• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sorry Adobe, but Lightroom CC is unusable

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been using Lightroom (or "Lightroom Classic", as you want to have it called for a while now) for a few years, and even though it's not perfect, it's been a worthwhile companion for my photography journey (together with CaptureONE, GIMP and others).

I just tried to give the new Lightroom CC a test run. I installed the latest version (3.4) on my Dell XPS laptop (i7-7700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD). The application was painfully slow. More than that, for every second click I did in the application, a pop-up appeared, to which I had to reply: "Got it". "Got it". "Got it", just leave me alone, or at least ask me if I want a walkthrough or not!

Then I tried to export my first photo. The application hung up. Restarted the application, re-applied my last edit (a crop operation), tried to export again, the application hung up again. I rebooted my laptop, started the application again. Re-applied that crop, which got "lost" again. Guess what? It hung up again.

Then I checked the Task Manager. Lightroom.exe had about 6.6 GB of RAM committed, of which around 3.1 GB "active". Lightroomhelper.exe had another 3.6 GB of RAM committed, of which 3.0 GB "active". So the hang-ups were actually out-of-memory exceptions in the background.

You mean to tell me that this application, which is so far from holding a candle next to what I'm usually doing in Capture ONE on my 39MP PhaseOne RAWs can't handle the export of a simple JPEG image shot with a Canon DSLR?! Do you even test this application before release?!

Needless to say that I'm extremely dissapointed. This is simply bad software. Instead of forcing this "thing" upon your current and future users, you should continue developing your "real" photo editing application: Lightroom "Classic".

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't believe Adobe is forcing Lightroom desktop on any customer. If you prefer Classic it can be downloaded and installed using the Adobe Creative desktop App.  It's also worth noting that Lightroom Classic continues to receive regular updates, which includes new and updated features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines