• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to download original file

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I synced a Lightroom Classic Collection so that i could access the photos from cloud enabled apps.

I open the Lightroom progtram (non-classic version) on  my PC and I see the synced photos.

I then right click on one of them and select "Edit in Photoshop" and I get an error message saying:

" Unable to download original file.

Original file was not found. Only a smart priview can be used at this time."

It then gives me the option to edit the smart preview or cancel.

How do I access the original file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Lightroom Classic only syncs lower quality Smart Previews to the Cloud but Photoshop requires them at full resolution.

Therefore either use Classic for this or the other option is to import the full res into Lightroom (Cloud) whch will replace the Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neraly same problem:

I´ve the original also on my ext. drive. LR can´t accces them and can´t donwload it from the cloud!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic only syncs lower quality Smart Previews to the Cloud but Photoshop requires them at full resolution.

Therefore either use Classic for this or the other option is to import the full res into Lightroom (Cloud) whch will replace the Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...import the full res into Lightroom (Cloud)..."

How?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be as easy as going to File / Add Photos and navigate to the photos required on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly sounds easy!

But it isn't that easy, unfortunately. These images (Smart Previews as it turns out) are already in Lightroom. For each one I want to work on, I must locate it on my hard drive and import it. Lightroom has no link to a file on a local drive. The whole idea of Lightroom, as far as I understand it, is that we don't need a local drive - the full-size images are in the cloud and we access them from anywhere.

So when I right-click the image, select Edit in Photoshop, and I see the message 'Unable to download original file' - 'Original file was not found' - what does this mean? I looks to me as though Adobe has 'lost' the original, and had I not kept copies on a local hard-drive I'd be stuffed.

The file-storage/synching options seem way too complex and fraught with danger/bugs for my liking. I've decided to revert to Lightroom Classic and keep the originals locally as well as online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct regarding the Cloud Based Lightroom, your full res files can be accessed from anywhere. It depends how you import photos into the Cloud though.

Uploading your original photos into the Cloud via Lightroom Desktop, Web or Mobile will import full res and within Desktop you’ll be able to edit in Photoshop.

Syncing Collections from Classic will only upload Smart Previews.

If you are seeing Smart Previews locally that have not come from Classic this would normally be because Lightroom stores the full res in the Cloud, but not all of them locally (depending on your preferences). 

It stores proxies (Smart Previews) locally and accesses the full res from the Cloud If required for certain edits. If there is no network connection then it cannot access the full res. 

Could this be what is happening for you?

You can Edit Offline by Storing Albums Locally whilst you still have connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem and read this thread - at no point do you explain how you upload original photos to the cloud? When I import I import from a card tto my storage (12Tb local disk that is backed up...) this is often 500-1000 50megapixel images per shoot. I'd run out of cloud storage in a heartbeat if I uploaded them all to the cloud. I generally end up with a dozen or two images that I want to use. How do I then upload my selects to the cloud? where is the option wiithin lightroom classig to do this? What menu option? etc....? Is there an option when syncing to a synced library/collection to sync the original? I can't see it anywhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

You cannot upload full res to the Cloud from Classic. You have to do this from Lightroom Desktop (Cloud Based) if you want to overwrite the Smart Previews that have been synced to the Cloud from a Classic Collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - good to know - so how would that fit in my workflow?

If I am culling down to 25 selects from 600 originals in classic - and trust me I dont want to use cc for that, can I then somehow export and sync those selects with CC? Can I do that just by having cc open on the same desktop as classic and then move my selects to a synced library? And can I do that without having to create yet another full size copy of the image on either my HD or my NAS array?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the "file cannot be found" when trying to export more then 7 photos (I've come to a science) at a time. but if I do fewer it finds the file just fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too except it says that even when im finished editing the photo in lightroom and then I try to download it to my hard drive it can find the file???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

My question is, when did this happen? 

For the last few years, all my Sony ARW have been uploaded to the cloud and synced on my phone/laptop. Only recently have I gotten this issue.

My workload is I use Classic on my desktop because it is better at organizing then I create collections of photos I want to edit and edit on my laptop or my phone as I am traveling. Now I cannot do this at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom CC since it was first introduced, and Lightroom Classic before that.
I too find this to be new behavior.  I used to upload all my images from Lightroom Classic, then on another laptop I would open Lightroom CC and Edit in Photoshop.  
Now this feature no longer works because it only allows me to edit Smart Previews.

I have spoken to Adobe support, and to the escalation ticket.  They inform me that Classic only uploads smart previews, however I have thousands of photos which were uploaded in Classic and were edited.  This seems to be something new that has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not want to try to use Lightroom Classic and Lightroom on the same computer. It will not work the way you think it should. Adobe does not recommend it. You can try to make it work but it won't and you will just become frustrated. Don't do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what is your recommendation for the workflow I need

500-1000 images - in LR classic

25 selects -> LR CC

I use CC for 2 reasons

1) sharing to Instagram from the phone

2) making images available that I can edit in Photoshop when I am travelling.

LR CC seemed like it could support both 1 and 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't share to Instagram, so I can't really give you any advice there. If you create a collection of the 25 images that you want to edit (in Lightroom Classic) and share that collection then you can edit those images while you are on the road. The adjustments you make will transfer back to Lightroom Classic. I don't know if that workflow will work for you or not. Probably not, because to edit in Photosho you would want the full-sized images. So that means you would want the full-sized images in Lightroom for the cloud. Just don't migrate a catalog. Keep them separate. If you import the images to Lightroom for the cloud they will automatically be added to your Lightroom Classic catalog as well. If you DON'T migrate the catalog then Lightroom Classic can still be your controlling version. If you migrate the catalog then Lightroom for the cloud pretty much takes over control. Just don't expect perfect coordination of everything because I have found that sometimes things don't quite work the way I expect them to. Good luck. I know, that isn't a very good answer. But the system isn't really as perfected as it should be. You will just have to play with it and figure out what works best because the way you want to use it just seems to sort of work. What you are looking for (I think) is the best of both worlds. And it just isn't there yet. So in the meantime you'll have to create your own hybrid "system" to make things work the way you want them to. This is especially true if you're going to use both versions on the same computer. I do it, and when things don't work out the way I expect them to then I just figure another way to do it because I know I'm not supposed to use the programs the way I'm doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines