• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Muse Kerning Option

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started using Muse and trying to workout some typography but as I see it when I'm using one of the well kerned typefaces it changes its kerning options. When I type the same thing in Illustrator it looks flawless but when it comes to Muse it's horrific. I can't seem to find an option to set it to metrics tho. Should I be working my types in Illustrator and just take it on to Muse from library that long way, or is there something that can be done via Muse options?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell us exactly, which font you are using and give us a small(!!) sample file to inspect via Dropbox or a similar file sharing service. Then we will have a look.

Additionally: You are aware of the fact, that you are dealing with web design, and the typo capabilities of browsers are incomparable to print design.

And: The way to prepare typo in Illustrator and „just take it on to Muse“ isn‘t viable at all – and by the way isn‘t viable with any other app and any other web designer. Because most typographical refinements aren‘t applicable in web design. The typo option, which you can apply in web design are exactly the ones which Muse presents in its typo related panels.

One more annotation: You know, that Muse isn‘t under development any more? You have to decide, if it makes sense, to start a new web site using Muse …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/G%C3%BCnter+Hei%C3%9Fenb%C3%BCttel  wrote

Because most typographical refinements aren‘t applicable in web design.

Sorry but that is not true. For Muse maybe, but not for someone who knows css.

The css level 3 fonts module, does have the option of applying font-kerning as specified in the font file for the font type and size used. It also offers many more options via the font-feature-setting, such as any font-variants and ligatures included in the font file. It does require the use of open-type fonts, which is about 90% of fonts used.

There are also a number of other font features and setting that one can apply via css.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right of course.  But that would require some custom coding skills.  Muse's ease of use and single biggest limitation is that it's a code generator and not an editor like Dreamweaver or Brackets.  So when one must work directly with code, Muse is the wrong tool.

Font-kerning and ligatures are widely supported but not by Internet Explorer, MS Edge or Edge Mobile.

font-kerning - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN

font-variant-ligatures - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge and Edge mobile will support kerning and ligatures with the october update, (the move to the Chrome engine).

The one that most designers don't know about is the font-feature-settings -

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-feature-settings

Which is even supported by IE9+.

But as you say, css coders only, though it could be used in Muse by placing a style declaration in the header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Muse supports kerning of web fonts perfectly without any coding. Therefore I am not sure, if the thread opener really means „kerning“ when he says „kerning“. And: His statement leads me to the supposition, that he is using system fonts, which necessarily have to be converted to images during output.  But let‘s wait for his answer …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I wasn't aware about the limitations of web design, I have never gotten into it    I'm a graphic design student and just playing around with Muse out of curiosity with the intention of making a simple porfolio site to put the work of my own in. The problem was the default kerning of the typeface of my choice wasn't really looking same when typed in Muse so I was wondering if I had to manually reset kerning for all subtitles even though the typeface came with a good kerning on its own and it was working as intended in Illustrator (set to metrics.) That was my concern I think more or less I got my answer. Thanks for all replies and having your time to answer. And the late image is here.

Kerning.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stescoe  wrote

Sadly I wasn't aware about the limitations of web design, I have never gotten into it    I'm a graphic design student and just playing around with Muse with the intention of making a simple porfolio site...

In that case, have a look at Adobe Portfolio.  It's free with qualifying Creative Cloud Plans. It ties in seamlessly with Behance.   It's responsive and no coding skills required.

Adobe Portfolio | Build your own personalized website

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your sample image actually doesn’t show kerning. If it shows anything, then this is tracking.

May be(!), the Niveau Grotesk, which you are using,  is the system font version of Niveau and no the web font version. If you use a system font in Muse, the font had to be converted to an image during output, because one can‘t ensure, that this font is available on a visitor‘s machine or mobile device. For more information, read my answer 4 here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2357163

But I assume, you are doing something wrong (either in Illustrator or in Muse). When I re-build your font sample it looks this way (In Muse I used the TypeKit web font version of Niveau Bold Grotesk, in Indesign and Illustrator the Standard Adobe Font version:

• Top: Muse
  • Middle: Illustrator
  • Bottom: InDesign

illu.jpg

In short: All is working as expected!

As I said: Muse supports font tracking, spacing, kerning, ligatures – whatever you like and whatever is possible in actual web design. To find your specific issue, it would be necessary to have a look at your .muse file, what is no problem, if you upload it to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and post the download link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines