• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Participant ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well well well.... What do we have here then Adobe?...

Adobe to Acquire Magento | Magento

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...Well well well.... What do we have here then Adobe?..."

Like I said, two years is a long time in the tech world. See how things have changed just since this post started? In two years (less actually) every "option" today isn't going to look remotely close to what they present today so, pace yourself and keep an open mind, be a little less a "creative" and a lot more a business person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AND THERE IS THE PROOF!

Adobe has shafted the web design community and has a road map to engage our existing clients! It is time to walk away because Adobe will continue to milk us as they fatten up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Adobe acquires Magento ?! Didn't see that coming.

Another cog in the wheels and machinery of the Adobe / Microsoft alliance. To be honest, I think they're doing great ! Setting themselves up like this, with services and technologies like Experience & Document Cloud, Adobe Sign, Azure, Magento, etc. It's just that I don't give a damn about getting into all this IT-infested marketing hoopla.

And Adobe XD is free for all...

It's getting perfectly clear what's bringing in the money nowadays at Adobe. Not that I'm angry or frustrated about it – that's how business rolls. But these moves sure give a signal which should be taken at heart by their old-time creative customers. And it's not that this will all change overnight, but decisions and definite steps towards a different kind of company have been taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One day to go, https://wappler.io/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wappler. OhhhhKayyyy...here's a great example of something new that's long on marketing but short on "where's the beef'. Not a bad thing, they have Joe Lowry plugging it and he has VERY solid credentials, goes way back to the Macromedia days where he literally "wrote the book" on Dreamweaver and the internet. There was no YouTube back then and the internet was command line (anyone remember DOS? I do), you learned from his books (yes paper books) and Lynda's books and CD's. I'm guessing he has a stake in this, which would be a good thing as he'll bring about forty years of real world to tempering, and guiding, a lot of youthful exuberance.  Guys like Joe have that and the "extra" quality, the forty years of getting blindsided and kicked in the teeth that only forty years can teach you. You won't learn it in school, you'll learn it getting your teeth kicked in from the business world. You'll see in a few decades what I'm talking about, no point in trying to explain as we already know that anyone without a gray hair just won't believe us, it is only taught by time and experience. Just trust guys like that. Okay, back to looking at this situation.  Version one of ANYTHING is going to be bumpy. It is not because they haven't done testing and, they  may be outstanding programmers that have their whole heart in it, it is because you can't test for everything. You just can't. There is a number of software companies that write software designed solely to test programming, the good stuff is really expensive, they may even use it but, as they are a Kickstarter outfit I doubt it. Anyway, there is no way you can test a whole world full of different combinations of hardware (and their sorry driver writers) and internet providers kinks, and other programs on people's computers that hijack memory and resources, etc etc  so, if you jump in early (and this looks pretty interesting) understand it will have a lot of kinks, they know this, they are ready for this so, they are waiting for feedback, be kind to them, give them positive feedback and detailed info on a problem so they can zero in on the bug. You do that and you are a part of molding it to your liking but, it is going to be a road of a certain length, you don't know how long that road is or...if it is another dead end.  It could be the next great thing but, not on day one and maybe killed off like Muse. So, don't get stars in your eyes, get that analytical mind on and maybe try it on a few simple sites. We're all leaving Muse and our comfort zone and we just walked onto the carny runway with an army of carny barkers promising us easy work and easy money. Gotta keep that cool, analytical head.

As for me. I'll wait till version 2.0, but, I'll keep a casual eye out. Just a disclaimer; not putting down  young entrepreneurs and programmers (not you Ben, you're one of us baby Boomers) , love the skill sets, high level intellect, and enthusiasm...keep it up and maybe your generation will invent something like Rock and Roll, the muscle car, PC, Mac, laptop, mechanical heart, cell phone and in your spare time put a man on the moon like we did and...we have absolute confidence you will achieve all that and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love your story, it reminds me of a roaring waterfall in a tranquil Amazon setting.

Then there is this voice-over for Your First Bootstrap 4 Page - YouTube, reminding of a trickling waterway in the Victorian (Australian State) Alps with little intonation.

As a passing note, the voice-over in the above-mentioned video, is talking about the free version of Wappler. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded Wappler, installed it, and first impressions are quite mixed. The free version is (understandably) quite limited. I do like that it works directly with html/css files just like Pinegrow, and unlike Sparkle and Muse.

I opened an existing bootstrap-based mini site, and it opens fine (although the index.html file won't load, for some reason). The style manager seems very, very limited - no visual styling for properties? Just a list of rules, similar to the inspect element option in a browser? Doesn't seem very designer friendly.

The DOM view is limited to selection only? No drag and drop to re-arrange stuff quickly? Hmmm...

I like the built-in FTP option (not available in the free version, though). Auto prefixer is nice too. Sass support coming. But none of this in the free version, or even available for testing in a trial version.

The GUI is entirely static, which I didn't like at all in the beta version I tested a while ago, and this has not changed. The overall GUI is pretty much set in stone. Terrible. Also no option to view two or more pages side by side, or multiple breakpoints side by side. No code editor connections either. No custom breakpoints for views?

Really, can't comment that much yet: the free version is very rough around the edges, and it feels indeed as a V1 release. Nothing inherently bad, but Wappler needs some time to grow, I suppose. And where's the documentation at? No help file? No manual, or something?

Anyway, my first impression is that Wappler has potential. Needs a LOT of work on the GUI front, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you meant Joseph Lowery, as the guy who wrote books and numerous publications and videos on Dreamweaver and web design in general. But aside from the casual slip in memory (which baby boomers might suffer from 😉 the paradigm of Wappler is based on creating pages as a sequence of building blocks – which is absolutely a proper way to work, but not what most Muse users are looking for.

I know, I also keep telling those users in numerous posts in this lengthy discussion that it's wise to make themselves more familiar with this important principle of web layout (even without knowing the coding behind it). As a matter of fact, if they're open to start to think and work that way, many other applications with that same paradigm will become available and useful to them. Heck, even WordPress becomes a viable tool.

But they whole-heartedly put their heels in the sand and want something exactly like Muse...

Wappler looks like what the Dreamweaver interface could have looked when it would have chosen to cater for designers. Or what the PageMill/SiteMill tandem could have been when coders would have had a say in it...

5 More minutes before countdown, and we'll see what Wappler has in stall for us.

I hope their servers won't budge like Without Code suffered...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"....creating pages as a sequence of building blocks"

That's the way I learned with Dreamweaver way back in the 90's. What was interesting then-to-now was what the professor teaching it at Tech did next. Everything was command line, or darn near it back then, install your operating system and create your own batch and sys files, etc. You put a few HTML lines down then looked at what you did, then adjusted it and back and forth. The professor pulls up this GUI that looked a lot like Muse pages do strung out together. He started dragging links between them hooking them together. All of our jaws dropped, it was like showing a cave man a cigarette lighter. He didn't know what all the fuss was, it was something he used every day...something they created for themselves as an in-house tool. No telling what kind of amazing things are in the skunk works of universities today that they don't even give a thought to. It was years before you saw anything similar in the marketplace.

I looked at Wordpress a long time ago, it works like that, building pages up one at a time. I looked at it because everyone who's opinion I valued said that was what you need to learn. I'm wondering if you just have to give up on the pure graphical interface for a few years and grind it out the old fashion way. Of course, I don't have 500 customers to keep up with (nor want them) so I can imagine the pain some folks here are feeling.

I see some folks are giving Wappler a test...with exactly the results I thought. My experience is that version 1's aren't version 1's, they are just an expansion of beta testers. Inside the software industry I used to hear the word come down to us salesman/trainers "just sell it, we'll worry about fixing it later". it is just to much a part of the culture, get as much market share first is the priority, pins in the map. I used to grit my teeth over that for a long time. So, like i originally said, go on what is real, in your hand today, promises are just so much air. Vaporware is more the rule than exception, we'll see how that one pans out...but not me, my beta testing days are over, I'm over that. Give me something with some time behind it, heck might even suck it up a grind out Wordpress just because it's too big to worry about going away tomorrow like Muse. All these other outfits are pretty new and that makes me nervous.

Greenskin - Microsofts Surface Pro's aren't going away, they really are good, had one then made the mistake of "upgrading" to SurfaceBook, typing on it now. It has a VERY serious design flaw. Great components and at first appearance seem very cool but, you cough up your couple grand and suddenly you find that cool looking hinge a real hassle. Unhooking and flipping your screen is a hassle and it won't stand in an angle, like Surface Pro, if you want to sketch. You have to keep it away from your friends because they see that hinge and think it is like the Yoga and want to just crank it back. The screen as a tablet is really too big, it is really clumsy to hold, not like the Surface Pro that is the size of a letter pad we're used to working on. The REAL BAD part is that, when closed, the hinge holds the bottom edge of the screen up and the top edge is the only point touching the front of the computer frame so there is a gap...see where this is going? the thin computers now will have an inherent amount of flex, you have that glass screen levered against itself and at the front edge it has the finger pull that creates two sharp edges along the thin line that now supports that thin, flexible screen. That just amplifies the design flaw and you get...wait for it...a nice crack across your screen one inch down from the top, edge to edge that just grows in different directions. You don't dare flip it around because the stress on it when you unhook it from the frame and you can't really sketch on it anymore.  Look online, a lot of people have cracked screens. Cost to fix? $700.00 or, you can bring it in and trade it for a refurb for a mere $350. I had the person at the Microsoft store say "we haven't seen  them coming back". Right, maybe not and there is a reason;  why would you pay $700 (or even $350) to repair something that just has the same design flaw and will just break again? I'm very careful with my machines, and so are a lot of others that are angry about that one. So I have a $2000 machine with the functionality of a $500 machine. happy happy. Asus Zenbooks, Lenovo carbon fiber X1's and even the Yoga are better convertibles. Better machines, better specs, lot more machine, less money. We pay for our education one way or another but pay we do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Path11

Sorry to hear about your SurfaceBook experience!

I still have my Lumia 930 and it still works great although I don't use it anymore - I have given up on MS's mobile platform and only use W10 for testing purposes! MS & I don't see eye to eye anymore! So when I heard that Adobe and MS were getting together I knew the tide would turn for Adobe's loyal users and they have started with Muse & BC!

Like MS didn't care a hoot about their 200-300Million odd mobile users in dropping them like a hot potato and never admitting to it or explaining why I see the same thing happening with Adobe, hence leave sooner than later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They want to stay in this space, but because they were too incompetent to keep Muse ahead of the game, they dump it, shaft us in the process and just buy a successful platform (Magneto) instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are with others in this post, this is a disgusting betrayal of loyal customers by Adobe. We developed our website with Muse and invested in Adobe products to support this investment. After less than 12 months was the announcement that the product will be depreciated. We are cancelling our subscription at the end of our 12 month term, moving our website to another platform, and will move away from Adobe products entirely. We cannot trust your company to not do this again with any new products you release, once this trust is lost, its near impossible to rebuild this bridge, so we are out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with your sentiment!

Now that we know Adobe has purchase Magneto (www.magento.com ) I know for sure that they have no interest in us web designers but they do have interest in our clients! They are in the "step over us" manoeuvre at this stage!

I am experiencing workflow issues with Adobe Muse already plus a number of their widgets are out of date (especially the Google Map Widget), and continual issues with their Typekit! As soon as I have made up my mind which platform will serve me best I'm ditching my subscription because the Affinity product range (Affinity - Professional creative software) is just as good if not better (Photoshop, Illustrator, and soon to be InDesign) with speed!

Adobe Muse DOES NOT HAVE 2 years and I'll be moving on from Muse within the next 2-4 months if not sooner!

Adobe is out for themselves and their shareholders - disgusting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just opened Adobe’s spam from the 22nd of May...”Understanding customers — It’s what we do best”

LMAOROTFBTCSTCNDBFOOTWIFOAGWLLBGWTHROOTSAIAKBAYB

*facedesks*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is so sad!!!!!

I really appreciated this software. it made so many of my dreams come true. thank you for working on gorgeous stuff like this.

everyone needs a MUSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go and learn Dreamweaver, will I be able to replicate my Muse sites in Dreamweaver? I have heard that migration from Muse sites to Dreamweaver is messy. Can I eventually built Muse-styled sites in Dreamweaver? Can you at least offer an effective migration tool from Muse to Dreamweaver? Thank you for your response in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse files that have been compiled as HTML, can be used in Dreamweaver or any other code editor like Brackets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hellenicii  wrote

will I be able to replicate my Muse sites in Dreamweaver?

no... if the key word is replicate but Dreamweaver can make sites that look about the same

in most cases it depends on what the site does

hellenicii  wrote

I have heard that migration from Muse sites to Dreamweaver is messy. Can I eventually built Muse-styled sites in Dreamweaver?

very messy... what is a Muse-styled site?

hellenicii  wrote

Can you at least offer an effective migration tool from Muse to Dreamweaver?

no... Dreamweaver can open | edit the html but only Muse can do what Muse does and Dreamweaver to Muse was not part of the design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

Thank you for the letter and forum. I understand you are the messenger, not the originator...

I want to add my profound disappointment with this decision to end Muse without a clear 1:1 alternative for your customers to count on and contribute to. It seems to be a lot of work on your part, our part, third parties to just toss away. Working off line, integrating all of my design tools liberated me. My liberation appears to be my incarceration. I am responsible to many people to continue their online presence up to the standards they are accustomed to because I promised them.

Everyone one else has and will say what I think and more. As a previously devoted CC subscriber, promoter and Muse user since day 1, I am hoping Adobe can recover its trust and reputation as the go to company for digital design tools by finding a suitable alternative or reintroducing a new and improved Muse.

Clay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually starting to enjoy Without Code/Architect, just released by Muse-Themes.com.  While it's new, I feel it's more in line with Muse than any others I've tried which have been mentioned in this thread.  After a few days working with it i've already rebuilt three of my sites originally done in Muse and I've published one with them as well.  I've been a big fan of Muse-themes and feel they are the ones I'm going to go with.  I recommend going to http://www.muse-themes.com or directly to Without Code at: https://www.wocode.com/.  They have a free trial.  I know this software will get better as it grows.  But i'm up and running already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utterly gutted - only just noticed this is happening - Muse is the only reason I subscribed to adobe cc in the first place.  So I guess I'll have to find an alternative and dump adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does this mean - we're not updating the one program you really need but if you want to use it you have to continue paying monthly for a program that we've discontinued?

Or do we get a chance to buy it once and for all for a single price?

Come on if you're discontinuing it - it's the least you can do give us a one off price to buy it in perpetuity - like you used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still a monthly subscription which is why I am looking to migrate my existing sites to another platform, as I don't want to keep paying for something that is obsolete after 2020 - however I am not clear whether there is still a subscription required after the EOL date? Perhaps Preran can advise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can pay for hosting a site on Adobe BC without having a sub however Muse will still need the sub if you want to keep using it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines