• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to export high resolution jpgs from LR

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trouble exporting high-resolution jpgs from LR to use for large format prints.

original file is RAW, followed all the steps to import for print with 300dpi. Does anyone has other suggestions? Thank you. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot change the quality of an image file by changing the DPI (really it's PPI or pixels per inch). Regardless of what that setting is set to, the image will still have the same pixel dimensions, the same file size, the same image quality, no difference whatsoever. That setting will not change the picture content in any way. The only way you can have an image for large format prints is to have an image that has a lot more pixels.

Consider an image file that has 6000 x 4000 pixels. If you choose to print, for instance, an 8 x 10 or even a 16 x 20 print from such an image, it wouldn't matter whether the PPI was designated at 72 or 240 or 300 or 600. The image quality would remain precisely the same, and the print quality would remain the same as well. I've tried it with my own printer, and I've tried it by sending images to commercial printers. You cannot modify image quality by changing that PPI setting. The only way is to have more pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, thank you for your reply and the clarification. So, how do I find out the PPI setting or how much pixels the image has. It was shot in RAW, edited in LR - my understanding was that shooting in RAW gives you the biggest possible file size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shooting raw will give you the biggest file size as far as the number of megabytes in the file, but it's the number of pixels that matter. If you're going to send the image to a commercial lab to be printed you'll have to send a copy of that raw image, usually a JPEG anyway. What are the pixel dimensions of the image you are working with? For instance, the camera I use takes images that are 6000 x 4000 pixels. What is the size of your images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, my RAW files are 5760x3840, as per standard settings on the camera. So there should be enough data to print large scale. I'm not sure, why it doesn't transfer into LR? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define large scale. And what do you mean when you say doesn't transfer into Lightroom?

Large-scale images will be viewed from a distance and therefore don't need to be printed at 300 PPI. Given the resolution of your images, you could consider a print resolution of 200 PPI, and could produce images measuring roughly 19 x 28". Of course if you print an image that size that is what the PPI would be regardless of what the setting is in the image file. If you want images larger than that then you need more pixels unless you can deal with even lower resolution such as 150 PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I just meant that somewhat LR is not exporting them as high-resolution jpg's. I followed the export with all the settings for high-resolution jpg's, but the jpg's it's exporting are not even enough to print an 8x10? Final jgp size is around 1-5MB - Is there another way to export them you know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your export dialogue showing the settings you have chosen? Also, 1-5 MB file size doesn't really tell me anything. The key to quality printing is the number of pixels in the image, and you can't determine that by looking at the size of the JPEG file. And just to clarify, are you using Lightroom for the cloud or Lightroom Classic? There's a big difference when it comes to saving files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using LR classic. Here's the export settings. Thank you. export.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your export settings like right. The JPEG image format is a highly compressed format, and the file size can vary greatly depending on the content of the image. Without seeing any of your images, it is difficult to determine what the size of those image files "should" be. Are any of those images cropped? Would you care to share any of your images that others might examine them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, if that helps. I attach you two of them. They only have basic LR edits. I upload two examples... should I upload the original or edited file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, just upload the JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. thank you for looking at this. VANHOOK_hugpoint_2019-7.jpgVANHOOK_hugpoint_2019-42.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That method didn't work. It only gave me the small one that was on the web. You need to use another method that will provide me a link to the image with the real filename and the full-size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera are you using? Make and model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon 5D Mark III, 24-70mm - I need to figure out how to send the files. Off to work now. Will be back. Thanks again for looking into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a Dropbox account, you could share the file using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines