• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workarounds for inability to search by date?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to be corrected, but there seems to be no way to filter by capture date in Lightroom CC. The only thing I can think of is to create temporary keywords for dates then delete them when I'm done.

What is everyone else doing? Seems like it'd be a pretty common task.

To be specific, what's wanted is to filter within an album or in the keyword search. Lightroom definitely has the ability to filter by date (in the By Date drop down) and to filter by album, but it does not allow you to filter by both.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in reverse.

On the left navigator choose the year or month yo uwould search for, then click in the top search bar and specify the album to filter it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Curt.

This doesn't seem to be working for me. 

I go to the left navigator and choose a year then either select 'Album' from the Metadata section in the drop down or type "album:" in the search bar. When I press 'enter' to search it removes the date filter and only the album filter remains.

It will not allow me to select both the album: and date filters. Step by step pics below.

jameskyle_0-1591347962448.png

jameskyle_1-1591348057134.png

Then, after pressing 'enter'

jameskyle_2-1591348144916.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.  I gave bad information.  Its just logical that you can combine the searches but i see it does not let you. Frustrating isnt it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be possible but the album needs to be selected first. The search filter will then say Search Archive (in this example) then simply type 2014 into the box and hit return/enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to search the folder, album names and file names for "2014" not the date created field.  No apparent way to search for created date.  BTW; If I search for 1966, the photo created date as 1966 does Not show up.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your year search shows 1965. I'm guessing that the results are due to a conflict with the file name and creation date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leaving numbers out of files names, I get no search results against creation date.  Do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it’s working for me. If I go to my Canyonlands album and type 2016 it returns the two photos captured in that year.

2016-results.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tested several different ways and find it very unrelaible.

Sometimes it finds a photo that has 1965 knowwhere visable in the "i".

If it sees 1965 as part of a random or purposeful filename, it seems to prioritize the text over the date field

If there is no 1965 anywhere else in keywords, filename, album name; it looks like it will find the create date.

So; it is unfortunatly not a reliable way to filter for date.  They need a Ceate date search field.  This is very commonly needed (in my case)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this several ways as well and it's very random. In more cases than not, it does not find the files I know have a capture date for that year.

Also, it appears impossible to search for a full date string..e.g. 'June 6, 2015'. When you hit enter, it splits them into two strings "June 6" and "2015".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned by Curt You can select By Date, and expand a year to choose a month.

It’s also possible to sort any album by capture date etc by using the sort filter at the bottom. You can also reverse the oder based on the sort criteria. See image below.

Capdate.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sometimes keep my Lightroom phone or tablet app open next to the desktop app which has more viewing options. For example, keep tapping with two fingers to cycle through the options. One of which is info displayed on thumbnails. See image below for my Canyonlands album where the photos were taken on many different dates.

PhoneShot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know the date, you can search by it I believe (or is this not what you are trying to achieve?)

i.e.

10 August  - will show all photos on 10 August, all years

10 August 2003 - will show that date

August 2018 - will show all the photos in that period

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually doesn't work. Check out the posts above where I and another poster are testing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works with numeric values starting with the month e.g. 10th August 2003 you would enter:

08/10/2003

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That seems to work only if the string you are searching for occurs nowhere else in the metadata.    There should be a specific date search that only searches the date taken field.  So this metod may work if you know the exact day you are searching for.   But for me I am usually wanting to search by year.  I am am fiding that the 4 digit year "string" occurs in randomlt generated filename quite often giving eronious results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines