• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm going to check it out! Looks a bit more like if Dreamweaver and Muse had a baby but that could be a really good baby!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WJT, if I understand you correctly, if I purchase pinegrow pro, I'd be able to import my Muse sites as projects and edit them in there? That would be a help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly...

PineGrow​ worth looking into

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

WJT, if I understand you correctly, if I purchase pinegrow pro, I'd be able to import my Muse sites as projects and edit them in there? That would be a help.

Yes that is correct, I talked about it some in this post, and shared some further thoughts in this post, which you may have already seen both. So yes you can open, edit and thus maintain your exported Muse projects and sites. * The exported files not the actual Muse file format itself, the same can be said for Dreamweaver and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more newbie question, so I can edit Muse in pinegrow and it will save it in their format, HTML and CSS, save it there and then I can just ftp it to my host?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My test: I opened a Url of a Muse-page I made and could save them (template folder) - but of course without javascript, css ...

But I could change colors, text at saved file.

But I will in next days make further tests - export a muse projekt (html, css, javascript) and load in template folder.

It seemed to be a possibility to work further with exported files of muse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

One more newbie question, so I can edit Muse in pinegrow and it will save it in their format, HTML and CSS, save it there and then I can just ftp it to my host?

Yes that is also correct, Pinegrow works with native source files and does not use a special file format. So you open native HTML/CSS/JS, do your creating and editing, etc., So it saves in the same native format, no special file. Much like Dreamweaver and other editors. This is an important feature for an app to have in regards to it allows transferability and does not lock you into a software which uses a special file format. You are always just editing and using those native files.

Again the exported Muse files, not the actual Muse file itself. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this - after my test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! Thanks"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illostraight  wrote

Great! Thanks"

You're welcome. With anything new learn the features you need and progress as you go. Don't get overwhelmed with the totality of new things. You will do fine, relax and take your time. Thats relative to any new tool or process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder which software will shut off in the future, maybe Dreamweaver, or even XD, who knows! I will not lose my time learning other Adobe software, do not trust anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We all need to look at this as a opportunity to escape from Adobe products. I have been on a Conf call this morning with other designers and the consensus is this next year we will be leaving Adobe. Also, Please look into the class action suits that may pop up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should graphic designers be loyal to Adobe when they make decisions like this! You are failing us Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So at the end of it's life next year, I understand we will be able to keep using muse (just won't be developed) correct?

Therefore I presume we will not be required to pay for it at that time? and if that's the case If it's not being developed anymore Surely we shouldn't have to pay for it right now? or am i missing something?

Also since at some point since we will no longer be able to download it through CC is there somewhere we will be allowed to download in case of system restores/HDD failures etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If history is any indicator,  selecting Show Older Apps in CC Desktop app brings up legacy software like  Fuse, SpeedGrade & Fireworks.  So if you're a full CC plan member,  I'm guessing Muse will be in that same category. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully it will be there for a long time to come. Honestly i know this is devastating for a lot of people for a lot of reasons but Muse for me right now was perfect so as long as I can continue using it with it's current features i will be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been a joy for me since Photoshop 1 on mac iicx 1990. I've had an amazing career as designer for 28 years now with your amazing software. So thank you. However, waking up to this news and reading this thread I am quite disheartened at how you are handling this. We are all in this together and we need guidance on how to proceed. So please step up to the plate and reassure us. Be the leaders in this field. Give us a roadmap. Are you turning InDesign/Illustrator into web builders? or are you turning Spark into the application designers need?

Sad day for this Adobe believer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For other design businesses/agencies here, how many of us are facing the possibility of losing our businesses as a result of the loss Muse?  For my business, it's not that my entire business was built around Muse (and thankfully, we never used Business Catalyst at all), but all of the sites that we have built for our clients over the last 5 years have been in Muse.  Over the course of the next few years, updates to browsers will eventually cause all of our clients' websites to no longer function (or lose elements of functionality over time).  I, for one, have no idea when and how this will all unfold.  I would like to be optimistic in thinking that browser updates (and, most likely, releases of new portable web devices) over the next 2, 3, 4+ years MAY not sharply/critically affect the sites that we've built.  But, of course I have no idea.  The way that I understand this:  As of May of 2019, any release of any update to any browser, at any time (could be within weeks or within years), the sites that we built for our clients will begin to lose or will suddenly lose partial or all functionality on the web.  Obviously, my clients will not tolerate this and will hold MY BUSINESS responsible for selling a website that was not sustainable on the web.  If our most recent websites can survive 4+ years, it may be easier to convince those clients that the lifespan of their website has reached its end and it's necessary to rebuild.  (Most of my clients expect their website to have a lifespan of at least 5 years.)  However, if sites that we've just launched become defunct in a year, those clients are going to potentially take legal action against my business if we do not get ahead of this. 

I am very curious to know how many others are in similar situations.  Do you feel that your business/livelihood is in jeopardy?  What are some of your initial ideas for protecting yourself (legally) through this?  What are some of your initial ideas for breaking the news to clients?  Do you plan to charge your clients to rebuild their sites on another platform?  If so, what are some of your thoughts on how/what to charge for that service?  Do you plan to rebuild your client sites on a different platform at NO CHARGE?  I have done a bit of math as the numbers relate to my business and have determined that rebuilding all applicable websites for my clients onto a new platform will require 3 years worth of work!!  Not only and am I, personally, not physically or mentally up to that kind of challenge, there's obviously no way that I can work for three years to re-do what we have already done for our clients at little to no compensation!  However, charging clients to rebuild runs the risk of seeming opportunistic through this and/or putting us MORE accountable than we already feel to our clients through all of this.

Any suggestions/advice that you can share related to your own situations, as a business or freelancer whose livelihood has relied on the services that you've provided through Muse, would be really helpful to me - and others, I am sure, as we go through this madness together.

At this point, I am just not sure that my business can survive.  I am trying to be optimistic and open-minded, but I also want to be realistic as to the mindset of my clients and their expectations...and understand my legal obligations to my clients based on the services that I have sold.  (For my business, I do have some disclaimers in place, but that doesn't always help protect against legal threat or action and certainly doesn't work to manage expectations).  I have worked extremely hard for the last 25+ years to provide reliable, reputable services, and now my entire reputation as a professional, feels like its on the line.  How I handle this situation with my clients is going to be extremely important.  Any advice, suggestions, personal stories, or guidance from others in this same or similar situation is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine any new web standards will break anything in Muse in the near future. Although not the best coding in the world it is somewhat standardized. And if it does you could simply fix the site outside of Muse or pay someone who knows coding to fix the particular issue. I don't know the future either but I wouldn't jump overboard just yet. i would imagine you can keep using Muse for a good while yet, although we won't have new features we still have a very solid (ok somewhat buggy solid) program we can use.  I doubt clients will hold you accountable really for new browsers technology that breaks their site, it's hardly your fault regardless of what software you used to create it. The best you can do is agree to help them fix it. Like i said either outside fo muse or through a third party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think when it comes down to your clients expectations, ultimately, the inked contract (and the relationship) that you developed will be the deciding factor. If you included language along the lines of  "not responsible for any future changes in technology beyond our control... not responsible for third party changes..." or the like then you're pretty much covered. Now that's just an extremely simplistic example but you get the idea.

Over the past 26+ years we have amassed a such ridiculous amount of experience with fine tuning our contracts we could probably pass any "contract law" exam. This situation is still new so it's best to let things settle and see what ultimately happens. I would think 60-90 days would be enough time to see if our outcries will have any effect on the "return" of Muse.

During that time period it's best to review your contracts and gather all the information you think will be relevant in order to present to your clients with an explination. The more hard facts you have the better off you will be. The better your relationship, the better off you will be. Contrary to what's been propagated by agents of Adobe, truth and honesty actually do account for something in the world of business (at least small business). So be truthful and honest.

There's absolutely no question you will have a mix of understanding and outrage but by thoroughly explaining you situation and that it's not unique to just you, at the very least you will gain and/or maintain respect for being an honest player (unlike Adobe) which may lead to a more sustainable outcome than you think.

To avoid a tremendous amount of  (future) pushback from clients (and in the worst case, small claims) I would suggest getting on that petition and also class action suit that's circulating in this thread. Sign the petition, take a screenshot,  file a complaint to the small claims site, take a screenshot. Keep any correspondence from these sites (and Adobe) in one central location to show you at least "fought" for your clients.

As a fellow small business owner I wish you the best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hanging one's  career on a single product, service or technology is tantamount to professional suicide.   This is not the first time Adobe, Apple or Microsoft have retired products  and it certainly won't be the last.  If you can't roll with changes, you're probably in the wrong profession.   But don't panic.  You still have unitl 2020 to get your ducks in a row.

dlingeroriordan  wrote

Any advice, suggestions, personal stories, or guidance from others in this same or similar situation is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

My advice is to export all your Muse sites to HTML and start maintaining them in a code edtiro like Dreamweaver, Brackets or other open source IDEs.    If you decide to use Dreamweaver, the forum experts there will try to help you as much as we can. 

Dreamweaver support forum

Leaning to work with code begins and ends with you (the web designer).   A good starting point for non-coders is to spend a few weekends on the W3Schools website.  Read the chapters, do the code exercises and take quizes at the end.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I'm probably in the same boat as you.  Adobe has really screwed us!!!  I've got 20-25 Muse sites I will have to rebuild in order to do the right thing by my clients.  I'll probably rebuild them as time allows, but I'm afraid to wait too long because I can't risk sites going south all at one time.  I'm looking at Muse-Themes Architect as a Muse replacement.  It's built on the Duda platform and seems pretty easy and straightforward to use.  The sites are built on templates, but it seems easy to edit them to get almost exactly what you want.  It's not ready for release yet.  They're working on the ability to publish to any server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I struggled with Dreamweaver, then came Muse; made my life and others happy that I could change and update on the fly.  I have been a supporter of Adobe for decades, but EOL for Muse, is going to make me sad. I wonder about the companies that make widgets for Muse, how will it affect them?  I tried Spark, oh crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely infuriating—especially because I don't see a decent alternative being proposed. By suggesting that designers start "investing in UX design and prototyping skills while partnering with development teams to bring their designs to life" and use "Do-It-Yourself (DIY) website creators that leverage customizable templates to quickly create responsive websites that can be easily modified by the designer or a client," you are KILLING the very independence and flexibility that Muse was designed to provide. Making such a drastic shift to your strategy based on "trends in website creation" is completely counter-intuitive and quite the opposite of anything innovative.

Not to mention, we've all spent countless hours learning and enhancing our knowledge of the software because it removes so many limitations in the design of websites, both simple and complex.

@Adobe, release the Muse platform to the community. We'll take it from here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines