negative defringe values in areas where you see a problem like this or refrain from using the defringe andbrusihing in a positive defringe in the few areas where you have objectionable fringes. My experience is that I only see objectionable fringes using certain (large aperture) lenses and in high contrast edges so it becomes a lens choice thing. I rarely use the defringe anymore nowadays as most of the lenses I use have it very well controlled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your reply!

I wish I could afford those lenses, they're very expensive. But for me the normal ones are acceptable, I enjoy photography anyways. Those little difficulties won't stop me. I learned about defringe just today and it's so interesting!

I wish you a nice weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines