• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Lightroom CC taking up so much space?

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set Lightroom backup my photos to a local drive named "Stronghold" in addition to being saved in the cloud. I usually import my photos into Lightroom on my laptop and then plug in my hard drive (Stronghold) every few weeks to transfer all of the photos (as the first picture shows).

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.46.30 AM.png

So why is the "Lightroom" folder in my Pictures folder taking up so much space? It's almost as large as my entire Lightroom catalog in the cloud:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.44.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.43.38 AM.png

In addition to the Lightroom folder, there is a file named "Lightroom Library.lrlibrary" on my laptop that is significantly smaller:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.43.45 AM.png

Here's what the folder looked like on Stronghold before opening Lightroom and transferring everything over:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.28.52 AM.png

Don't worry about the modification date, it doesn't change if a folder inside has been modified. Here it is transferring after I plugged in Stronghold:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.31.28 AM.png

Here's the Lightroom CC folder on Stronghold after:

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.36.00 AM.png

The Lightroom folder on my laptop stayed the same size.

How can I get rid of the folder on my laptop and make sure that it always moves everything to my hard drive (Stronghold)? Also, why is the folder on my hard drive so large compared to my cloud library? When I delete things, are they not removed from local storage?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is probably a holdover from previously (were you Classic before by any chance?) and not actually currently used by Lightroom. If everything is currently synced with the cloud (if you click on the little cloud icon in Lightroom and it says "Synced and Backed up) you should be able to just delete the Lightroom folder (I would back it up first before trying this). The only thing you need is the .lrlibrary file. The rest is all stored in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines