Highlighted

Stores locally even though it’s off

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’m using LRCC and I have the option to store originals locally off. Still, all original photos are stored on my laptop.

Is this a bug? The space is running out on my laptop son i would really like these to go away...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Stores locally even though it’s off

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I’m using LRCC and I have the option to store originals locally off. Still, all original photos are stored on my laptop.

Is this a bug? The space is running out on my laptop son i would really like these to go away...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originals are stored temporarily, because otherwise you could only import photos at the upload speed to the cloud, and if you didn’t have an internet connection you could not import photos at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that. But they’ve been there since I first started using Lightroom CC, which is 1.5 years. That doesn’t sound very temporary to me

I’ve set the Cache size to 5 or 10%. However, LR reports that I have 92Gb available when in fact it’s only 5Gb... But still, it shouldn’t keep 90Gb of photos even if it thinks I have 92Gb free space when the cache limit is set to 5-10%...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely these are not originals. Lightroom must store certain things locally, like previews for example. If it didn’t do that, it would have to download these from the cloud each time you view a grid of images or when you view a single image, bringing the application down to a crawl.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s all photos I’ve imported (as far as I can see). And they are raw photos which seems unnecessary for previews.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just checked. It seems that Lightroom does indeed download some originals if you zoom into them, so the only way to stop this as much as possible is to set the cache size as low as possible, perhaps even at zero percent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn’t matter. It’s not The cache size that’s messed up. It’s the originals folder. I have set the cache size to 1%. LR states that the cache is 960MB. The Originals folder is 90GB. They are not the same things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see this too. This looks more and more like a bug. Even if you set in the preferences that Lightroom can store a smart preview locally, it still downloads the original if I zoom in to loupe view.

Do you use a 4K or 5K screen by any chance?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you use a 4K or 5K screen by any chance?

I do not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks. It doesn’t really matter, but I do use a 4K screen (two actually), and I thought that perhaps the high resolution of such a screen required Lightroom to download the original because a smart preview has a too low resolution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linus,

You could also set the Photo Cache size to 0% and then restart Lightroom, this should reduce the amount of space that Lightroom uses:

Lightroom preferences

Even set to zero, a small percentage will still be present locally though (recent imports etc.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines