• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow for shooting with iPhone and editing with Lightroom on iPad and Desktop

Contributor ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a pretty hardcore "prosumer" that has shot with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras for 20 years, I can't believe this has happened, but it has: I'm now exclusively an iPhone photographer. 

So, now I have to completely re-think my workflow, which was previously designed for shooting with a mirrorless (Fujifilm X-T3) and editing in LR on desktop. 

Here are my goals. I'm hoping you can help me figure out the best workflow:

• Use the built-in iPhone camera to shoot 
  • Be able to edit in LR on iPad and iPhone, along with other iOS editing apps (VSCO, Afterlight, Mextures) when a specific "look" is desired
  • Ability to sync photos between iOS and desktop, but only save "picks" from Camera Roll into LR (i.e. don't sync all of my Camera Roll photos into LR in iOS or desktop)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BDB (not the singer I presume?)

Everything imported into Lightroom Mobile will sync to Lightroom Desktop.

If you are going to use the native camera and not the Lightroom one, then there are only two options to import from the Camera Roll, manually from the app or setting Auro Import, although this imports everything.

Usiing the other apps from photos that reside  in Lightroom would require you probably use the Open In command or Share to. The current state of the edited file would be exported and when brought back into Lightroom from the other apps, all your previous Lightroom edits would no longer be non-destructive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Not the singer, but I do like his music. 

If I set LR Mobile to Auto Import, that means I'm essentially creating a duplicate of my Camera Roll in iOS in the LR cloud? 

For the past several years, I shot with a Fujifilm X-T3 and organized/edited in LR Classic. The vast majority of my photos are organized into collections here. Most recently, I've been shooting with the Camera app and editing in Darkroom or Snapseed. I now have several albums in Photos.

Now I'm considering switching to Lightroom Mobile on desktop and using Lightroom CC (I know it isn't called that but just trying to be clear) as my primary editing app on the iPad and iPhone so that everything is in one place and I'm getting the benefits of the LR ecosystem. I will still use LR Classic to print, but otherwise it seems like a combination of LR CC (desktop) and LR Mobile might meet my needs. I guess I need to commit to one process or another; otherwise I'll end up with photos in too many different places. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines