• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran is busy copy-and-pasting the same corporate response to every thread and ignoring every question put to Adobe.

This is typical of Adobe behaviour over the past 10-15 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I QUOTE!

you ask about money spent from customers and the answer is : you will get another year of support from Adobe!

ADOBE ANSWER TO THE REAL QUESTIONS PLEASE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm in the same boat and it's disgusting that Adobe is pulling the plug on this amazing program! What's more, is that thousands, if not millions of us have become accustomed to using Muse for it's ease and creative approach to website building. With that being said, this is a CALL OUT TO SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS OUT THERE.

If anyone can build a software similar to MUSE with similar attributes and have it available as an OPEN SOURCE program like a few others do for 3D modeling and graphics, then lets team up and make this happen. Adobe's days are numbered as OPEN SOURCE is the key to software development. I am very upset with Adobe's decision but lets not make this a reason to rely on a major corporate place that controls our creativity by pulling the rug from under our feet. We are creative for a reason. Software developers, creative users, and business owners....LET'S UNITE and build a  better MUSE. We do not need ADOBE.

I'm sure this post will be deleted soon so if you are a dedicated MUSE user, copy this and send this out to everyone you know and lets start a group. Lets get this started. We don't need ADOBE. We refuse to be controlled. And unless this company has a replacement, let us, the people, make that replacement and lets make it better, faster, and universal for everyone to use! And  let's make it available to everyone for FREE!!!

Contact me at:  [Email removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said in my previous post, Spark is one of the solutions that was proposed, and not having it used myself, I am not sure about its flexibility or ease of migration. About Webflow, I am hoping that people that have used it will provide some clarity here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spark can create single pages and is extremely limited in what can be done. There are no third-party widgets or anything allowing creatives to push designs.

It is rather pathetic that Adobe are advocating customers go elsewhere, such as Webflow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so that we are clear here, the Spark solution being proposed isn't the same as the Spark page that exists today. It is more of a DIY website creation tool similar to some that are already popular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Spark is being redeveloped into something more powerful akin to Muse?

If so, when can we start learning and using it?

Will this too, be dropped, say in 2024?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to know is to sign up using the link provided. I am not privy to any of the prerelease builds, so I really don't know about its power or usability.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've provided my email, so waiting for access to the prerelease build.

Why not get someone here that can actually answer the technical questions Preran? / Someone from the Muse development team or Spark team.

Will Dreamweaver be updated to allow non-code creation?

We need answers Preran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, there are no plans to direct Dreamweaver towards a non-code creation software. For users that are conversant with HTML/CSS/JS, they can port their assets to Dreamweaver and reconstruct the site.

What are the technical questions? If i don't know the answers, I can try and get them for you from the team.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What like-for-like equivalent will Adobe provide, if any?

I used Dreamweaver in the past and can code, but find it far more satisfying and quicker to get the responses I require from Muse.

Or will Adobe just be abandoning this customer-base that used Muse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can do coding as well. The clients I’m serving are not willing to pay for the time it takes to code using Dreamweaver.  I’ve built I built a business using Muse and business catalyst. I had begun using an Mac app called Blocs  about three years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe are not going to continue with Muse why not:

RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE TO THE COMMUNITY!

Rather than let this programme - and all the widgets, plug-ins and tools for it - die.

This is the very least Adobe could do for users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Responsive System Design from coffeecup.com it works with both bootstrap,  grids, flexbot, and code through their code editor page.  And it is priced great.  Use the PS files and AI files for images and Adobe premiere for video creation... works together  nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CoffeeCup products appeal to non-coders as well as seasoned experts.  They have been making web design software since 1996, so they know what people want.   You can select just the apps you need or save about 60% and get the Responsive Design Pack bundle.   21-day trial available.

Responsive Design Pack -- 8 desktop apps available for Windows or Mac.  Price:  USD  $349  

Responsive Design Software, HTML Editor & CSS Grid Builder | CoffeeCup Software

Bundle includes:

• Site Designer - Build responsive sites with Foundation or Bootstrap frameworks without coding.
  • Responsive E-mail Designer
  • Responsive Content Slider
  • Web Form Builder (generates PHP scripts)
  • Form Designer (Beta)
  • Sonar
  • Website Insights
  • CSS Grid Builder

Individual & multi-license pricing also available.

Pricing Information | CoffeeCup Software Store

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTH!??? I can't code in Dreamweaver! This is ridiculous! Going to go over to learn WordPress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran

I was using dreamweaver even before Adobe got involved in it - with the introduction of Muse, I thought Adobe were moving forward - do you really expect me to go back to dreamweaver after all these years - I've been with muse since the free trial downloads pre-release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear that we can't design new sites in a program that is disappearing. Can you give us some guidance about how to "port" the current sites we have into Dreamweaver? Is there some way to migrate large and complex sites into a program that can read the code and do updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, I will give my 2 cents here as someone dealing with the same issue.

As far as I know, there is no way to directly port Muse files over to another app, including Dreamweaver. The files are proprietary to Muse, just as InDesign files are useful only in InDesign.

However, there are options. For instance, MuseXPress converts Muse sites into WordPress themes where you can continue the same look and feel of the site. I haven't used that tool yet, but here's a link to it: MusexPress - Adobe Muse and WordPress - Adobe Muse CMS

That probably won't help with a large site, however. It seems most useful for making WP themes out of Muse sites.

As stated above in my quickie review of Pinegrow, that app can take Muse generated code and handle it fine ... as far as I can tell. I haven't run it through the wringer yet, so I'm sure there are some wrinkles in that process too. Nevertheless, that seems like the best current approach to handling a large Muse site and it's likely what I'll be doing.

I'm not sure how good Wappler is at manipulating an existing website, or how well Webgrow handles it. Unfortunately, Dreamweaver does a poor job of handling Muse generated code.

I think in answer to your question though, the only way to handle porting a large and complex Muse site to another program is to export the site as HTML and then open it in one of the apps discussed in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  In MU, go to File > Export to HTML.   Note where you save the files.

2.  In  DW., go to Site > New Site.  Give it a name (any name will do) and tell DW where your site files are located.  Example, C:\MyTestSite.

CC-localsite.jpg

3.  Hit Save. 

Open your Files Panel (F8) to see your local site files.  To open a file,  double click on it.

CC-StarterPageAssets.jpg

Nobody said MU generated code is fun to work with.  My advice is to rebuild your site responsively & to modern coding standards at your earliest opportunity.   

When the time comes, look at the Bootstrap Starter Templates in DW.  You'll find them under File > New > Starter Templates.

CC-StarterPage.jpg

Best of luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that you pose that question, reveals that you might have been watching too many sci-fi movies, in which the hero jumps out of a crashed aircraft, tows it to a workshop, opens some panels, swaps a few modules, switches a few levers, and frantically yells "Right, come on, we're getting outta here, quick !"

What you see as the sheer design of a webpage is not all that matters. Don't think "huh, it's all HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, isn't it?" There's so much more convoluted stuff happening under the hood, especially with regards to CSS and scripts.

Getting a website as-is ported to a different platform and hoping for a lift-off, is truly close to rocket science...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There still seems to be huge misunderstandings regarding websites. A website as we know it today, requires a rendering engine which is built into each browser. This rendering engine can only interpret

• markup language (HTML)
  • style rules (CSS)
  • client side code (JS)

When you use Muse, the code that you are producing is unique to Muse, it cannot be handled by any other program, it cannot even be read by a browser. For this reason, you must export the Muse file to HTML (Ctrl+E) for it to be published as a web site. When you want to make a change, you can only do this in Muse using the original files - not the exported files - after which you must re-export to HTML Although the process is called Export, the fact is that Muse compiles the raw Muse code to a browser readable format which is HTML.

Contrary to what is being said in this forum, HTML, CSS, and JS are no more than text based files that can be manipulated using any text editor, even our humble Notepad. This means that the code can be used in any text editor program like Dreamweaver, Pinegrow, Wappler etc. etc. Not one of these programs make it easier or harder to edit the files except for what they offer as assistance. Dreamweaver, despite being touted as a WYSIWYG program, is void of most of the graphic tools that you have been used to in Muse. Extensions to Dreamweaver may help, but the likes of Pinegrow and Wappler have those tools already built in.

Does this mean that it is harder to use Dreamweaver? On the contrary, it means that Dreamweaver is not bound to any program specific parameter.

dougcoms​ - for any savvy person, the switch of a website to Dreamweaver is a cinch.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye - No it is not rocket science, but then to a surgeon, removing an appendix is no rocket science either.

As a closing note, I have been involved with moving sites produced by Muse to Dreamweaver and it is easy as obtaining a site made using Dreamweaver from another developer. In fact, I use three programs for the same code Dreamweaver, Brackets and Wappler. If one of these has an EOL, I'll continue without it.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, to those familiar with it, anything can be easy-peasy !

And Muse often makes users (designers) feel and believe they can fly – a rocket, an Airbus, the USS Enterprise...

But Muse rarely powers any vessels much bigger than a professional drone or a one-man aircraft, to extend the comparison.

Back to our area of expertise.

Designers are pretty well able to handle the structured idea behind HTML and the DOM. It won't be a fun experience, but hey, it's just formatting, they'll get it. And when the software offers nice buttons and menus to set headings and lists, they'll manage.

The concepts behind CSS are a bit more complex (that cascading thing can be tricky), but as long as an interface takes care of the proper selectors, properties, and values, a world of beauty opens up to them. After all, it's just a syntax for setting a design.

But JavaScripts, that's where designers are lost. That's not formatting or setting a value – that's programming.

It also becomes immediately clear when you see how designers would like to envision and build a website and how software renders this concept. A developer has no problem setting up a website by using files, simply presented as lists in folders. Designers often don't handle it in that way. They want to see a diagram with pages as icons, and lines showing the hierarchy of linked connections. Dreamweaver once sported a Map feature (yes, they once had a Muse-like Overview). I believe it was still available in CS3, but they removed it in CS4, because it didn't make sense anymore when you're working on a larger or even a dynamic website.

The moment when designers see that Overview in Muse and start adding pages by hitting the + symbol, they feel empowered. Show them an empty folder list and a modal dialogue with a New and Edit button, and they feel lost...

A similar step back happened when Dreamweaver redesigned the CSS panel (I believe it became prominent in CS6). Okay, there was a need to overhaul the old panel, because it lacked a good way to implement media queries. But the newer panel was far less helpful in setting selectors and picking properties. In my courses I noticed that most designers couldn't use it anymore. Developers didn't care.

So much of the debate between designers vs developers talking about whether or not a feature is available in a tool, boils down to seemingly simple tweaks in how the software visualises such features.

Apart from that, I think designers should do what they do best: design, within the understood boundaries and given technical restrictions of the medium. Most designers should even steer away from using any web and app production tool for the coming years, and build a team – even if it only consists of two persons (a designer and a developer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye  wrote

Apart from that, I think designers should do what they do best: design, within the understood boundaries and given technical restrictions of the medium. Most designers should even steer away from using any web and app production tool for the coming years, and build a team – even if it only consists of two persons (a designer and a developer).

This is the best statement that has come out of this topic.

Edit: Only a designer can come with a crazy idea like BoK |Meet the BunchOKids, it takes a web developer to make the web site work and an app developer to create the technology behind the interactive animated books. No guesses where I fit in.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines