Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

menu doesn't scale in other breakpoints

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, there's something going on I do not understand:
I've built my responsive homepage, and set various breakpoints (1024, 480, 320).

Everything works fine, the hamburger / accordion menu scales to every browser width.

Yesterday, I wanted to set 2 new breakpoints (800, 600).

The menu doesn't scale anymore. It keeps its width between 692 and 480.

It is not possible to downsize it.

When I try to type another number in the pixel field, it jumps back to 692.

If someone knows advice, that would be great, thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

It did help, but only partially, because your question wasn’t clear:

You said:

"Everything works fine, the hamburger / accordion menu scales to every browser width.

It is not possible to downsize it."

It is not clear

• if the hamburger menu works or not,

• if the „normal“ menu works or not, (I thought, you are talking about this one)

• Which menu (standard/hamburger) you did as

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please delete all content on all pages except the menu widget, save this .muse file and let us have a look at it?

Please read these instructions before going on: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8652

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I've reduced the file and uploaded it to the cloud:

Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your menu is set to „Uniform Spacing“, therefore it won’t behave responsively in the actual version of Muse. Set it to „Uniform Size“, and all works fine!

Uniform Spacing“ applied to a responsive menu will need exorbitant calculation power. I don’t know, if HTML even supports this.

When you resize a window, Muse has to calculate and sum up the width of every character of each menu entry and calculate the distance between all entries to „balance“ their width in „real time“ and relationship to the actual window width. If you use – for example bold characters or a different font size for the menu’s rollover state, the complete menu has to grow/shrink, when you touch it with the mouse, because the over all width of the „touched“ entry grows/shrinks. This obviously would cause a very jumpy, flickering appearance of your menu – something, nobody really wants to have or to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback, but I'm afraid that did not help at all:

Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did help, but only partially, because your question wasn’t clear:

You said:

"Everything works fine, the hamburger / accordion menu scales to every browser width.

It is not possible to downsize it."

It is not clear

• if the hamburger menu works or not,

• if the „normal“ menu works or not, (I thought, you are talking about this one)

• Which menu (standard/hamburger) you did assign/wanted to assign to the new breakpoints,

• Which menu doesn’t accept downsizing,

• if you set the breakpoints, or if you wanted to set them. (You page has a 600 px breakpoint, but no 800 px breakpoint.)

How should one answer to such a „question“?

The solution (I hope after all that guessing!):

1. Set all menus within your accordion at all breakpoint 1024 px and smaller to „uniform size“ otherwise it can’t scale and runs out of the accordion. But I already said this.

2. Unpin all elements. Pinning isn’t necessary in this use case at all.

3. Reposition the accordion in these breakpoints and

4. Resize the accordion at 630 px and 530 px. (You can’t do this, before you have justified the menus within the accordions).

Here a working version of your menu in a sample page: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oeicfcljtph3qfo/Test-Menu-Scale-issue.zip?dl=0

If you don’t succeed in fixing: Please tell us step by step, what you are doing, and what you are trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot, I succeeded and everything works fine now!
I understood your first answer wrong and set the menu on uniform size only in the maximum browser width, not in every breakpoint.
Building this homepage are my first steps with Muse, and (concerning to my "everyday english" which misses some specific terms) I may have been not as detailed as I should, sorry for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem at at! Fine, that you were able to fix your issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines