• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from finding alternative software, I'm trying to find some decent resources for everyone that explain the concept of HTML, the DOM, Box Model, webpage layout principles like containers and their flow, and the (im)possibilities of CSS – without going into code !!

So does anyone know if there are some books or blogs about this stuff ? Have you come across useful video tutorials (maybe of alternative software) ? Please put them up here, not to please me (I'm pretty familiar with it, thank you) but for all those panicking designers, who might finally get a good start with understanding what Muse has been taking care of for them for so many years...

There's more to learn about the pillars of the modern web (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) than just code...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not sound like a bad project to make, if it does not exist already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

Muse is giving me an error. or more specifically Business Catalyst says it has already stopped hosting.  I was under the impression that we could make test sites until May 18, 2018 to overwrite in the future.  I would need to overwrite my only live sites.  I need those.  So basically Muse is of no use but to keep those two sites.

This is what happens when I try to make a dummy site for after end of life

What is wrong?

Thank you.

Janet

muse error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this too.

The BC announcement says New sites will no longer be available for purchase starting with June 18th, 2018.

Clearly not...Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 09.29.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone address this TIME sensitive issue please.????  I see I am not alone with this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting more emails from BC about my free sites.

Our records show that your site has a licensing issue and requires your immediate attention.

This means that either your site has an unpaid invoice which is 28 or more days past its due date, or your site license is no longer valid because you have changed or interrupted your Creative Cloud subscription.

The administration access, your website’s front-end and any email accounts in use have been temporarily disabled, leaving only the payment page active. We would like to help you rectify this as soon as possible in order for you to fully re-instate your website functionality.

If your site has a Business Catalyst subscription, please make sure you pay the overdue invoice(s). If your site has an Adobe Direct Subscription, you will need to upgrade to a Business Catalyst subscription. To review and pay the invoice(s) or change your subscription, please login to the Administration interface of your site:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move your sites.. deactivate bc... I did

Now I don't get messages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, you will not be able to publish trial sites in BC moving forward. You can however, continue to update and publish sites on BC until the EOL date. Let me double-check and get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just tried out Web Flow. I just don't understand it. All I wanted to do is drag and drop and type. But I think what turned me off from it was that I HAVE to pay to create a multi-page site. Standard user only gets one page. Apparently I can't keep using my current hosting site and that I have to use web flows for a monthly rate. I pay $41 for hosting for an entire year.

I'm really hoping that the new Adobe Spark comes with a lot of what made Muse great. Click, Drag, Drop, Widgets, and Type anywhere without limitations and knowing anything about code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my issue with Webflow too - the pricing is high compared to market rates and $42 per month just to replicate what I already have for clients is too much of a price rise.

I've had the best drag and drop, and html import, experience with Sparkle, but it doesn't have the accordions I use for content and some menus so I would need to address that with the clients.

It feels a bit 'iWeb' which is where it all started for me so no real criticism there, i just became used to the step 'up' to Muse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Website builder, in browser web design, CMS & hosting | Webydo

Shame about pricing but its basically Adobe Muse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and it writes even WORSE code than Muse. Congrats to Webydo. No way that's gonna fly in a team environment. And locking yourself in with their services makes you utterly and completely dependent - even Muse as a desktop app allows for much more freedom.

No, thank you. Like Webflow, I think you'd have to be stark mad to get involved with a closed ecosystem like theirs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webydo Pro plan costs $90/month?!   Are they kidding?  I guess their target is agencies with very big budgets.   I pay less per month for a dedicated web server that hosts multiple sites.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should all desribe from Adobe and pay from all that money a develloper

who will make a application like muse for us.

Op zo 8 apr. 2018 02:05 schreef Nancy OShea <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Nancy OShea

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea?et=watches.email.outcome>

marked rayek.elfin

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/rayek.elfin?et=watches.email.outcome>'s

reply on Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2470136?et=watches.email.outcome> as

helpful. View the full reply

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10300517?et=watches.email.outcome#10300517>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does have social feeds, and a shopping cart.

some animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY DID ADOBE NOT PURCHASE THIS COMPANY!

Website builder, in browser web design, CMS & hosting | Webydo

SO MUCH BETTER THAN WEBFLOW!!!!!!!!!! SHAME ABOUT PRICING THO BUT FOR TRUE DESIGNERS THIS IS THE APPLICATION WE NEED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no words to define my frustration with the discontinuation of Adobe Muse, a software that I would define as perfect. Only an idiot could think of such idea. If I were the CEO of that company, I would fire him immediately. Do not play with your customers’ trust. Nobody is indispensable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really looks like Adobe has become to big for their boots and laying it into their loyal Creative Customer base! I also have a strong hunch that when us macOS users update to the next OS version that Muse conveniently won't work after that so I'm going to strongly suggest we need to be looking at alternatives, because Adobe just don't care - disgusting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no words to define my frustration with the discontinuation of Adobe Muse, a software that I would define as perfect. Only an idiot could think of such idea. If I were the CEO of that company, I would fire him immediately. Do not play with your customers’ trust. Nobody is indispensable.

Okay, it's Sunday, so let's have a long-read on this matter.

This is Shantanu Narayen, since 2005 the CEO of Adobe:

1cf82b51428058fa6f9abb2921e65c5d.jpeg

He has been steering Adobe towards a more "experience" driven company, helping customers not just to create media assets, but also to gain more control over their media marketing and strategies in all kinds of digital communication. He embraces change, he adores challenges, and he dislikes paved roads and preserving conventions just for the sake of keeping them. And he's the guy who has to make the tough decisions like cutting off products (like Muse) and projects which are not (or can not be) aligned with the company's strategies and goals.

He's not a 'bad guy', he just has different views of and for the company he's leading, compared to how we used to see Adobe.

"Regardless of changes in technology, the mission of the company has remained the same – change the world through digital experiences. It comes down to recognizing what our customers need and not being afraid to change because at the end of the day, preserving the status quo is not a business strategy."

From this page:

http://www.digitalmarket.asia/shantanu-narayen-on-why-adobe-has-pinned-its-future-on-experience/

Mr Narayen set the tone of the discussions while tracing the Adobe journey, and why it was important to not preserve status quo in order to attain growth. In early 2008, Adobe’s products like the Acrobat, Creative Suite, Illustrator and Photoshop were leading in their category, but the company’s growth was stagnated. "Mobile was upending our software desktop business. While we were focused on tools, organisations building with scale were passing us by."

So he decided to not just change gears – Adobe started driving a whole new car, the Experience Cloud. Making media more flexible, measurable, marketable. And it turns out to be a profitable road.

From their Q1 2018 stock report:

http://news.adobe.com/press-release/corporate/adobe-achieves-record-revenue-0

Financial Highlights

Adobe quarterly revenue: $ 2.08 billion

which represents 24 percent yoy growth

Digital Media revenue was $ 1.46 billion

Creative revenue growing to $ 1.23 billion

Document Cloud revenue of $ 231 million

Digital Experience was $ 554 million,

which represents 16 percent growth.

Revenues year-on-year

Subscriptions from $ 1,383 to $ 1,793 million

Sold Products from $ 183 to $ 171 million

So the Digital Experience business is already at almost half the size of the Creative stuff !

And every move Adobe makes, from print to mobile, from desktop to cloud, from licensing to subscriptions, from creating media to experiences, they all seem to pay off. Stock holders (and Microsoft) are more than happy to have the current Adobe CEO at the helm. And that's what counts, otherwise the company would be out of business.

Some extra links to highlight the changing challenges and views of CEOs at Adobe:

Getting reorganization right – how Bruce Chizen drove change and innovation at Adobe

Adobe president and CEO Shantanu Narayen: agencies are going through change

From digital publishing to the next 35 years of creating experiences

280A8833_2-e1512246463312-1.jpg

So what would you do if you'd be in their shoes ? Or would you rather keep wearing your own shoes ?

Act in the way how Adobe acts as well: don't regard your suppliers and customers as a life-time partner but as just another company providing and buying tools and services. Some you like, some you don't. Some you buy, some you won't. You don't need to love them, we're not married to them. I know, it feels powerless and disappointing, when their decisions force us to change our business. (That's exactly how Adobe felt when Quark dismissed PDF, and when Apple ditched Flash). But change is inevitable, especially in the media industry. And it almost always changes for the better...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now I get it: it's the shareholders the ones that should be happy, and not the customers or subscribers who buy and use their products. Speaking of money, there are lots of Muse users that are going to lose money with "the change". I think they should have come up with a solution before removing it from the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, you get it. It's what happens to any company that goes public. I agree they should have had something in place. I know too many in marketing and advertising that are upset by this. It will prob not affect Adobe's new ventures, only the people that supported them In the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was kind of hoping this would be a forum about alternatives to Muse, not just (understandably) griping about (the deplorable) actions of Adobe.

So far:

Sparkle App: Too simplistic, no third party plugins that I can see.

Same for "Everweb"

Blocs: Good, but too regimented compared to Muse. Stand alone though.

Webflow: Fairly ideal, but too expensive and stuck in their universe.

Same for Webydo and Wix

Trying out Google Web Designer now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Web Designer is a bit of a deception. It's actually a banner animation tool, still in beta. And IMHO it shows that Google is brilliant in creating apps and services, but not in whole desktop applications. It's a drag, it's not snappy, and it's clumsy to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines