• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Straight Forward 'Moving Files' question. Did CC delete photos from my hard drive?

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded Lightroom CC by mistake.  Only used it a few times and definitely prefer the desktop version.  This time I got a message 'Moving photos' and it moved 1K plus photos in short order.

Did it literally take photos from my hard drive and delete them from my hard drive?  If, yes how do I get them back safely.  If not, can I just delete everything on CC and uninstall the app?  Don't want this to happen again, even if it is a non-destructive move.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Moving Photos" message generally appears when the user changes the default storage location in the Lightroom Preferences>Local Storage tab. Nothing is deleted, the files are moved from the old to the new location. If you don't want to use Lightroom, uninstall it and consider deleting that local storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I had changed my photo storage location for Lightroom Classic, which
I do when I create a new yearly catalog, does that also apply to Lightroom
CC which I haven't used in more than a year? Or does each program have
it's own photo storage location. Just trying to be clear about what I'm
chasing. I'm leary about reloading CC until I know what I'm dealing with.
Thank you very much for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Each program has its own photo storage location. Changing your Classic catalog yearly should have no effect on Lightroom. 

Do you sync one of your Classic catalogs with the cloud? If you do, everything that was in the cloud should also be in the Classic catalog, meaning it is safe to uninstall the Lightroom app (and clear the cloud contents as well if you want to).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines