• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 2432 Replies 2432
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you are coming from, and I wish I had the answers you require, but I don't. The only way right now is to join the prerelease program and find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they are shutting down Muse before they PRE-RELEASE of the comparable software that is to replace it is even out!?!?! Seriously. Wow... just wow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

Clearly you don't have any answers for us.

Why not go get someone from the project management team that can provide concrete answers. You have customers here that use this product extensively and you are simply shafting us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why would you cancel and stop updating a program that many people rely on for business without knowing and having a suitable (i.e. better) program to push people toward? Some of us do not have coding background and were able to use Muse to create great websites for people without having to have the coding background. I have always been an Adobe supporter, but now, I am questioning whether our company should continue to trust a company that is willing to alienate an entire section of their client base without any plans to really support them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say "Just so that we are clear here, the Spark solution being proposed isn't the same as the Spark page that exists today. It is more of a DIY website creation tool similar to some that are already popular."

Please explain more. Is this going to come closer to Muse's tools and flexibility?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of investing time and money into Spark, Adobe should invest in MUSE, we happy and ADOBE happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe does come up with an alternative not just to the program Muse, but also to Business Catalyst. This was a very upsetting news for designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe Muse if being discontinued so that Adobe can compete against Squarespace? Muse users are very different from Spark users. This is something that the Product Manager should be aware of.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peran,

Spark is extremely basic and is nothing even close to a replacement.

Webflow costs $16 a month for a basic self hosted account and $35 for a full feature set.

This may be fine for people who make money using Muse, but I look after websites for my family and have about 6 or 7 muse based sites. I don't know html code and took on the role of family website creator as muse was around and seemed relatively accessible.

There is no way at all that I would be paying $35 a month to recreate and maintain my family sites... it is infuriating Adobe have done this. I have boycotted Apple Corporation for their neglect of professional video editors when they killed Final Cut Pro for the dumbed down Final Cut X which was unacceptable to most professional editors. Now it seems Adobe is killing a unique and really good program (for my uses and web authoring capability).

WYSIWYG Web Builder  was what I used before Muse. Clunky and nowhere near as good as Muse, but I may have to return to that.

WYSIWYG Web Builder

Very disappointed in you, Adobe.

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran please ask for this:

yes!! with this announcement they will break the contract with customers!:

What happen to my membership of Creative Cloud that allow me 5 live websites host in Business Catalyst? Does the price of the membership will go down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is EXACTLY like what Apple did when they axed Final Cut 7 and replaced it with Final Cut X I don't know anyone who uses X).

That was the beginning of thousands of FCP users flocking to Adobe for Premiere. And I was one of them.

Now Adobe's doing the shafting.

What are you thinking, Adobe????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran  schrieb

Like I said in my previous post, Spark is one of the solutions that was proposed, and not having it used myself, I am not sure about its flexibility or ease of migration. About Webflow, I am hoping that people that have used it will provide some clarity here.

I tested it as solo and with the widget from musegrids.com.

I asked two question more than two weeks ago, reposted – still no answer

Unfortunately this is "saying" enough for now. You kind of "know" me maybe, but timing from adobe is poor

As of this reading spark page is a poor solution, that´s why I tried to use it together with the 3rd party widget from musegrid.com.

I signed in for beta today and will wait. At the moment I don`t panic, but I have my towel with me all time anyway

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a Spark beta program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, I have tried Webflow, and it in no way replaces Muse. I found it unworkable for my needs. It is also another expense on top of the hundreds of dollars already invested in Muse and Muse third-party add-ons and the Adobe subscription that I just renewed and am stuck with for the next year. Muse was one of my most used apps. Without it, my CC subscription is worth much less to me, yet I am going to be paying more.

We don't need another Wix-type web builder! Which is what Spark appears to be heading towards. That is not the audience that relied on Muse! Adobe doesn't seem to have any idea who their customers were who used Muse. It filled a niche in the market that no other software supplied. It allowed complete creative freedom from scratch without using code. It was a godsend for many of us, and we built our businesses and our work around it.

The callous arrogance of Adobe's decision on this is breathtaking. Adobe encouraged an entire community of people and businesses to form around this product, and then, hell with us. Unbelievable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to start a class action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will adobe keep in browser editing for adobe muse users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je suis évidemment aussi dans ce cas. Aucun site ne sortait de mon studio autrement qu'au format muse. Et les derniers projets réalisés seront vite obsolètes…on l'explique comment aux clients ? Et on produit dans qui là maintenant aujourd'hui ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tout à fait raison. Cette démarche d'Adobe montre du mépris pour les personnes qui paient pour leurs produits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Non pas du mépris mais une méconnaissance de nos situations aujourd'hui très complexes à gérer. Je pense en plus que Muse pouvait continuer à être mis à jour sans proposer d'avantage. Certains sites complétaient bien l'offre et la durabilité était plus intéressante que l'innovation un coup à gauche un coup à droite…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuart, you are exactly right. This is the problem I'm facing now too: do I continue using Muse on the assumption that Spark or some other design tool will appear from Adobe and be robust enough to replace Muse (Spark is not, right now), or do I abandon Adobe for website creation and invest my energy in learning Webflow?

The fact that they ditched Muse without an alternative for independent designers is shocking. Spark is not an alternative. It's a tool for amateurs who want to get on the web with the lowest bar. It is not a professional design tool. XD + Dreamweaver is also not a replacement, since that combo of tools is meant for workflow environments where you have a design team work a site then hand it off to a coding team. Muse was the tool for small, independent designers, now that's going away.

So they announce ditching Muse while not only having no replacement for solo and small team designers, but without even an announcement for any future plans to support us.

I don't see how I can put all my chips on black and guess that Adobe will solve this problem. I have no choice but to switch to Webflow. Not that Adobe would care, they will still get my money for the creative suite, which I will always need.

My faith in Adobe, whose products I have been using since 1989 to run my design business, just went in the toilet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TanaSP  wrote

My faith in Adobe, whose products I have been using since 1989 to run my design business, just went in the toilet.

If you've been using Adobe products since '89, you know full well that they pull the plug on products all the time.  This is not the first time nor will it be the last.  Replacements, if there are any, come out much later.

I think the real tragedy  in this is that too many designers got complacent in thinking that

1. they could actually base their career/business on Muse without coding skills or consideration of other non-Muse related web tools. 
  2. this unicorn ride would last forever.  

Unfortunately, unicorns aren't real, the web doesn't stand still and neither do the tools we use.

IMO, putting all your energy into learning just one app or service is not a good long term plan.   A much better approach would be to start learning all you can about native web technologies in as many different tools as possible.   

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've been using Adobe products since '89, you know full well that they pull the plug on products all the time.  This is not the first time nor will it be the last.  Replacements, if there are any, come out much later.

I think the real tragedy  in this is that too many designers got complacent in thinking that

1. they could actually base their career/business on Muse without coding skills or consideration of other non-Muse related web tools. 
  2. this unicorn ride would last forever.  

Unfortunately, unicorns aren't real, the web doesn't stand still and neither do the tools we use.

IMO, putting all your energy into learning just one app or service is not a good long term plan.   A much better approach would be to start learning all you can about native web technologies in as many different tools as possible.   

What a condescending response Nancy.

First off, stating that all users of Muse should have expected to be dropped by Adobe pretty much backs up what everyone is saying here. People are expressing that they have lost faith in the company and don't trust their products anymore. If, like you state, we should expect that Adobe will "pull the plug on their products all the time", then please tell me why we should be using ANY of their future products at all?

I had a post here which was apparently censored by this forum, despite there being no foul language or inappropriate verbiage anywhere within the content of the post. I'll state again what I said in that post, both here and in numerous other forums, that it is my opinion that Adobe has abandoned Muse because they have been monitoring the success of numerous all-in-one, template based sites such as Wix and Squarespace and simply want a piece of that pie. The Muse project directly conflicts with this new direction. They are throwing the Muse community (a community THEY BUILT themselves) under the bus to pursue this more profitable business model. This new direction is outlined rather clearly in the press release pertaining to Muse’s discontinuation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you! Adobe has no allegiance with their web design community anymore and are VERY BUSY partaking of the pie which is our clientele base! It is time to walk away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no no, Nancy... I beg to differ – TanaSP​ is right.

Excuse me for not digging up any old promotional material, but Adobe has been touting Muse as the best tool and the only tool a 'lone ranger' designer needs for his or her websites. Surrounded by the eco-system of Adobe's other key applications, it didn't seem to be a bad choice to rely on this tool at all. Especially when Adobe re-developed the code base (coming from its AIR-driven grass-roots) into a native application in 2014, and trustfully promoted Muse to the CC hemisphere, along with all the other key applications.

Of course, applications come and go, and I started having my doubts since MAX 2016. But judging by the Muse product page, communications, and upgrades, no regular user could have expected this EOL announcement. You truly can't blame a web designer for having drunk the Adobe Kool-Aid for many years.

However, I also think that a current user who hasn't been alerted by Muse's EOL announcement, will happily continue using Muse for a couple of years and then quickly move on to whatever's available by then. Ignorance is bliss...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I haven’t drank the Kool-Aid but, I stepped back out of the panic and decided I’m going to use Muse for that next couple years anyway. It works for what I’m doing and two years gives other developers, or whoever, a lot of time to create or improve products. Two years is a long time in the tech world and I’m not going to stress learning something new in a hurry when you really don’t have to panic today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines