Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dear, adobe mixamo team.

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear team Adobe Mixamo.

Hello, I'm a master's student in computer science.

Using characters, animations, etc. provided by Mixamo, we intend to repeatedly collect random motion datasets using Blender or Maya tools and apply them to thesis and research activities.

Such dataset collectied using Mixamo, Maya, Blender etc. as "Collection of datasets", "Papers using datasets", "Sharing public datasets" and "Patent applications using datasets" will be used to conduct research, so we would like to ask if they are copyright violations before conducting research activities.

I would like to confirm that once future research activities are completed, there is a concern that copyright or other legal issues may disrupt the progress of the research.

I am inquiring because there is a warning related to machine learning in law 6.18 on the https://www.adobe.com/kr/legal/terms.html site.

Please take good care of my research activities so that there will be no disruption.

Thank you.

Have a happy 2023.

From Tommy 1029.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*** Moved from the Korean Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the concern over legal / copy issues is a valid one... you can't just "conduct research" and expect that to blanket cover every senario

if this future "conduct research" is used to try machine learning then YES it does become a problem and your paper will be against the terms of use Adobe pulled out of their backside when they made Mixamo assets avalable so the way you cover yourself is to carry that restriction on i.e, this data can NOT be used to "conduct research" of machine learning clause needs to be added... that way people that ignore the rules are putting the results on them not you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ussnorway Thank you for your reply.

Excuse me, but I'm asking if you're an official Adobe or Mixamo employee.

In fact, I understood half of your answer and half didn't.

My understanding is as follows.

Papers and patents created by collecting machine learning data and conducting research using Adobe's tools can be copyright violations from the time Adobe manages Mixamo's assets.

=> "Related papers and patents can be withdrawn from the point of asset management."

Also, I didn't understand the meaning of i.e. It may be cumbersome, but I ask for an additional explanation.

Also, I didn't understand the meaning of i.e. It may be cumbersome, but I ask for an additional explanation.

I found papers published using Mixamo and Blander now.

Maybe it's a case of solving the copyright problem.

The research I want to do is to design characters directly using Mixamo and Blander and collect datasets using animations of the characters.

It is essential to conduct deep learning research with the collected data.

In this situation, I ask if there is any way to prevent copyright infringement by paying additional costs.

Thank you.

From tommy1029.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1 no i don't work for Adobe, i was an ACP with them but quit and now i'm just a guy that knows the software

2 i.e, is Latin abbreviations of "in essence", an alternative way of saying "in other words"

3 Mixamo / Fuse was a company Adobe gobbled up for the staff and about 2 years later added the no learning clause... Fuse is the software that makes the character and Mixamo is the rigging service to add bones / animation

if you want to make characters then perhaps the old Fuse {free on Steam} is something you can use? the characters are more cartoon like but they are the same mesh as Adobes Fuse and you can [with some skill] convert them

Adobe still holds the Mixamo licence for now and that software controls rigging bones or adding animation [as long as you don't use it for Machine learning or redistribute assets]... no you can't pay extra to bypass this licence as Adobe didn't make the software and own it "as is"

if you want to get around the copywright then the only real option left open is to not use Mixamo as your rigging / animation system... the Iclone 7 is what i use but its $ and only Windows but the older Iclone 6 can still be grabbed on student licence terms [you want the 3dexchange too which has been made part of the character maker in current builds] there are lots of old youtube vids showing you how to convert Fuse into Iclone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines