• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using CC and Classic together (without duplicating files)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently moved to CC as my primary editor, and I'm very pleased with the decision in general.

However, I still need to use CC Classic for both Printing and the Book Module.

Lightroom CC is synchronising pictures with the Adobe Cloud and backing them up to a local hard drive - all good.

However, if I try to synchronise the collections from CC with Classic then classic downloads the originals all over again from the cloud. (which is both time consuming and space wasting).

So the question is:

How do I make Lightroom Classic refer to the original files on the local drive for collections shared with CC.

All the best

Jonathan Slack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathanslack  wrote

How do I make Lightroom Classic refer to the original files on the local drive for collections shared with CC.

You would import them into LR Classic, disabling sync, and repeating the adjustments. Or maybe just save high res files from LRCC and import them into Lightroom. There is more than one approach, depending on your needs.

Adobe haven't recommended using the two apps together like this. You either go for cloud-dependent LRCC, or you keep control of your own originals using Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There John

Thank you for getting back so quickly.

That's really sad - I was enjoying CC very much, but I do need to print - and you can't print from CC, and the book module is invaluable when shooting weddings.

It also seems rather silly as the collections show properly in Classic with adjustments, and the RAW files are available locally - you can even reference them (but you need to do it day by day).

So, how can I print from Lightroom CC?

Will there be a print module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't be surprised if LRCC eventually had printing, but I would expect the feature to be more like its export function Save To, which isn't as flexible or powerful as Lightroom's long-established feature.

If you want to persist with LRCC, then maybe the way forward is (paraphrasing you) to sync the collections from CC with Classic, downloading the originals all over again from the cloud but (which is both time consuming and space wasting) but don't save the LRCC originals after they appear in your catalogue or rely on its local storage. So import into LRCC, using it to get stuff to the cloud, let originals and adjustments appear in Classic (but not keywords which Adobe decided not to sync). Effectively you're then a Classic user, just using LRCC to get full res files in the cloud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There John

That's good thinking - I actually really like doing adjustments (and importing etc). on my iPad Pro - your solution is probably a good one. and of course it's easy to turn off local storage in CC.

The keywords is not a worry anyway, but I do like the filtering options in Classic better.

I'll try this. It looks like a way forward.

There must be a lot of people who prefer the speed / battery life / rendering of CC, but still need some of the features of Classic on rare occasions.

I'll report back on this option and leave this open as I guess there will be others who are interested.

Thanks again

all the best

Jonathan Slack (www.slack.co.uk)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

i am successfully using both programs together with 50k photos. I guess it is not supported, because it has quite a few quirks but it is doable, have a look here:

Lightroom Classic as backup client

I am using Lightroom Classic because I want to have a robust backup. So I do not use the local backup of Lightroom CC because it does not include the xmps, i.e. my edits. Use the Lightroom Classic sync as a more complete backup. Always import into cloud based Lightroom CC. Files you delete in CC are not automatically deleted in classic. Videos loose their sync from the beginning. If you know all this, it is doable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi There Donald

Thank you very much for this - and thank you for the links as well. I'm going to give this a go and see how I get on.

I'll post more later.

best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines