• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost my Muse file, can I import my published site?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently did a bit of a clean up and must have mistakenly deleted the Muse file for my site.  Syc with web is not active... can i some how import my site from the web back onto my PC and Muse?

Regards

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

No, if you have no .muse file, you only can use inbrowser editing (if you activated in your project file). And via inbrowser editing you only can edit text, edit links and replace already existing images.

It is just like a PDF: Once created, you need the source file to modify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Unfortunately not.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the fast reply. So the SYNC function doesn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One hint for the future:

• In Muse, create an extra page and exclude it from your menus.
  • Place a button onto this page and link it to your actual .muse file.
  • Now, on export, your .muse project file will be uploaded together with your site, and you have kind of backup on your hosting server.
  • In case of need, just enter the page’s address directly into your browser’s address field, and click onto the button, to download the project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gunter,  I'll do that for sure.  So there is no option but to start again!!!?   'Sync with web version' is just there for a .... joke?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site that is up on the net is fine...  is there a way I could modify one page and upload that page only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. For syncing you would need at least two instances, right.

You could only start from scratch.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, if you have no .muse file, you only can use inbrowser editing (if you activated in your project file). And via inbrowser editing you only can edit text, edit links and replace already existing images.

It is just like a PDF: Once created, you need the source file to modify it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much.  That's one lesson learned the hard way. Months of work down the toilet :0(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily I have a saved Muse file which is only a few months work out of date... all the structure is there. 

I can download my site via FTP...  I can't 'add files for upload' to this old save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lesson is not that new, by the way.

Since we have computers, the mantra is „backup“, „backup“, „backup“.

• If you are on a Mac, did you switch off "Time Machine“ on purpose?
  • If you are on Windows, what’s about „File History“?

And: If you have an older version of the .muse file, you can download your homepage data and re-use the assets. Additionally you can copy ynd past content from your life site. This will help reconstructing the site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again,

Last question... ' For syncing you would need at least two instances'  I have 2 instances don't I?  The published site and an old save..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old save – in which version? The uploaded site – in which version.

Try to upload the old saved site, ( do not forget to save the "old" before you overwrite it with the latest version of muse or use a previous version of muse) after you have changed whatever needs to be changed and muse will warn you/inform you wether there are changes to be synchronized or not.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe,

2017.0.1.11 for both versions I think because I have resisted upgrades for fear of it forcing me into some Cloud based thing.

So if I were to create a new page in the old, outdated site, I could maybe just publish that page?

Regards

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just put in your credentials (after you made your changes you need, of course).

You could also delete everything from your ftp and publish but I think publish should work:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-08 um 14.40.06.png

You could, for safety reasons, put everything on your ftp into a separate folder on that ftp and remove it if something fails.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davek65600597  wrote

So there is no option but to start again!!!?

correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create whatever site you want, and re-publish it as new site with the same address over the old one. But, as fotoroeder​ already said: Don't forget to save the existing data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you´re welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines