• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to share a Mixamo character as a "Base Character" for a plugin I'm developing?

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm an Unreal Engine 4 Technical Animator, and last year I released a plugin for UE4 called Rigel, which in short is an "All in One" full body motion capture plugin, supporting various hardware ( Vive Trackers, VR Gloves, iPhone, and so on ).

As of now the plugin supports only the Unreal standard skeletal hierarchy, but I'm currently expanding the possibilty to natively support hierarchies from major DCCs ( Blender, HumanIK in Maya, CAT from 3ds, Daz3d, and so on ), and I would also like to include Mixamo.

My question is the following:

I'm currently using the "Passive Marker Man" as the test subject for the setup, but I would like to also ship the updated plugin including this character as the "base character" for the Mixamo setup, which the user can later replace with another Mixamo character.

Legally speaking, it would be possible to do something like that? Or I can't share the character in any form using with my plugin, and I need to just ( for example ) create a custom character mesh and bind it to the Mixamo skeleton, so that it won't be something that I took directly from the mixamo website?

An official answer from Adobe would be great to clarify any doubt I have about it.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas Esposito

www.enter-reality.it 

TOPICS
Character , Project Integration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. you will not get An official answer from Adobe because they don't know... Adobe is a bubble system and they didn't make Mixamo which means you use the old licence terms i.e, for making creative projects

2. Legally speaking, it would be a gray area but I would not use any 'Mixamo skeleton' included i.e, if the user of your software goes [themselves] to Mixamo and download z skeleton then imports it into your software as some kind of base to make their project then that is the work flow I would aim at

you can of course download your own 'Mixamo skeleton' in order to set the software up and that allows you to adjust things when Adobe decides to bugger all their models up next week with another Fbx untested upgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was asking because I saw that there are some courses online that do share both characters and animations from Mixamo ( udemy mostly ), so yes, is "a bit" confusing.

I need to check if I can create the setup and then remove the skeleton without causing any issues/crashes to the plugin, so fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines