Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there JPEG file size difference at export Lr vs Lr Classic

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi photo lovers,

In my adoption of the newest Lightroom (cloud-based) I noticed that the Full size JPEG export file size of Lightroom is much smaller than Lightroom Classic. See screenshot below.

I use the same RAW picture, exported unedited from both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic as full quality JPEG in sRBG color. In Classic that is with settings "quality 100" and in Lr  that is "full size JPEG".

However, the exported JPEG from Lightroom Classic is 13MB of size and the JPEG from Lightroom is 9,6MB of size.

My question: How can this be, where does the significant difference in file size come from?

More importantly: Does the newest Lightroom export JPEGs that are of lower quality versus the Lightroom Classic JPEGs?

I really hope an expert can explain me what is going on, otherwise I'm a bit hesitant on switching over from Classic to cloud-based Lightroom

BTW, I'm running on Lightroom Classic version 8.3 and Lightroom (cloud) version 2.3.

Bye,

JP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Have a read of this article from Jeffrey Friedl, which should put your mind at rest: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference will be down to compression. You are using a setting of 100 in Classic whereas Lightroom is probably around 90 for a slightly more efficient export without any noticeable loss of quality for most purposes. Adobe is rapidly adding new features to Lightroom, so I think we are bound to see more export options in future releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 99jon,

Thank you for the quick reply.

It is a 33% difference in size size, do you believe that is the results of slight compression or is there more to it? It seems like a lot without any noticeable loss of quality.

Is there a way we can get Adobe's technical answer to this? I think it will interest a lot of prosumers and pro's as it effects their output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best place for that is the “get satisfaction feedback” forum. That is where the Adobe Engineers assess feature requests. If you search for export related topics you should be able to add your vote together with comments.

Lightroom Desktop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 99jon,

Thank you for the link, very interesting and insightful.

I tested the export at different levels of quality of Lightroom Classic based on the information of the article. Every quality output except for the very highest bracket is smaller in size than the Lr Cloud.

Quite convinced now that I'm not losing anything with the full size export of Lightroom Cloud.

Thank you much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a read of this article from Jeffrey Friedl, which should put your mind at rest: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines