• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden interface change in Release 10. Where did the red and blue highlights come from?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am baffled by a change in its Lightroom Classic behavior after its auto-update yesterday to V10. I wonder if anyone in the Community can help identify what it is doing and how I can turn off a "feature" that is blocking my ability to do some basic editing.

Here is the source image in "Library" view:

Image.png

When I move to "Develop" view, it looks like this:

Image in Develop.png

Where did these red and blue highlights come from, and how can I get rid of them? 

I tried turning "off" all of the panels on the right hand side, especially the Color Grading panel, but this had no effect. I tried looking at different Presets, and that moved the red and blue and in one instance removed the red but not the blue.

I have been using Lightroom (Classic) for several years but I am obviously not an advanced user. I don't think I have ever seen it do this.  I don't know what it is doing nor what term to use to search for this behavior. 

Perhaps the more advanced users will recognize what the program is doing here and provide suggestions how to turn this red and blue highlighting off?

Thanks in advance!!

Laura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

The Red & Blue highlights are "CLIPPING INDICATORS"

They indicate full Black (Blue) and total White (Red).

Press Keyboard [J] to toggle them on/off,

or click on the triangles above the Histogram to selectively turn the indicators on/off.

If you are editing raw files then you might be able to recover 'clipped' areas by adjusting the Blacks & Whites sliders.

It has been a 'feature' that I have known since Version 4.0, and possibly since v1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Red & Blue highlights are "CLIPPING INDICATORS"

They indicate full Black (Blue) and total White (Red).

Press Keyboard [J] to toggle them on/off,

or click on the triangles above the Histogram to selectively turn the indicators on/off.

If you are editing raw files then you might be able to recover 'clipped' areas by adjusting the Blacks & Whites sliders.

It has been a 'feature' that I have known since Version 4.0, and possibly since v1.0

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WobertC

Thank you so much for identifying the UI color artifacts and their meaning. I must have typed J by accident when I brought up the new version. 

At your suggestion, I'll try using it on purpose!

Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines