Highlighted

Was LR CC ever tested with large libraries?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 300,000 pictures uploaded to LR CC and it is simply unworkable.

I will skip the part of troubles it was to move the library from LR CC Classic to LR CC.... After 8 weeks of upload, I finally got everything up in the cloud.

The LR CC Desktop app is so slow to fetch any pictures it can even take hours of spinning before the a picture will load.  I have more luck using the web based site, much faster.

I also tried to sync back  LR CC Classic to the cloud, it has been downloading for weeks and has only 25000 picture yet of the 300,000.

Anyway, if someone at ADOBE is looking for a real life case to improve all this, please contact me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Was LR CC ever tested with large libraries?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 300,000 pictures uploaded to LR CC and it is simply unworkable.

I will skip the part of troubles it was to move the library from LR CC Classic to LR CC.... After 8 weeks of upload, I finally got everything up in the cloud.

The LR CC Desktop app is so slow to fetch any pictures it can even take hours of spinning before the a picture will load.  I have more luck using the web based site, much faster.

I also tried to sync back  LR CC Classic to the cloud, it has been downloading for weeks and has only 25000 picture yet of the 300,000.

Anyway, if someone at ADOBE is looking for a real life case to improve all this, please contact me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 05, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two different Lightrooms for two different types of users. In my opinion (and this is only my opinion), Lightroom CC is not designed for someone who has a large library such as yourself that needs careful management. Lightroom CC is designed more for the user who wants quick access to images across multiple devices, and a quick way to have those images shared via the web. If you have a huge library that you want to carefully manage then I think it would be much better to use Lightroom Classic CC where you have much more precise control over where the images are stored and how they are organized. Additionally, at least presently the editing tools are much more robust in Lightroom Classic CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim,  I do get your point and indeed for now I do all in Classic.  I must say I like the concept of LR CC and I hope they can improve the performances.

I will wait a few months and if there's no significant improvements I will go back to subscription without the 5TB space.  It will be Adobe lost.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 0
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may also be worth posting on the following forum also, as Adobe engineers monitor there and I'm sure they'll appreciate the feedback:

Lightroom CC for Desktop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 1
Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I’ve wondered myself how Lr CC would handle a very large library. I also wonder how large a library Adobe has tested it with. Of course internet speed will be a factor for uploads and downloads. I’m assuming you have good, dependable internet. Not everyone does. It’s interesting to me that you find the web connection the fastest. I find Lightroom web is really slow to enter the edit mode, but everything else seems pretty responsive. I’ve only tested it with a small number of images though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2019 0
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to know what options you've set on the Preferences>Local Storage tab. Could you post a screenshot of that tab, maybe we can make some suggestions to help improve the performance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR CC Preferences.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System

C drive is SSD 1TB  with still 370GB free space
D is a Raid 10 of 4 X 8TB  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 0
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of setup is the D drive? How is it connected?

We've seen a couple of reports of slowness when the "Store a Copy of Originals" was enabled and the images were on a Drobo or NAS setup (not all, of course). As an experiment, you could try disconnecting the D drive, restart LRCC and see what effect, if any, it has on performance. You'll get a warning, of course, to the effect that LRCC will need to temporarily download originals from the cloud, but that'll only be for images that you try to edit....for browsing/organising that shouldn't be needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 1
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Drive is a SATA RAID10 of 4 X 8TB drive

So I closed the LR CC app ,renamed the folder on D and restarted and indeed it is much faster...

The quest is why, if the browsing only access the low resolution version stored on C drive, why does it affect the performances that much?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 0
Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

myself514  wrote

D Drive is a SATA RAID10 of 4 X 8TB drive

So I closed the LR CC app ,renamed the folder on D and restarted and indeed it is much faster...

The quest is why, if the browsing only access the low resolution version stored on C drive, why does it affect the performances that much?

I would guess that there are some connectivity issues in LRCC desktop when the originals are stored locally on specific drive types/connections. In the cases that I mentioned, switching to a standard USB external drive improved things enormously (mine are on such a drive, again no issues). All we can do is let the engineers know and trust that they'll fix the issue in due course.

In the meantime, you have a decision to make....if you specifically want a local copy, you might think about trying a standard USB external drive for it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 06, 2019 0