• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum connections allowed for AMS 5.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I find out the maximum connection allowed for adobe media server 5.0.1 standard license?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no connection limit on AMS standard, your limits will be network or hardware limits

The developer edition of AMS does have a 10 connection max.

For scaling RTMP and HTTP delivery and adding redundancy to your setup please look into clustering servers and deploying edges [1], and http caching [2]

Let me know if this answers your question

Thanks

Conor

[1] Adobe Media Server 5.0.6 * Scaling the server

[2] Varnish sample code for HDS and HLS failover | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conor for your answer. The error message we got from our AMS is about license thou. Here is the message:

[License.Limit.Exceeded]: (_defaultRoot_,_defaultVHost_): Max connections allowed exceeds license limit. Rejecting connection to: Vod/mp4:VTS.mp4

The Video is about 15 min long (99MB). We have about 5,000 internal users. The server is brand new (Window 2008 R2, 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS, 500 GB hard drive,).

Can you advice on what to do in order to allow our 5000 users to access this video?

Thanks

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in your VHost.xml have you set a MaxConnections limit ?

what is set under this block ?

<ResourceLimits>
<!-- Max number of clients that can connect to this vhost when running as local.  -->
<!-- enforced by License key -->
<MaxConnections>-1</MaxConnections>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't. I thought -1 is the default for unlimited. Should I set it to 5000 which is the total users on our network?

Thanks

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, -1 should be default and mean unlimited.

Can you please try the latest AMS release, 5.0.6, here [1] ?

[1] http://www.adobe.com/support/flashmediaserver/downloads_updaters.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a licensing limit.if you open your licensing file(.lic) you may see something like

<limit name="rtmp-connections">xxxxx</limit>

<limit name="rtmfp-connections">xxxxx</limit>

This may give you an idea about your licensing restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have .lic file. In side the license folder, there are sif.bin files only. I manually entered in the license number. On Admin console-->License tab, this is the info listed: "Standard 5.0.1 r1076".

Can you help direct me to where I can find the license limit with my case?

Thank you.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ask adobe for the same...It looks like the license key you may be entering is not valid.

Please ask your vendor for the license key?

BTW, if your license key(as entered in ams.ini file) is invalid you should see something like this in your AMS logs(amsedge, admin or amsmaster).

2014-11-1022:35:3812904(w)2581154Invalid license key : 589312248199710-

P.S I am assuming you are talking about rtmp connections and not rtmfp connections...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The license is valid. I just don't have .lic file anywhere on the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you serve 5000 users?

How much internet bandwidth do you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...that would depend on your application.

For a one-way video-on-demand system that streams recorded video at the user's request. Adobe Media Server serves only one stream to each user.

Here are the bandwidth calculations you would make:

• Calculating server bandwidth needs (BWs):
    BWs = N × S
    where N = number of simultaneous users (subscribers)
    and S = average bitrate of encoded A/V content

For example to calculate the overall server bandwidth needed to stream video encoded at 500 Kbps to 1000 simultaneous users:

500 Mbps = 1000 × 500 Kbps

The above assumes that content is encoded at a constant bitrate. Most often, however, you will vary the bitrate of the content to suit the viewing audience. This affects your bandwidth needs at both the client and server level.

For example, suppose you estimated that half of the 1000 simultaneous users were going to connect via 350 Kbps DSL modem and the other half via 3 Mbps cable modem. Suppose further that while the video encoded at 500 Kbps was appropriate for the cable viewers, you wanted to encode a separate video at 150 Kbps for the DSL modem users.

In this case, the total bandwidth required of the system is lowered to 325 Mbps:

325 Mbps = (500 Kbps × 500) + (150 Kbps × 500)

This help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Connor.

I apreciate your help, but it doesnt answer my question at all.

The calculation BWs = N × S is the standard for any media server software. This is the scenario for a unicast application.

However, Adobe Media Server does multicast and peer-to-peer, then I want to know how much bandwidth is needed with the help of multicast.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case of multicast(i.e when you are using RTMFP and not rtmp), it is the router which does the multicast and hence there is no significant load on AMS server when doing multicast...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

So, can I broadcast live from a 15Mbps upload internet when having help of multicast?

Every viewer will watch the same event at the same time, so everyone can help in P2P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P2P and multicast are two different things...Yes the load in multicast is at router.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm new in this thing.

Could you help me with the difference between these two?

All I want to know is if can I live broadcast to thousands of people through AMS without use neither a CDN nor a service like Livestream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see Rtmfp API

and at the bottom of it are links to video presentations on RTMFP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I had already read the RTMFP  FAQ, but read again.

Read the Cirrus page, too, and it didn't added much new information.

Will now see the video Future of Communication with RTMFP by Matthew Kaufman in the last link you provided.

hparmar

Do you use AMS? To deliver live video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines