• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Mentor ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what I don't understand is that you were working with Muse merely for mock-ups (and have been happy with that), while 'blaming' XD for doing nothing but prototypes. I guess you're missing the slew of Muse's built-in and third-party widgets for all kinds of interactions ? On the other hand you're not happy about XD's obsession with animation, while this is becoming a very strong side of it, making it possible to create many kinds of (micro) animations and transitions. We're not there yet, but XD is very promising.

I understand where you are coming from, but looking at the code Adobe generates is kind of scary, because well... Adobe code tends to be really, really bad. And when Adobe tries anything to do with animations, it is "borrowing" other people's code. If there are any accomplished coders (real coders) lurking, you will understand that even if you are adept at writing a complex script yourself, if you try to use one written by someone else, there are almost always problems. Adobe animations have been bloated, flawed, and not very smooth since GoLive.

Speaking of animations, we just did a showcase page for our customers and I'm curious to see of any XD or Muse power users can produce this kind of animation:

http://projectseven.com/products/tools/bse/showcase/sc-01/

It's not a completed page, but it might be entertaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither Muse or XD can pull that off.

Muse's animations are just scroll effects, based on following a page's position, going up and down, within the viewport. So you get a movement with a lead-in, a key position, and a lead-out, relative to the scroll position – that's it. However, Muse can/could use certain positions as a trigger for a placed animation (e.g. an OAM from Edge Animate, or perhaps Tumult Hype with some tweaking), but you can't construct it completely and solely with just Muse.

XD's animations and transitions are still very bare bones, though well founded. But it's not XD's intention to let users create such a circus of dazzling parallaxes. UX Design works on different levels and stages, and your example is visually far too freaky for XD.

However, XD can export to After Effects, so you could try creating it as a running showcase animation – though no live interaction, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, there is no fun in web design anymore. Lots of bloated code, but very little fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

answer the same questions 200 times a week... what is not fun about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for making me smile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AKsp -

Based on my understanding, Muse can handle that animation fairly easy using scroll motion effects.  I never dove into that, so won't spend time trying 😉  (see Creating a One-Page Scrollable Website in Muse in lynda.com)

Peter -

In the context of my work, when I say hacking, I'm referring to the use of built in muse components/widgets for purposes other than their original intent.  My prototypes, I assume you could have gathered from context, are for software UX/UI concepts – only instead of stopping at linking hotspots, I had fully interactive elements throughout, and an output that my dev teams could easily 'steal' data from. Animation can't replace this.

I do have a license for XD, but that doesn't mean that the security gods will let me publish to third-party servers.  Infact it's written right in our contract for CC, tho shalt not use adobe cloud.  Since my license is enterprise, I'll look into your claim for a self hosting feature. tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

Trust me, you cannot do that animation with Muse 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ahh... HyperCard"

I often wonder how HyperCard simply faded away. I think it was one of the most innovative and useful tools of its time, which I believe it was ahead of... good times.

Wow... 59 pages so far. Seems like Muse was pretty popular!

Thanks for keeping the thread open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember HyperCard! A "hypermedia" tool (later called "multimedia"). Part of the first generation of visual programming tools at the time. I worked with HyperCard for client one project at the time, if my memory serves me correct. On the Amiga I worked with Amiga Vision, a similar tool with one of the first pure visual programming systems. Director became the spiritual successor to HyperCard, I believe.

These programs used to be known as "Authoring Systems".

As for the reasons for HyperCard's demise?

• Steve Jobs. HC did not fit in his vision. Steve killed off a lot of interesting software over the years.
  • The Web. Most multimedia tools died a silent death after the web was introduced to humankind and browsers became more powerful. Plugins like Flash replaced the first generation of multimedia tools. Later the browsers had no need for the second generation multimedia plugins anymore (current situation).
  • (Visual) Game engines. Game engines such as Godot, Construct, GDevelop, Unity are in my view the third and fourth generations. Some are even easier to use than HyperCard ever was, and with far more advanced options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad and disappointing news. I though that Muse was a fantastic idea. What was the reasoning for discontinuing Muse?

It would be awesome if XD can take out all the other competitors like, Axure RP and InVision to name a few. This would make it the go to industry standard rather than one of the big 5 or 10 for UX/UI software. It's annoying and expensive to be paying for multiple software subscriptions that are similar but don't offer all of the same things. My 2 cents is, make XD robust enough to edge out all competitors whilst maintaining similar commands and UI of other Adobe software as it does now. (ie make XD better than Axure in it's features and ease of usability).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Steve, you're probably some one who has been used to Adobe's fabulous reputation and well-deserved domination in the graphic industry. It's actually still unbelievable how one company has been able to bring such a unique technical revolution to such an ancient industry, and hold its grip on it for the best part of three decades !

Compared to that, the web is still in its infancy, and just can't and won't be ruled by one technology, one brand, and one or two tools. And based on the "open" attitude of all current web standards and frameworks, it probably won't be like that for the next decades either.

Muse gave it a try – and failed. It was a daunting challenge which Adobe was willing to undertake, and we can't blame them for not having succeeded in that. And Adobe XD is brilliant, but will have to earn and maintain its position, next to many others.

Welcome in the world of the web and apps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can’t believe this thread is still going but good to see still some discussion. Personally gave up on muse with eol statement so I have moved on (blocsapp) which has helped me with code. I use it in conjunction with tumult hype (replaced adobe edge when that was halted). I currently use most packages on the adobe cc for design ps,ai,ae,ind etc etc, though the awful support staff where absolutely useless when my company spent £3500 on renewing our cc for the business and we kept getting trial notices (Indian call centres make communication very tricky). What I’m getting at is that there are so many other options out there and may even push someone who didn’t understand coding in the right direction. I won’t or ever will use anything web based from adobe again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I am impressed that this thread is still up! 🙂

Is there any good MUSE-alternative out there for PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've been following this discussion, lots of alternatives have been mentioned for PC users

• Dreamweaver alone or with 3rd party extensions
  • Pinegrow
  • Wappler
  • Bootstrap Studio
  • WordPress with visual design plugins
  • and more....
Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switched all of my sites to Wordpress using Elementor Pro as the pagebuilder. Tried Gutenberg on a site, and went right back to Elementor Pro. It's light years ahead of Gutenberg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might want to consider that Elementor now has over 1 million active installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next release of Elementor is going to set the bar very high, bringing it very much inline with Abobe Muse with Absolute Positioning with a drag and drop interface.

Elementor v2.5.0 Beta Release · Issue #7145 · elementor/elementor · GitHub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, It is very serious that they make such a radical decision and without a safe alternative to continue what is already done with Muse, as well as flash and now it is animate, but with Muse they only eliminate it and, they have to know the amount of companies that they work and manage their websites with their clients, the impact and the losses are huge, because of obligation they can not finish with Muse until a new program replaces it and they can continue working with what is already done at Muse, and while launching the new program guarantee the support of muse.

I invite all users and companies that work with Adobe Muse to create a campaign for Muse to continue or guarantee a new program to replace it, and if there is no solution in this way, legal action must be taken regarding the economic impact of those who use this program.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is just a rebranding of Flash – no elimination or replacement of anything.

For the rest, you're a bit late to the farewell party. We're already past the sobbing.

There seemed no need for campaigns or legal actions. It's over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It feels that I am quite alone in this forum – but I am still using Muse and I plan to do so further on. I think the program i good and I have not found any alternative that is better.

I have one question though – Muse will not disappear from my computer, or will it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone when it comes to this question. The best answer I have for you is that as of today, Muse will continue to be part of your CC subscription. The policy for single-product subscribers is still being worked out. If you do not hear from us by the end of this year, do post a reminder here.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran  wrote

If you do not hear from us by the end of this year, do post a reminder here.

Thanks,

Preran

Wait, did you just ask your users (who pay for the sofware) to remind YOU about figuring out the answer to this matter in 10 MONTHS TIME?

Seriously? It is not the task of us, the customers, to remind YOU guys about internal communication deficits and bottlenecks. That is YOUR task. Use your internal task scheduling or company calendar to do this.

Really? Wow.

(Sounds harsh, I am aware, but this is bordering on the ridiculousness...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry you feel that way, and I understand why you feel that way. I do set myself a reminder, but I am human like the rest of you, and there is always a chance that I may slip considering the timeline involved. My intention was not to rile anyone, or make this seem like an insignificant task.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I responded when in a bad mood (just read some bad news at work before), so I shouldn't have reacted the way I did. Sorry about that Preran.

It is just that Adobe management has a history to leave users of defunct software hanging without communication. You are not part of that management, and you are only the messenger. If the messenger isn't given any information from the top, you can't help it.

So again, apologies for my outburst there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, happens to the best of us. I wish and hope that the rest of your day is beyond fantastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines