• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect" Warning Message

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In recent months a large volume of users have reported they are being shown a browser message stating “Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect.” The purpose of this message is to inform you that missing or outdated Muse files exist on the server that is hosting your site. When Muse generates the files for a site it writes a unique key value or version into the JavaScript files, HTML files and some of the CSS files. When an HTML page is loaded a snippet of JavaScript confirms the keys of version numbers the HTML file expects are what's found in the loaded JavaScript and CSS files.

If not all of the correct files exist on your server then viewers of the site might experience issues such as:

•    Incorrect Positioning, Formatting, Sizing

•    Unexpected Interactions (ex. Widgets will fail to work)

•    JavaScript Errors are Reported

•    Missing Images

When the warning appears one of several possible problems could exists. Below is a list of the most probable causes:

1.    One or more files are missing from the server or the permissions are set incorrectly. (The browser can't access one of the site's files) On server systems, files and folders are given attribute settings called permissions that tell the system what actions can be performed with these files, and who is allowed to perform them.

2.    Files on the server are from mixed versions of Muse or mixed versions of your site (i.e. mypage.html from a different version of the page than mypage.css).

3.    Custom code added to the page is invalid or conflicts with Muse code. Potential cases are copying and pasting in embed code that's missing closing tags (i.e. <div> with no matching </div>) or attempting to add more complicated code that brings in a different version of jQuery or other conflicting JavaScript. If this is the cause of the warning message, it can be browser-specific, since JavaScript is often used to compensate for bugs is specific browsers or browser versions

4.    In very rare cases we've seen a browser load one file from the local cache and another from the server when both files on the server were newer than what is in the browsers cache. This results in a mismatch in the browser and thus the warning message. This cause of the warning would be on one specific computer and in one specific browser. Muse takes measures to prevent browser caching issues so it is very rare. If it occurs clearing the browser cache will be necessary to avoid the warning message. If the warning weren't present clearing the cache would be necessary in order to have the page display and behavior correctly, without formatting errors, JavaScript errors or errors in behavior

5.    Also very rare, but we've had cases where the server side caching provided by BC fails to properly clear the cache for some files when new versions are published. If this occurs the server side cache will clear after a period of time, or BC support can explicitly force the cache to be cleared. Again, this one is very rare, but it has occurred.

6.    Problems at the hosting provider. If your hosting provider is intermittently not serving up all the files for a given page of the site, that will cause this warning message to appear. This is also very rare, but has occurred.

Of the issues listed above, options #1 and #2 account for the majority of reports for this warning. When a third-party FTP solution is used, the application commonly fails to upload everything that has changed. When either of these two are the cause, the warning is consistent in all browsers. To resolve this issue, you should delete all existing Muse files on the server and re-upload all of your files exported from Muse.

If you choose to use Muse’s internal FTP client (“File” -> “Upload to FTP Host”) then Muse will detect which files have changed and only upload those files. If you choose to export the Muse site (“File -> “Export to HTML”)  and upload using a third party FTP solution, it is recommended to upload all files and folders exported from Muse and use the "only upload changed files" setting(s) within your FTP client (if it has such a setting) to minimize what's actually uploaded, rather than attempting to second guess what's actually been updated.

Furthermore details for missing/mismatching files can be checked on page with browser developer tools (specifically the JavaScript console), you can type "Muse.assets" (minus the quotes) in the JavaScript console to view the object that contains lists of the files Muse believes are out-of-date or missing. Note that in order to not impact the load performance of the web page, Muse only verifies the version and existence of JavaScript files and the page-specific .css file. Images, assets and the global and master page css are not verified.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have been having this issue a lot with the latest website I am building for a client. We let our clients review their sites on a sub-directory of our company website so they can view and interact with the website before it goes live (our agency website is also built in Adobe Muse). It isn't really feasible for us to re-upload our company site every time we want a client to view their site, so what are your suggestions?

Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sanjit,

I am building the company website with Muse, then using Dreamweaver to add some analytics code, and other items. I did a beta release at start of May - and there were zero error messages conflicts - base site was up and running fine on that first unveiling. A couple of weeks later, I did another release which essentially added a few additional pages. I am now getting this error message throughout the site (which this thread is entitled), and can't find out where the problem is. I backed out and went back to the original release - and the message now pops up every time the pages load. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the URL for the site? What method are you using to upload changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak,

url is www.cronsrud.com.

I am using the export to .html command directly to our local server (Dreamweaver) and then opening each html page in DW to add the code I need. Then I use DW to link with remote server and upload pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the .css files generated by Muse the last time there was an Export as HTML were not uploaded. The .css files (at least those for the pages generating errors) are not from the same version of the site as the corresponding .html files.

If you export from Muse to an empty local folder and re-upload everything to your site it will ensure everything is there and of the correct version.

What changes are you making after exporting as HTML? It's nearly always better to make those changes within Muse using "Insert HTML", Page Properties <head> section or a MuCOW widget, rather than manually editing the files generated by Muse every time you update/export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using that to add analytics code, but the code always shows up as text in the background of the page.... am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zak. I left you an email with the company url last friday. Thought of sharing it here as well.

"www.urbanengineersgroup.com" is the web address. I exported as HTML because i do not have access to correct FTP. So i manually upload the files.

The website works perfectly fine when i upload on the "business catalyst" from Adobe Muse. http://ueg1.businesscatalyst.com/

Kindly resolve asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am building a new site and just one page has started to return this warning when previewing either page or site in Chrome browser (displays fine in Preview within Muse). All 4-5 other pages in the site are fine.

Here's the funny thing:  all pages use the same master, and I have even turned off ALL elements on the problem page. In fact, I even tried making a new blank master, assigning it to this problem page, and with nothing else on the page, previewing in the Chrome Browser. Same error!!

It seems there must be something amiss with the core page code, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I simply created a new page, copied everything and pasted it in place. It worked. Then I started fixing a few things, and it didn't work. I couldn't ring down to what exactly it was that ka-flewed it. But I'm wondering if having named it with the inclusion of an ampersand was the cause?

So I re-re did the page, stayed away from "&" and am fine, and hoping for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very unlikely it had anything to do with the ampersand (Muse automatically removes an ampersand from file names). Did your page contain any objects created using Object > Insert HTML? Any third party widgets? Any code added to the <head> section in Page Properties? As mentioned in the doc, invalid HTML code can trigger this error. If you encounter it again, and the caused doesn't appear to be one of the items listed in this post, the most effective way to get help is to post the URL for the page so we can look at the code of the page (and site) and determine what's triggering the error. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak,

Negative on all the items you listed. So not sure what it was, but remaking the page anew once or thrice, did the job.

Thanks!

Lance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zak,

I had the issue come back again. TIt appears with both "preview in browser" and when FTP'd to the server from Muse. And it shows up on a number of devices.

Oddly, again just on that one page. After a lot of back and forth I checked the console and see the issue did appear to be a CSS file problem.  Even when I make every item on the page invisible, and turn off the master page items, it still errors with nothing on the page.

I found that if I changed the page name (name.html, not title, etc.) then it would work. Change the name back, no work. Make a new page with the same name, no work. Change the name, work.

I don't see this fitting into any of the categories you list above, perhaps I missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the exact name of the page and the file name of the page? I'm not aware of one, but it sounds like there could be a problem related to special characters in page or file names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the name of the page, and file name of page was "advertising". Simple enough. If you recall (see further up this thread thread I think), that the name of the page had an "&" before, which I thought might have caused some issues (you said not likely).

What I'm wondering is, is it possible that the data written for the css file, which pertains specifically to the "advertising" page, is corrupt somehow and simply won't re-write. So the only way out from that chunk of data is to change the name? Just a totally uneducated guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this article. I have been having this issue with my site for a while and finally got it 100% resolved. Thanks for the tips!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the same message:

"Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect. Clear browser cache and try again. If the problem persists please contact website author."

Over a two day period, I changed several things on the website, saved under a different name and re-uploaded, checked for software updates, etc.  I still couldn't get it to work.  Finally, I just decided to add www. to the beginning of our web address on the sign in page and BAM, I was in.

I'm sure there are many reasons you may get the message, but try the simplest fix first.  Try adding www. when signing in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem for a while now and I am hoping that I can have one of the experts look at my site. I have done a few things but still the problem continues.

I exported all the files (export to HTML in a virgin folder) and uploaded no change. I have gone to my server who host the site, Go Daddy and removed the CSS, Script and overwritten the HTML files. I left the image files and re-imported all the above mentioned files, no change.  I am wondering if the recent up Muse update has anything to do with it. I am getting a bit stressed at this point as my site has been trouble for a couple of weeks now, my website is

www.midtownegallery.ca

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some files on the server are missing message is popping up now that I am uploading changes in the new updated Muse. When refreshed, everything appears to be in order. Muse also crashes right at the end of the ftp upload. bluesinsanantonio.net. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue resolved once I went to my host folder and deleted google.xml and bing.xml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to the 2015.2 release and updating one page, muse decided to reupload all my pages and started giving me this error.  Some files on the server may be missing or incorrect. Clear browser cache and try again. If the problem persists please contact website author.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for posting this!

As helpful as this is I'm still having difficulty understanding since i never made a website bore or deal with much coding. I have made my works website: eaglegraphic and i always seem to get the same message "some files on server may be missing or incorrect overtime i update the site. For the past few months i have been getting by with another co-worker fixing the problem on his computer. He does something with saving the index files as HTM and not HTML and Dreamweaver then he updates it through there? He said our site is looking for the HTM and not HTML?

I would like to fix the problem on my computer since I'm the one working on it. And if possible upload it to an FTP.

- I have deleted all old & duplicate Muse files. Still the same issue.

- Checked to see if the Google Analytics code had any issues with closing tags but everything seemed ok.

- Cleared History. Still get the same message.

Also even after i get the pop up message and click ok, i still see everything there and working properly.

With never using Muse before now i have a lot of files saved in many folders. Could that be an issue? i exported the site as HTML into a folder i still have issues. All the files in my Muse site are all SVG images,embedded/pasted images and text then photos coming from a folder.

I am a graphic designer and would like to make more websites in the future with Muse but i just really want this issue solved.

I hope this made somewhat sense. I'm just not sure what else to do.

This is my site URL: www.eaglegraphic.com

Thanks! (also sorry if i missed the answer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I would update a site, I mades sure I was uploading from a iCloud account. I downloaded all to my hard drive. Then I did not just upload modified files, but just replaced the whole site. Hope this helps. I also opened my photos with the newest version of Photoshop and reserved them as GIFS and JPEGS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do I keep receiving these posts???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I have been waiting patiently for either a fix from Adobe or this issue which has manifested itself (for me, anyway,) only after updating to Muse CC (2015.1). That, obviously, was some months ago. The only way I can get the site to load cleanly is to remove all site files from the server via Fetch, and then to upload the exported site via Fetch.

Uploading only modified files via Muse does not work.

Uploading all files via Muse does not work.

Deleting and then uploading all files via Muse does not work.

There is no external code inserted, no mixed file versions, the problem occurs across servers...in short, none of the "it's not Muse's fault" answers appear to apply.  The bottom line is that uploading the files with Muse does not work, uploading the same files with an alternative FTP program does.  It would not be a big deal to go back to Freeway (with its working upload function!) to create a simple, five-page site like the one I am currently writing, so please address this issue.

Thanks, David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines