• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Store Originals on HD , speed things up?

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me preface this by saying I just did the migration from Apple Photos to LR CC. All photos have synced however there is still something happening in the background (says syncing 1 photo) but taking a while. Check marks by the photos.

Scrolling up and down through all my pics is too jittery for me. I am used to Apple Photos fluid speed. Could this be either everything isn't fully synced or should I check the box in preferences to add Original along with Preview to HD?

I noticed the videos are very choppy as well when playing back. I have the space on the HD and it makes since but wanted to confirm before I started the 300gb or so process.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to consider using Lightroom Classic CC. It is designed to store images locally on your hard drive(s). Lightroom CC, the cloud-based version, is designed specifically to store images in the cloud and to make them available on all devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, used Classic for many years and am familiar. The cloud based version is my interest however and I am sure it doesn't run this slow. So, does it take. while for everything to catch up after the migration? Would checking "Store Originals on HD" in preferences speed things up in regards to scrolling through UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't advise you on that. I'm only a casual user of Lightroom CC. Someone else will have to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries.

Also, I am running the very latest MacBook Pro fully loaded with 16gb RAM and 1TB HD so can't be machine issue.

The extremely choppy video playback is killing me. Interesting when I make the window screen size smaller it gets better. Wouldn't this be due to not using the original file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hung up with Adobe Customer Support. Maybe the worst customer service call I have had.

Basically he told me that is how CC plays video...choppy! "4k Video from iPhones" doesn't play well".

Also, yes, browsing around the UI in grid mode with lots of photos is slow in CC.

What? If this is the case it feels like a beta product and I have a hard time believing it.  Please help!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some users have reported speed increases their with images stored locally. There are issues with some drives though. Try putting several hundred images in an album, and then store just that album locally. If it speeds things up, and if you have the local storage space available, then you can turn on the store local option for the entire catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines