• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some images could not be exported because we couldn't access the full size original

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos are all synced and are online and available from my PC via Lightroom Classic.

However, when I try to save some photos from Lightroom CC on my Surface I get the message "some images could not be exported because we couldn't access the full size original"

The same file can be saved on my CC Mobile app but not on the Surface.

Why is this?  How can there be an error when I can get to the photos on two of the three devices?  Is there anything I can do to resync the CC version on the surface?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Yes, you used Classic to sync them, and Classic only syncs smart previews, not full size originals. The message you get upon saving in LRCC is effectively telling you the same thing - it allows you to think you can export full size, then gives you a silly message saying it could never have done that anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are getting it because, as you said, "The photos are all synced and are online and available from my PC via Lightroom Classic". So they are synced as smart previews, meaning that LRCC can't access the full size original and generates that rather stupid and unnecessary message.

You would not get it if you synced originals via LRCC or via a mobile app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on - I used Classic to sync the photos

Mobile CC allows me access to the photos

PC CC does not

How is this possible?  Surely syncing photos to the cloud should mean I can access them with ANY version of Lightroom?  If not, then what's the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ktomlinson74  wrote

How is this possible?  Surely syncing photos to the cloud should mean I can access them with ANY version of Lightroom?  If not, then what's the point?

You can access them from any version, but as I indicated in my previous post, if you select "Full Size" in the Save To dialog, that won't work if the full size file, i.e. the original, hasn't been synced. In that scenario, I suggest you use the "Custom" sizing option, then enter 2560 in the long edge box. That'll give you the maximum size of the Smart Preview available, which in fact should be the same size as the export from LRCC mobile if you used "Maximum Available".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks for the info.  Such a shame Adobe make it so complicated.  These are my images and this is annoying to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you used Classic to sync them, and Classic only syncs smart previews, not full size originals. The message you get upon saving in LRCC is effectively telling you the same thing - it allows you to think you can export full size, then gives you a silly message saying it could never have done that anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure the message is stupid and unnecessary, John.....though I do think that the export options from LRCC Desktop and LRCC mobile should be the same. Desktop allows for "Small, Full Size or Custom", but doesn't use any smarts when the user selects "Full Size" when only a Smart Preview has been uploaded. LRCC mobile, OTOH, doesn't offer "Full Size", it offers "Maximum Available" which is a lot more user-friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware of the difference between the two unfortunately. I downloaded ~1400 of my wedding photos and began editing them on-the-go on my iPad and on my phone (whittling it down to around ~600 photos). (Long story is that the wedding photographer was unable to assist with this due to a personal emergency.) The original PC that contained all of these photos is very old and had Lightroom 3 on it and I uninstalled Lightroom on it. After reading this forum, I have reinstalled it Lightroom 3.6 on my laptop. My computer is too old to install Lightroom Class (doesn't meet requirements). How do I sync all the work I have done to the original sized photos? Or do I need to re-do all the work I have done? Many, many thanks to everyone for helping me on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woops, I did not realize this was already solved here. I will repost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in case it helps, I found a way around this nonesense made by Adobe. Because it hasn't been solved. It seems it has to be with the way lightroom exports photos. So when it tries to look for the folder with your originals and can't find it it cannot export any photo even if it's backed up on CC. So, what you should do is uninstall lightroom and/or Lightroom Clasic, then (on Windows) go to %appdata% on a run promt, search for any Adobe Folder and delete every Lightroom file and folder you see on the Roaming folder. The go back to the /Local folder and do the same for any file or folder you can find about Lightroom. Only then you can go and reinstall lightroom with CC launcher. That's it, it solves the issue, now lightroom will be able to download your originals from the cloud because what you did is help lightroom repath the Export process and the folders it was linked to. Hope it helps even tho I'm not really good at explaining. Adobe fix this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not going to help much as Adobe made the decision to hamper syncing from Classic many years ago but always good to add your voice here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-should-be-able-to-sync-full-raw-files-to-th...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines