Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing Collection Adjust

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I recently discovered syncing collections across LR on different devices. I have been working on a collection on my desktop and making an adjustment, but when I got to my MBP that the collection is sync too the adjustments are not present. 

How can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are trying to sync collections in two Lightroom Classic catalogs. That is not possible. You can only sync one Lightroom Classic catalog, so if you want to see the results on your laptop, you will have to use Lightroom (cloud) on that laptop, not Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom Classic, or Lightroom? Do you know the difference between them? If you use Lightroom, your images are stored in the cloud and everything will sync between computers. If you use Classic, the images are stored on a local drive. You can sync Classic collections with smart previews, but you can't sync between two computers running Classic. 

You posted your question in the Lightroom forum, but you are talking about Collections. Only Classic has Collections. Lightroom has Albums.

What application are you using, and what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using lightroom classic on both. And I sort of understand the difference between the two. 

So if I want to be able to use the same edit catalog on both computers, should I be using an external and storing my catalog on that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can uninstal Classic on the laptop and instal Lightroom. Make sure that you understand how they sync system works first. Don't import photos into Lightroom on the laptop. Put photos in Collections in Classic and sync the collection. They you can access them to edit on the laptop. Any edits you make on the laptop will sync back to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this is what I am doing right now. Now how does it work with $$ for the cloud system? I am not actually storing any photos in the cloud ... am I? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic uploads smart previews which are much smaller. The originals stay on the hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could put your Classic catalog on an external drive, and all of your photos. This would allow you to move the catalog back and forth between computers. However, it is not an ideal workflow.

I recommend syncing selected collections of images from your main Classic catalog, then using Lightroom on the secondary computer for editing only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I should uninstall the my classic on my laptop and download lightroom CC - the cloud version?

When I make changes on either or will take the changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That can work - effectively you are using Lightroom CC (the program Adobe call Lightroom and others call Lightroom Cloudy) as if it it Lightroom Mobile on your laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines