• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For giggles, drop $50 and try Affinity Photo. Slight learning curve, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also much faster than PS.

Non-destructive adjustments too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Adobe will terminate this software. Probably they will also end Adobe Animate CC I think in near future. There is only two softwares people mostly used PS and AI, AE and Premiere I think. No one uses other softwares anymore. If I was adobe I will continue to support this software if of course until a new sofftware alternative has been developed. And there is nothing to add a new feature to adobe muse only a few thing stroke color selection for different sides etc that is it. Just support OS compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will this app get killed off after a few years too! Very reluctant to invest any more time and effort into a "fad" software only for it to be cancelled!... Are you suggesting that we 'Musers" have to rebuild our vast number of clients sites in spark eventually? Build on what you have accomplished Adobe instead of another new app!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe is in serious a financial situation and they unable to maintain a full product line. Even apparently successful companies such as Enron, Worldcom and Lehmans it seemed that profits were assured the year prior to collapse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely not use Adobe web design apps in the future. I will choose an alternative and hope that it will not be taken over by Adobe, as has been the case in the past.

However, Adobe should be reduced the fees for Creative Cloud after a part of it was "killed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Preran,

Is this decision by Adobe final?

You say, "While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage,", does this mean there will be a similar programme/functionality in something new/else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, your link to the Spark pre-release program does not work - "address could not be found". My limited experience with Spark to date says that will not be a suitable replacement for Muse, however, I would like to see what you have to offer.

regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have corrected the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have huge changes planned for Spark, I have no idea how you are going to replicate the flexibility that Muse allowed users.

This is a shocking betrayal, Preran.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Spark solution is one of the solutions that have been suggested, and because I have not had a chance to test it myself, I cannot comment on the ease of migration. I am hoping that there will be other solutions here other than what has been proposed, including third-party solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Third-party solutions"

There we have it folks; "we don't care if you go elsewhere"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALTERNATIVES:

1. You can export your muse Site to WordPress without too much difficulty.

2. Webflow! Actually could be a godsend that Adobe Muse - is at EOL. Adobe did the MINIMUM to make it work (responsive solution was 2 years late). Webflow may be a better solution.  More functionality.

The only downside is that all these options cost us more. There should be a discount to the CC subscription. I only use Adobe for Photo shop and Illustrator now... The new mobile apps are so light as to be ridiculous, and video editing is best done with Final Cut..

So Adobe is failing to develop new platforms for the web, and will eventually become a dinosaur... all that needs to happen is someone to develop a decent replacement to the legacy tools.  The best alternatives to Adobe Illustrator

So we will see if the way that this company has chosen not to tackle the difficult and expensive challenges, and to outsource most of its training and help pays off. Adobe seems to be milking the profits at the expense of the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you that Adobe is setting itself up to be replaced for all things web design. The legacy products are another story. For me the bigger question here is the loss of faith in company these decisions produce. Actively driving customers to competitors is ridiculously shortsighted for any company. Those two things...lost in faith and introducing customers to alternatives will no doubt lead the consumer to ask "I wonder what else is available"...and that question has the potential to pull dollars away from the legacy apps.

Ignoring the wants and needs of your customers, literally telling them to take their money somewhere else and not seeing the big picture is not a sustainable business model.

I wonder what Corel is up to these days?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The best alternatives to Adobe Illustrator"

The discovery of Fireworks made one scratch their head when they looked at Illustrator. Oh yeah, Adobe killed it. Well, they can't kill Affinity Designer. Or Affinity Photo. And no, Indesign did not kill QuarkXpress. So many choices. One choice is to stay with Adobe and wonder WHAT they're going to kill next. Another choice is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify and be adaptable. We don't control software companies. They don't control us, unless you drink the kool aide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite laughable that Adobe pull plug on the middleweight app without having an alternative solution in place for its users. When that same audience are churning out thousands of sites every month via that middleweight app... It turns from laughable into gross negligence.

Adobe have never done this before as I understand it... Fireworks / Flash / Edge had new apps to replace them. This is the first time there is no real replacement, just a void for a competitor to fill.

If we don't get confirmation on a viable replacement for Muse by the end of the week Preran, my business is moving to webflow and we aren't coming back even if you fill the void you've left. Simply out of principle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge Animate had/has no replacement. (Adobe Animate is a fundamentally different tool.) I now use Tumult Hype but IMO it's pretty crap compared to what Edge Animate was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This information is seriously laughable, Not the staff information, but the responses from some of the people.

Companies are going to change and this is something that is unavoidable. If you are not sure about things, don't jump into conclusion just because you are frustrated, ask about the future development of things, take your time to read and don't just expect to get the information in a silver plate.

Yes FAQs are not solutions, but they are a working project just like every program out there.

If you are a developer (website, programs, apps, etc.) you should not be a strangers to programs going obsolete and finding a replacement, as a matter of fact you should always have a back up for any program.

It is a tedious cycle that will never end, so don't get to confortable with one thing.

If you want to stay with Adobe then you can use their current alternatives:

Dreamweaver

Spark Premium (soon to be updated).

Adobe XD

And if you think its not worth it then you also have other alternatives, after all just because one program has been discontinued, it doesn't mean you can't do your job right?

You also have:

Coda

Mobirise

KompoZer

Google Web Designer

Sparkle

Microsoft Expression Web

Webflow

Macaw.

The list goes on, if you want to find out, do your own research.

If you only want to complain then keep going, however I'm sure this thread was meant to get information (I'm sure also to provide) on alternatives for Muse.

No one should close their mind to learning new things or programs (this is how you lose your edge). I'll be waiting for the updates to come, until then alternatives are the thing that will keep me earning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried spark great for  1 page! I really Hope spark premium will allow multiple pages with links of wordpress blog ,video and soundclound audio to b embedded!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

piixy  wrote

I tried spark great for  1 page! I really Hope spark premium will allow multiple pages with links of wordpress blog ,video and soundclound audio to b embedded!

You should try Adobe Portfolio.

Adobe Portfolio | Build your own personalized website

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HairiestHobo  wrote

[...]

If you want to stay with Adobe then you can use their current alternatives:

Dreamweaver

Spark Premium (soon to be updated).

Adobe XD

[...]

Adobe XD is not a Muse alternative. It is meant to create somewhat interactive prototypes. That's it. Not to create websites.

HairiestHobo  wrote

[...]

You also have:

Coda

Mobirise

KompoZer

Google Web Designer

Sparkle

Microsoft Expression Web

Webflow

Macaw.

The list goes on, if you want to find out, do your own research.

[...]

Google Web Designer's develops at a snail's pace. And is more of an animated web banner tool. But good for Google ads, and even usable for the odd static page.

Macaw is defunct, and no longer developed. Dead, dead, dead.

Microsoft Expression Web has also been dead for years, and is no longer developed.

Coda is a text editor, and meant to hand-code, not a visual tool.

Mobirise, while seemingly free, seems to rely on paid-for theme templates and extensions for anything outside the realms of pure 'genericness'. Although free, I would give this a (very) wide berth. Just to add the ability to edit code is another $69. Any template is $39 more. It adds up quickly.

Just go with Pinegrow, or Wappler, or Sparkle instead. I hate these supposedly "free" apps but with adverts and extra costs if the user needs to do some real work.

Webflow ties the user to yet another online service. No control over your files - it's all done online. If you don't mind having to rely your business on that, a nice alternative

KompoZer was released in 2005, and no longer updated. NVU is the older version, and also dead. BlueGriffon is the latest still alive branch of the original. It is a viable alternative, up to a point. But old-fashioned, and cannot compete with the likes of Pinegrow, Sparkle, or Wappler. (And the epub version is ridiculously expensive when compared to Sigil or Jutoh!)

Sparkle and Pinegrow are good alternatives, although Sparkle insists on saving projects in its own proprietary file format (which is silly). Wappler is good as well if you need database connectivity. Pinegrow allows for the most development freedom, at the cost of additional complexity, i.e., having to learn basic html and css.

HairiestHobo  wrote

No one should close their mind to learning new things or programs (this is how you lose your edge). I'll be waiting for the updates to come, until then alternatives are the thing that will keep me earning.

Yup, true indeed. If one doesn't move forward in this industry, one stagnates and is left behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

Spark (for the way that it stands now) is not a good alternative to Muse. There is no flexibility. I would not even suggest it as an alternative. It will only upset people after they demo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m in SHOCK!!

The solutions that offer are not as good as Muse, with Muse you can design from scratch a new website with style without using any code, build a complex website for a graphic designer that is expert on illustrator, photoshop is a stone in the road!, Portfolio is only to show your creative work you can not design something special, and the last one Spark! is like using a website of word.

What happen to my membership of Creative Cloud that allow me 5 live websites host in Business Catalyst? Does the price of the membership will go down?

Which program will replace Adobe Muse? a program that function for designers to build websites with design but without not code???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!! with this announcement they will break the contract with customers!:

What happen to my membership of Creative Cloud that allow me 5 live websites host in Business Catalyst? Does the price of the membership will go down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you, as a representative and employee of Adobe are recommending a product to "help" with this transition and you haven't even tested it yourself?

You have to see how amateur and unprofessional ( and unhelpful ) you are being right now - right?

My company is also built around Muse - The way in which this announcement has been delivered and now being handled truly shows that Adobe does not care about it's customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines