• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is the Lightroom Catalog, not the LR Classic one, but Lightroom?

Contributor ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set Lightroom to save files to a specific folder and assumed that the catalog was there, too. Now I've opened LR Classic and I want it to import the information from that catalog but I can't find it. Where does LR put it? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Er....no, that's not the way to do it. The simple way is to use the syncing capabilities that you're paying for in your subscription. Just enable the Classic catalog to sync, and it will then download into the catalog everything that exists in your cloud space. It downloads the a copy of the originals, complete with edits, and it will maintain those files in sync when you do any further work on them (in any of the linked apps, i.e. LrMobile, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, LrWeb). A few things do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom "catalog" is always stored on the local system drive, even though you can store a copy of the original image files on a different drive (as you have done). However, it is NOT in the same format as the Lr Classic catalogs, and so cannot be imported into Classic.

Tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve and I'm sure we'll be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Simply, I wanted to save the changes I made in Lightroom to Lightroom Classic. If LR can't be imported into LRC, then I have no choice but to reimport the files into LRC. Fortunatly, I didn't do any heavy edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Er....no, that's not the way to do it. The simple way is to use the syncing capabilities that you're paying for in your subscription. Just enable the Classic catalog to sync, and it will then download into the catalog everything that exists in your cloud space. It downloads the a copy of the originals, complete with edits, and it will maintain those files in sync when you do any further work on them (in any of the linked apps, i.e. LrMobile, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, LrWeb). A few things do not sync between Classic and the cloud, specifically keywords, location data (though GPS data does sync), face recognition data and any user presets that you create or install.

Before you start, checkout the Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab, there you will see the option to specify your own location for the downloaded images, and an additional option to use one of the standard dated folder schemes (I have all such downloads from my phone snaps go into my main Lightroom Classic folder scheme). 

If you want to, you can also upload any/all of your Classic images to the cloud (though Classic does not upload originals, only smart previews, though those are generally fine for editing/viewing on your other devices). The good news is that smart previews uploaded from Classic are not counted against your cloud space allowance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines