Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Lightroom CC with a NAS and no cloud

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I am currently using Lightroom CC with the 1 TB cloud. I would very much like to have all the photos on my NAS available for Lightroom CC without having to buy so much cloud storage. On my NAS there are about 16 TB photos and that would be too expensive to monthly rent from Adobe. Is there a way to pay the monthly fee for using LR CC & PS CC without having to buy all the storage from Adobe?

If not, I will not be able to use these services anymore.

Thanks,

Oliver

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic uses local storage but to use it your LR Classic program has to have access to that local storage so there's no way to access those photos elsewhere on other devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ssprengel: In which way does that help me with anything I inquired?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe what he was suggesting is that if you want to use Lightroom with no cloud access then Lightroom Classic is what you must choose. Images are stored locally rather than in the cloud, and you don't have access to those images on other devices. But it does reduce the amount of cloud storage that you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough: I want access from all devices, with cloud access (i.e. my own NAS). I will gladly pay Adobe for using the software, but I cannot pay for using 16 TB of (Adobe) cloud storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To put it plain and simple, it doesn't work that way. That's all there is to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it isn't possible Oliver.

The Cloid Based Lightroom does have the option to store originals externally, but this is a mirror of what is in the cloud and it's main purpose is for faster access to each photo (cuts downloading time if cycling through quickly) or for offline use.

The photos always reside in the Cloud.

Lightroom Classic would be the best option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not sync Collections from Classic as an option? These would then be available on all devices without taking up Cloud space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the direct response! 

Could you please let me know, how they would be accessible on all devices? Only all devices that run Lightroom Classic, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, that is not right. When you create collections of images in Lightroom Classic and choose to share those collections, they are shared with Lightroom for the cloud and therefore are available on all other mobile devices. They are shared as Smart previews, not full-sized images. But they are large enough to be edited, and the adjustments made on those mobile devices, tablets, other computers will affect the  images in Lightroom Classic on the main computer where the master images are stored. The Smart previews do not impact your allotted cloud storage, so you have unlimited storage for these collections in Lightroom for the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines