• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Store a copy of originals - question

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR CC set up to store a copy of my originals in my dropbox folder.   I told it to store them in : myusername/Dropbox.

It created the following:  /Dropbox/Lightroom CC/9fd56...............64b/Originals/

Why is the 9fd....   folder needed?   I am sure that I can't rename it, but it's a little annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

I believe Lightroom is designed to work this way, however, you can share the feedback about it here: Photoshop Family Customer Community so that our engineers can look into it.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is designed that way. LR going back to before LR CC has always been designed to be used in LR instead of the file system. Basically you want to depend on LR for your organization using keywords and albums and ignore the file structure in the drive. That said you can change the folder in LR classic as well as design your own structure if you are syncing and it will change without issue. I don't think I would try that on the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect that long alphanumeric parent folder name is the way that Adobe uses to connect the downloaded originals to the correct Adobe ID. It is entirely possible that multiple users (each with their own Adobe subscription account) could use the same desktop system. In order, therefore, to keep correct separation of the downloaded originals each separate ID will have a uniquely-named parent folder. I have two separate accounts, and thus I have two separate downloaded originals parent folders. The same unique names will be used if I run the LRdesktop app on a second system. 

I wouldn't bother trying to rename that folder to something more user-friendly (it's not designed to be user-friendly), because if you do the app will recreate the parent folder with a new set of downloaded originals below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is a device. I believe deleting or renaming a folder causes it to create a new one with a different name

because it cannot find the old one. I have several folders connected for not good reasons I won't bore you with, and only one account. Same effect, different reason.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jim+Wilde  wrote

I expect that long alphanumeric parent folder name is the way that Adobe uses to connect the downloaded originals to the correct Adobe ID. It is entirely possible that multiple users (each with their own Adobe subscription account) could use the same desktop system. In order, therefore, to keep correct separation of the downloaded originals each separate ID will have a uniquely-named parent folder. I have two separate accounts, and thus I have two separate downloaded originals parent folders. The same unique names will be used if I run the LRdesktop app on a second system. 

I wouldn't bother trying to rename that folder to something more user-friendly (it's not designed to be user-friendly), because if you do the app will recreate the parent folder with a new set of downloaded originals below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stored copy of originals is just that, “a copy”. Everything in that folder is synced to what is in Lightroom’s cloud, and what is in the cloud is the master. If you delete a file from the cloud, it will delete from the dropbox folder, but it doesn’t work the other way around. Since you can’t work on the images from the drive and sync it back to the cloud, it’s not really a folder that you should ever mess with anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines