• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I upgrade my RAM? MUSE is slow.

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to decide one or the other...

1. Either I don't have enough RAM
  2. Muse has memory leaks / is a huge resource hog

I'm on one of the most powerful iMac's in my department and it should run all software very smoothly even for a power user... but Muse drags so slowly I sit around watching the beach ball spin half the time.

Muse v.10 Build 948, CL 767416

AIR Runtime: 3.2.0.2070

iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I only have 8GB of RAM in this machine so it's obvious a RAM upgrade would help anything - but I am unsatisfied that Muse won't work efficiently / fluidly out of the box.

Working on a Muse file with about 50 pages... any movement or opening of a page lags and shows the spinning beach ball for far too long. please advise? 

I want to trust this software will have substantial updates to its resource usage.

Sean    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Here is an update in case anyone is keeping track of this thread.

I sent my MUSE file to Adobe and they took a look at it and recreated what I was trying to do and had no problems. (My MUSE was acting incredibly slow on some pages... 10's of minutes of spinning beachball).

I made new/different pages on my site and things were good.I just recreated the page piece by piece that I was having problems with (thinking that there is something/wrong or corrupt on that page)and all is well so far.

Thanks to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse is INCREDIBLY slow. Ive noticed the more images I add to my sight the slower and slower it gets.... Its also slows down the entire computer when Im working on Muse - so now I pretty much have to go in, do a bit of work and then save and shut down so I can keep working with other programs if I dont want to see lots of spinning wheels and work at the pace of a snail. (Muse images are on my HD - not a server)

This is a major flaw to a program that we need to pay into virtually forever if we want to keep using it to house our sites. I had been recommending Muse to friends but now Ive discovered they are ALL experiencing the same thing so Ill need to hold off on giving this a thumbs up to anyone until Adobe addressing this critical problem.

Your solution seems complicated and problematic. For instance, I have some images in more than one location on my site (in different sizes) - so Im assuming if I click this 'optimize asset size' option in the main place all the images are it will most likely mess up the other locations where the image is show slightly larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It you select all the items in the Assets panel, right click and select "Optmized Asset Size" Muse will discard all extra data. If a given asset is used at three different sizes, it will reduce the image to the largest size used.

Ericorlan, are you on Mac or Windows? What OS version? How large is your .muse file? I assume the .muse file is also on your hard drive (not a server, or other slow media).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zac, very helpful...

I "Optimized asset size" and my Muse File went from 88 meg to 29 meg.

I'd rather replace a larger image if I need it in the future, than turn off people from using my site because it takes too long to display the lightbox images. It works a lot faster now.

Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear "Optimize asset size" doesn't change the quality or size of the images on your Published/Uploaded site. What it does is reduce the size of the images in the .muse file to only exactly the size that's needed for export. This improves performance because it (often drastically) reduces the amount of image data Muse has to manage and it eliminates the need for Muse to downsample images as Publish/Export time, since the images are already the correct size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, to be clear again. The Optimization of images is only to reduce the memory usage in Muse itself and does not optimize the image for upload to the server. Correct? Or am I not understanding this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Muse always resamples/resizes images to the required size during Publish/Export.

The "Optimize asset size" feature does this same image resizing step, but then discards the original data and only saves the resized image in the .muse file. That makes the .muse file much smaller but it has the side effect that if you subsequently need to resize an image larger within Muse you'll need to specifically tell Muse to "Import larger size" (via the right click menu on the image in the Assets panel) or the imaged that was resized larger may appear pixelated when Published/Exported and Muse will warn the image is being "upsampled."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated Muse 2015 is ridiculously slow. Just to open the programme takes 20 mins!

How can we fix this?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH!!!!!  Thanks for clarifying!!!!!!!   I thought this had impact to the Published file, so I optimized all my assets, and spent time adding transparent pixels to preserve pngs where needed.

So when you were advising to Optimize, it was for people who were having slowness in using the app on their desktop, yes?

I just had slowness after the site was published live. How do you speed up a site with 14 pages of lightboxes? Some of the pages take a long time to load.   FYI: Some of the images in the lightboxes show up as outlined boxes.

Thanks, Zac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse has become slow for me too. Pasting html into a page, or even just trying to delete a space in a type box, I get the spinning beachball.... becoming annoying. I do really like the program though, the ease of it, the features, etc, but getting annoyed at waiting for simple things...

Any way to speed it up?

I'm on a macbook pro,

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

btw... I'm not talking 5-10-15 second delays... I'm talking 5.... 10.... 20 minutes of spinning beachball...

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stygian8,

I am pretty confident it's not Muse as I have a similar setup to yours. I did experience a slowdown a few versoins back but that cleared up. Just out of curiosity, are you using Google Chrome as a browser? The reason I ask is that Chrome has become very unstable and hangs, crashes, freezes... and did affect other programs too (photoshop). Once I stopped using chrome everything went back to "normal". There may be something running in the background, a conflict of some sort so maybe starting from "scratch" by closing any unessential programs and just running Muse may help.

Just a thought.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply... Yes I do use Google's chrome, but also Safari. I did close everything, restart, etc and it was still happening (but maybe chrome was open....). I'll try again on monday evening from a fresh resart straight to Muse without starting any other programs to see if that helps.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has suggestions or ideas, please let them known.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still slow from a fresh restart and only Muse open. (I did have TextEdit open to copy some text). There might be something 'bad' on the page I am trying to copy on, but I don't know why that would bring Muse to a halt on copying text to a new text block.

Any ideas from others?

thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reverting to an older version for testing purposes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stygian8-

It sounds like Muse is slow for you working with one particular muse site. Could you send a copy of your .muse file to muse-support@adobe.com along with a link to this topic so we can investigate? If your file is > 20MB, use a filesharing service like SendThisFile or Adobe SendNow. Also, a description of what you're doing, and which page of your site you're working on may help us isolate the problem.

Thanks.

#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... I sent the .muse file along with description through Adobe SendNow...

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an update in case anyone is keeping track of this thread.

I sent my MUSE file to Adobe and they took a look at it and recreated what I was trying to do and had no problems. (My MUSE was acting incredibly slow on some pages... 10's of minutes of spinning beachball).

I made new/different pages on my site and things were good.I just recreated the page piece by piece that I was having problems with (thinking that there is something/wrong or corrupt on that page)and all is well so far.

Thanks to Adobe (and Lance from Adobe) for looking into my file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, very slow. Copying/pasting of simpel items is slow, undo is slow. Also running photoshop, illustrator and indesign, but this never gave any problems in the past.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

1,6 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

All files are local

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this carried over from the "B" version because I filed a bug report stating the same issues barts91637867‌ is reporting. My situation is basically the same running PS, Bridge, and Browser in the "background". I'm on an intel i7, Win7 12mbRam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zak

This is really useful thank you. Please could you confirm, if I use the 'optimise asset' feature does it effect the original image file, or is the size only changed in the MUSE document.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless something has changed NO it does not affect your oritinal image(s) as muse stores a copy the assets (in your case images) in a separate folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks!!!! I figured it out.

Keep that "Assets window" closed as much as possible. When open, SLOW. When on another menu, LIGHTNING FAST.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I haven't heard of the assets panel slowing things down before. If you have a file where this happens consistently, please send that file to muse-support@adobe.com along with a link to this topic so we can investigate the problem. If your .muse file is > 20MB, use a filesharing service like SendThisFile or Adobe SendNow.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg,

I find that it is not just the "Assets window" but the entire dialog box with all the tools and features (states, color, text, etc.). The biggest "Adobe Muse is slow" problem I face is clicking off the program into...let's say a browser or Word or photoshop (I have dual screens). When I go to click back into Muse it takes about six seconds for that dialog box to appear.  I've tried closing it, but it doesn't seem to help.  I'm doing a lot of copy/paste from Word back into Muse and I see that lag time as an issue.

BTW, I never click or mess with the "assets" tab in the dialog window, I have a lot of assets on my site and clicking that tab will instantly crash the program. I just wish it was as simple as telling Muse it can use 1,000 Mb of my ram instead of it maxing out at 500 Mb in my Windows task manager dialog.

Still better than going bald in one year learning HTML!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have a couple more Muse projects under my belt, and I realize that preparing my files a lot closer to the end-result (ie-not importing print-resolution files, but sizing them down or screen capturing them from a preview image) is saving Muse's resources. I am also paying more attention to Up-Sizing Images - that's an apparent no no.

Noteworthy, larger sites with lots of pages do take longer to open and work on. But keep my above stratagy in mind, and you may find a balance between performance and switching programs.

Greg!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigbiigd37,

When you switch from another app to Muse, one thing Muse does is check to make sure your links are still up to date. This is usually very fast, but it can be somewhat slow if you have a lot of links, and it could be very slow if you have a lot of links that are slow to access, such as links to files on remote server volumes. Do you have links to files on the network? If so moving these files local to your hard drive should speed up Muse's file checking.

Also, if Muse crashes a lot when switching in, please send your MuseLog.txt file(found in your User Documents folder) to muse-support@adobe.com so we can investigate and fix the problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines