• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I add photos to Lightroom? (New user)

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added Lightroom to my new MacBook Air. When I try to add photos, I get a message saying "Checking free space on disk" (there should be plenty!)......and then nothing seems to happen for a very long time. Meanwhile, I've tried several times to just create an empty album to put these photos in once they are imported, but nothing seems to appear there after I title it. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance. (BTW I have used Photoshop for years- just new to Lightroom.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the Lightroom Preferences>Local Storage tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure- here it is.

My photo library is on iCloud. I was trying to add 22 photos that I'd downloaded to a folder.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.10.44 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at that screenshot, it would seem that Lightroom is having trouble reading the system drive. You say this is a new MBA, is it running Catalina by chance? If so, it may be a Catalina-inspired permissions issue, in which you need to check the permissions and make sure Lightroom is fully enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for your help! Yes, it's running Catalina 10.15.6 . How would I go about checking the permissions and enabling Lightroom? At what level would I be doing that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines