Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sony A1 - use ARW files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Since a few weeks I'm the proud owner of the new Sony A1.

Now I have a question about the ARW files. Does anyone know how I can use these files, since Lightroom/Photoshop/Camera Raw is still not able to read those?

Cheers,
Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, use Sony software that came with the camera. Convert them to TIFF if you want to use them in Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. I know this is an option, but doesn't fit my workflow since the TIFFs are way bigger.
E.g. if you export an 52MB ARW file, it will create an 298MB TIFF file. Not a option if you want to save thousands of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the only option for now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful, thank you!

Lightroom will eventually support this I assume (they already do for HEIC files taken on an iPhone).

Also, the A1 is a weapon and very very new. HEIC stands for high effeciency image file format, converting it and getting a bigger file feels reasonable. Personally this flow is very fine with me and I'd rather have the "RAW" than the JPG. Thanks Johan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw has been updated, and it supports the raw files from that camera model. I suspect it's only a matter of days until Lightroom is updated and your wait will be over. A rather unusual release, in my opinion. Lightroom and Camera Raw are usually released at the same time, at least that's the way I recall things happening. So I suspect the Lightroom update is imminent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe released dng converter 13.2. You can use this to convert your arw files to dng files that can be used in Lightroom Classic 10.1.1. This might be a good hold over until they release 10.2:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines