• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add forward slash in URL

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Muse I'm trying to recreate the exact same URL from a website built early by a webdesigner. The URL has a very high ranking in Google and I don't want to lose it or the direct URL link to it.

The URL I want to create is this:

http://www.peterdiianni.com/writings/preserving-artwork.html

I figured creating a new CHILD or a new SIBLING would add a forward slash and the word "writing" but I can only get it to be:

http://www.peterdiianni.com/preserving-artwork.html

Is there a way to configure my Muse website to have the first URL?

Thanks, Peter

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Simple solution.  Redirect server traffic from old URL to new URL.  The manner in which you do this depends on what type of server and hosting plan you have.   On a Linux server, you can edit or create an .htaccess file in a plain text or code editor (not Muse) and upload it to your server's root folder where your index page resides.  Or use your server's C-panel to add a rewrite rule as shown below.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !http://www.peterdiianni.com/writings/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t simply add a slash to your page name. To recreate a path like "test.com/something/it-is-me.html" you need to recreate this structure on your server. But Muse has its own way to create directories. It will always be test.com/it-is-me.html". The only thing you can do: Create a subdomain. In this case you will be able to have "something.test.com/it-is-me.html".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gunter,

Thanks for the response.

From your description it doesn't sound like the creation of a subdirectory directly in Muse will work for me if I'm trying to replicate an exact URL address with 2 forward slashes. But you mention that it might be possible to recreate this sturcture on the server. I'm not terribly savy about working with servers, but if you have a relatively simply explanation of how I might do this, I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

(Or if anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears)

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse is no coding app, itn is a web design app. It depends completely on its own directory structure, to which you have no access without manual coding.

You may use subdomains, which you normally can setup within your domain, but even in theis case, the path will be a different one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gunter,

Thanks again for explaining.

Best, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution.  Redirect server traffic from old URL to new URL.  The manner in which you do this depends on what type of server and hosting plan you have.   On a Linux server, you can edit or create an .htaccess file in a plain text or code editor (not Muse) and upload it to your server's root folder where your index page resides.  Or use your server's C-panel to add a rewrite rule as shown below.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !http://www.peterdiianni.com/writings/preserving-artwork.html$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.peterdiianni.com/preserving-artwork.html/$1 [L,R=301]

For all other servers, contact your hosting provider for details.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nancy.

Thanks so much for the alternative solution. It worked!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines