Highlighted

Syncing edits from PC to remote computer

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setup

- I have a NAS (network attached storage) where I keep most of my photos stored.
- My entire network drive is added to my LR catalog
- I have a PC with limited storage capacity.

Workflow

let say I want to work on photos stored in a folder called `mytrip` on my network storage.

1. I copy `mytrip` from my network drive to my local drive in LR. I do this because my network is slow and editing is painful
  2. I edit and assign ratings and colors to these photos, which is located locally.
  3. After I am done, I delete this folder on my local computer in LR to free up space. When I do this, all the metadata and edits are gone.

Question

How can I copy my Light Room edits and metadata (ratings, colors, comments, etc) from the photos on my local drive to the same photos on my network drive?

TOPICS
How to, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Syncing edits from PC to remote computer

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setup

- I have a NAS (network attached storage) where I keep most of my photos stored.
- My entire network drive is added to my LR catalog
- I have a PC with limited storage capacity.

Workflow

let say I want to work on photos stored in a folder called `mytrip` on my network storage.

1. I copy `mytrip` from my network drive to my local drive in LR. I do this because my network is slow and editing is painful
  2. I edit and assign ratings and colors to these photos, which is located locally.
  3. After I am done, I delete this folder on my local computer in LR to free up space. When I do this, all the metadata and edits are gone.

Question

How can I copy my Light Room edits and metadata (ratings, colors, comments, etc) from the photos on my local drive to the same photos on my network drive?

TOPICS
How to, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I assume you are using Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom. Can you confirm that? 
With either application the edits are stored in the application database, not with the photos. If you are using Classic and delete the photos from your local drive after editing, you can simply correct the link to the missing photos by pointing to the new location on the server. You won't lose the edits because they are in the catalog. Your workflow isn't clear though so I am not sure why you are losing the edits, or even why you are working like this to begin with. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 0