• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is local storage so large despite 0% cache setting?

New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting started with Lightroom and importing photos from another location. However, as I go through the process, my local hard drive is filling up. It's to the point where I can no longer import new photos. 

So doing some investigating, the Lightroom "data" folder is almost 30GB in size despite the fact that I only have 8GB left free on my drive. As a result, everything is grinding to a halt.

My options are set to 0% of disk space for local cache. (I had it at 5% and that didn't seem to work either.)

I've restarted Lightroom several times, and that doesn't seem to help either.

What am I missing? Shouldn't almost all of the photos be entirely in the cloud?

Thanks for any assistance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after doing some more experimenting, testing, and reading, I take it that the local originals file will only be cleared out "intelligently" by Lightroom. Well, it's not clearing them out in an efficient way for my workflow. I went in and seletively removed some from the local drive. 

Lightroom seemed just happy as can be to work without them locally. When I'd open one in lightroom and look at it in maximum magnification, it would reappear in the originals folder. I suppose it downloads it again for local work. 

So I *think* it's safe to delete them from the originals folder manually. Seems like an odd oversight by Adobe, at least as concerns my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a bug. Adobe is aware of it and is looking into it. You can manually delete those photos from the originals folder that are already synced to the cloud (click the 'i' button in the lower right corner). 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines