Highlighted

Transparent Gifs in Lightroom

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select a Gif file with transparency in Lightroom, then choose Edit in Photoshop, when the file opens in Photoshop it has a white background rather than transparency. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a workround?

TIA

Graeme

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Transparent Gifs in Lightroom

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select a Gif file with transparency in Lightroom, then choose Edit in Photoshop, when the file opens in Photoshop it has a white background rather than transparency. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a workround?

TIA

Graeme

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 20, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom Classic? 

Transparency is on by default when using export. See if my YouTube video helps.

https://youtu.be/0Q-5k6Y-Qc8

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that.

I'm not using Classic – I only recently subscribed to Photoshop, so I gained access to both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic together, and had no idea which to use, so I chose Lightroom at random. Do you think I should be using Classic instead? Its name suggests it might not be supported indefinitely...

My immediate problem, though, is that I want to find an image in Lightroom, open it in Photoshop, copy the non-transparent part of the image and paste it into a Photoshop composite. Opening via Edit In Photoshop shows the image on a white background instead of a transparent one – surely there's an easy way to find an image in Lightroom then actually OPEN it in Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic would not help unless you are using the PNG format. For a Gif I would suggest opening directly in Photoshop. Opening from Lightroom simply exports a tiff format.

Use the Photoshop menu:

File >> Open and navigate to choose your gif.

Try using the menu:

Image >> Trim >> Transparent Pixels

However if you are using an animated gif you will see layer for every frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2019 0