• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tablet version of website is showing up instead of desktop version in Google Chrome

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read some of the other discussions and have now figured out that Google Chrome is serving up the tablet website version on smaller desktop monitors. I am not using Business Catalyst. I tested this and found that when I am on my 15.4" Macbook Pro laptop, using Chrome, I get the tablet website version. Doing the same thing on my 27" iMac, using Chrome, I get the desktop website version. Right now I am going to add a link that says, "On a Computer Using Google Chrome? Fix View Here"and I'll send them to the desktop versioin. However, this is not the cure, only a remedy.

Is this bug being reviewed by Adobe Muse? Is there something that I can do on my end to stop this from happening? 

TOPICS
Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

We released a fix for this a few minutes ago. Restart Muse and you'll get the update. Let us know if it addresses your problem. My apologies for the trouble!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have an issue with your install of Muse. Try uninstalling Muse (in Windows, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features) and try reinstalling from the Creative Cloud installer, and try republishing. It seems like there might have been an issue updating one of your files we need to publish. Once you've reinstalled, try republishing again with the Upload all files option, and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED HARD WAY.

FIRST: I uninstalled Muse and then re-installed from CC. Open MUSE site container uploaded to host. Same problem. Desktop site went to tablet.

SECOND: I planned to try hard way. Restored my HD image (sector by sector) from time before Muse Installation. Did fresh Installation from CC. Opened Muse and old site container. tested by using preview site in browser. Worked ! Uploaded to host and now working perfectly.

I'm wondering if Muse is using another ADOBE apps shared dll etc... functions and unistalling Muse does not really clean all. Must be something like this !

Negatives: My Windows 7 image was from last august and already needed to go trough 110 Microsoft updates + other apps updates. Took pretty many hours.

Positives: I got rid of many garbage such as residues of some unistalled apps.

RESULT: Muse works as I want now. Table is clean and tools are working. It was worth that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My websites work perfectly on all browsers on all my desk tops and laptops just got a new dell touchscreen laptop and all browsers are showing tablet site. It is windows 8... Couple of my other computers are windows 8 Also, only difference is touchscreen.. Very frustrating!! I am running latest updated Muse, Have republished and cleared cache on all, still showing Tab site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have reset, rebooted, and now working in IE and Firefox cleared cache several times still showing Tab site in chrome...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TnT170, What's the URL for your site? Where is your site hosted? What version of Muse are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this issue. Is it still unresolved?

Any website I created in Muse defaults to the tablet version on my daughter's laptop using Chrome, but it's fine on my laptop with Chrome.

Chrome on both computers is up to date and Muse is up to date.

Is there a means to correct this? I'm really not liking the option of a message telling users to click to redirect. It seems unprofessional. Is there any other way to get around this, like a script we can include?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, success. Your team is terrific with response time and attention to duty. We are happy snow campers in Colorado.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Very impressed over here. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am having the same issue, is there a fix for this?

I have updated my Chrome and just updated MUSE and I still get the same issue? All was fine 3 days ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No its not been resolved,  I started a new discussion about 2 weeks ago, it's a disgrace, adobe is usually on top of these things but I really don't think they know how to fix this issue! Last I heard was they were saying the only issues were with the Dell laptops with touchscreens which is not true at all and I guess that's there way of saying they don't have a clue.. i can't tell customers that want tablet sites that we will have to put a link on your tab site so people wanting to view your desktop site can view it.. how the muse team can feel that this is professional I have no clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem now on a HP 300-1025 desktop (touchscreen) with 1600x900 screen-resolution.

Firefox and IE everything ok, but in chrome (latest release) it switches to tablet, which is very annoying.

working with extra links is very unprofessional.

is there any solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original issue posted in this thread was fixed. However, Chrome recently made a change enabling a different feature for their most recent version (35) which seems to have a bug in it. A bug has been filed with the Chrome team, and they are aware of the issue (bug is #352942 if you'd like to be notified of changes, though the Chrome team prefers to keep noise in their bugs to a minimum, so starring it is the best way to watch it instead of commenting on it). The short of it is that Chrome is improperly reporting that it is a touch device, which is setting up a false-positive for our tablet detection code in some cases.

For Non-BC hosts, the way we determine if you are on a phone, tablet, or a laptop is using a combination of screen size, pixel density and touch capabilities. For tablet devices, we will only redirect if your screen is less than 960 pixels in either dimension when adjusted for pixel density, and is a touch device. This cutoff line is a bit of a balancing act we have to play, especially as more devices are coming into the market with different dimensions. The new iPads for example, will be less than this value because of adjustments we make, but older models will report 960 as their size. The touch capability is a criteria because we try to prevent redirection of smaller laptops to a more touch-centric design, and all modern tablets are touch devices. However, this does mean that hybrid and touch laptops, as well as larger tablets, can sometimes fall into this middle area where they may get an unexpected layout. Unfortunately, from the information the browser tells us, there isn't a better way to determine what type of device your on, and which site would be best to serve. As such, we recommend including links from one rendition to another because that allows the user to make the right choice if they happen to have one of these devices, or if they simply prefer a different experience (I know a number of people who prefer to view desktop sites on their phones). These links are also common practice on the web, and can be seen on many of the most popular websites.

With the bug Chrome has introduced, they are falsely reporting some non-touch computers as touch screens to us, and therefore that middle area of devices is expanded. It looks like the problem may be Windows specific, and it looks like not all copies of Chrome on Windows are hitting the bug. We will continue to monitor the situation from the Chrome team and evaluate options and solutions for the problem. Unfortunately, because of the way Chrome is reporting things, and because it is only wrong sometimes, Chrome will be a better place for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this explanation, Andrew.

I would like to put a button/link on the tablet view which will redirect to the desktop view if clicked, but  I want the button showing only if the user is on Chrome. Is this possible? Could there be a widget for this?

I'm not experienced in Javascript, so I'm unable to do it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your long and detailed answer!

hopefully the bug will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2014 Jun 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Chrome showing tablet version of my website - is there a fix as yet? I have the latest Muse CC 2014 and the latest version of chrome!

Please help - makes it tricky for a web designer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same problem, even with Muse CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a customer contact me with the same problem. I informed them of the issue and asked them to be patient. IT will have to be contacted soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now here is a strange thing... I clicked on a lower level (daughter) page on my website and it showed as the desktop version - when I went back to any page from there the problem had gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it says ?devicelock=desktop   - weird huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you scroll up to comment #34, you will see that this is not an issue with Adobe Muse. It's a bug in Chrome. There is also a workaround solution in comment 34.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue which I just discovered was an issue today. We were testing the site and I had to ask the test viewer to switch browsers in which case he was able to view the site in desktop mode just fine. He is also using the smaller ThinkPads. Any idea when this may be resolved? We are hoping to go live next week. Thanks for all you do! I still Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the updated Muse CC 2014 and it is doing the same thing. What can we do to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I read about the issue with Chrome on response 34. I think it may be thinking my laptop is a tablet since it is a large touch screen. Has there been a proposed date as to when they estimate this bug will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution that's better than a "go to full site" button.

I'd like Adobe to verify this solution, and see if there may be results I'm not expecting.

The problem is Chrome is reporting as being a touch enabled device. Muse checks for this by checking the maximum number of touchpoints (javascript property: navigator.maxTouchPoints). Touchpoints are how many fingers or pointers a device can recognize at one time. If Muse sees 1 or more touchpoint, it classifies the device/monitor as being touch capable.

The good part is that Chrome is only erroneously reporting 1 touchpoint. I say this is good because most tablets have at least 2. SO, we can tell Muse to only classify the device/monitor as being touch capable if it has MORE than 1 touchpoint.

I made this change in the javascript file "musedirect.js". The file is created by Muse and put in the "scripts" folder after you publish or export your site. The first line of code is:

typeof Muse=="undefined"&&(Muse={});Muse.Redirect={};Muse.Redirect.domPrefixes=["Webkit","Moz","O","ms","Khtml"];Muse.Redirect.Touch=function(){if(navigator.maxTouchPoints>0)return!0;else for(var a=0,b=Muse.Redirect.domPrefixes.length;a<b;a++){var c=Muse.Redirect.domPrefixes+"MaxTouchPoints";if(c in navigator&&navigator)return!0}try{return document.createEvent("TouchEvent"...

That bold, underlined part is Muse checking if the maximum number of touchpoints is greater than 0. I changed that part to be:

if(navigator.maxTouchPoints>1)

So now it's checking if the maximum number of touchpoints is greater than 1.

This fixed the problem for me! On a desktop with smaller resolutions using Chrome, I am served the desktop version. On an iPad mini (the only tablet I had to test with) I get the tablet version.

Could someone from Adobe look into this? Are there any undesirable side effects from this that I'm not seeing?

If anyone else decides to do this and modify that javascript file, don't forget to refresh or clear your cache in chrome so you can see the results.

-Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I tried your solution, but it isn't working for my touch-screen laptop. My screen size is 15". It works fine on my non-touch screen laptop. I'm really concerned about how to fix this. I'm hoping someone from Adobe will respond soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines