• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Google webfonts, or can they be integrated into Muse?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I use Google webfonts, or can they be integrated into Muse?

Would be handy because there are now 'websafe' fonts (googlewebfonts) that can be added (embedded??) in a site, whilst Muse does not offer this possibility ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Nevermind, I figured it out. There may be better ways to do this within Muse, but this worked for me:

At     http://www.google.com/fonts    I chose a "test" font family (Titillium) with 11 styles, and added it to my collection. (This "collection" will be temporary, since it's only for one page in Muse). Google web fonts are also FREE.

Then at Google's "use" link, out of the 11 styles in the family, I selected two weights (200 and 600), each with an additional italic style  (200italic and 600italic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Fonts - +Add Fonts - I'm pretty sure most of Adobe Edge Fonts are included - a service which is partnered with Google Webfonts

http://blog.typekit.com/2012/09/24/introducing-adobe-edge-web-fonts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a licensed rights to the web font Copperplate which Typekit does not include. How do I add them to my Muse layout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Typekit doesn't include it, it can't be used as a typeface that will be rendered as text via Muse. It's web safe fonts or the approved Muse affiliated Typekit fonts only for now.

The best you could do is use the System version of Copperplate which Muse will then convert into an image like a .jpg or .gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only use the Typekits fonts that have been partnered with Muse. As the above poster indicates; go to Fonts > Add Fonts and then you can see the variety that you can choose from, but outside of those you are restricted. Unless if course, you add the desired tyepface to your System and them allow Muse to render these typefaces into images instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah I know this, I've found some rather okay substutute font there, but ther'e just not quite right... (hey, you created an application to be used by designers so you can suspect we're going to be picky about these things!!)

Alas just the two google webfonts I was using are not there!!

The Libre Baskerville and the Limerick

So I was wondering since I don't want these fonts to be rendered into images, if there's a way to still be able to use these fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Google web fonts with out any issues in Muse.

Google will give you a code when you select your font.  Place this in the head of your page document by going to page properties.  Use a little CSS (provided from the google font you choose )

<link href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Patua+One" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

<p style="font-family: 'Patua One', cursive;">
This text is in the font 'Patua One'
</p>

For Typekit fonts that aren't in muse  put this in the head of your page. Choose from over 700

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://use.typekit.com/xxxxx.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">try{Typekit.load();}catch(e){}</script>

Then define your font family  ( object > insert html )

<p style="font-family: adelle-1,adelle-2;">
This text is in the font 'Adelle.'</p>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that!  It works well.

However, I want to use a Google web font that has several weights (200, 200italic, 300, 300italic, etc).

In the HTML for the paragraph, what is the proper syntax to indicate the desired font-weight in Muse?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I figured it out. There may be better ways to do this within Muse, but this worked for me:

At     http://www.google.com/fonts    I chose a "test" font family (Titillium) with 11 styles, and added it to my collection. (This "collection" will be temporary, since it's only for one page in Muse). Google web fonts are also FREE.

Then at Google's "use" link, out of the 11 styles in the family, I selected two weights (200 and 600), each with an additional italic style  (200italic and 600italic) - 4 checkboxes total.

Under "add this code to your website," I copied the line of code there, and in Muse: Page > Page Properties > Metadata >"HTML for <head>" > pasted that code and hit OK. You can make a "collection" at Google fonts, or if you're like me and you change your mind constantly, you can also paste each new bit of code for fonts you want to add below the last one. This cannot be done globally in Muse; it must be done page-by-page.

The "tricky" part for me (not having edited HTML for as long as humanly possible ), was getting the proper HTML syntax for the different weights and styles of the 4 fonts I chose from my test font-family.

After some experimentation, here is what my type looks like in Muse:

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 1.03.47 PM.png

In Muse, here is the HTML I typed into > Object > Insert HTML... :

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 1.37.05 PM.png

Note that each HTML tag must be /closed at the proper place, or in Muse you'll see ugly little "X-boxes" in your text, meaning something isn't right in the HTML.

In Muse you can change the textbox size, font size, and leading, but not tracking. And if you want to edit the text, you have to "Edit HTML."

I hope this helps others to be able use more fonts than those Typekit offers within Muse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been incredibly helpful... thank you. I actually have an account w/ fonts.com, so I'm trying to get those fonts to work in Muse, but having trouble... the same line of code as what google gives users ("link href=...) is given to me by fonts.com, so I assume that following these instructions will allow me to have access to their web fonts in Muse... anyway, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically, we pay money for an application that is sold as 'you don't have to code', and end up coding anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only if you would like to use webfonts outside of the licensed webfonts from typekit included in your muse subscription.

It's not really coding - more copying and pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We pay money for Adobe Muse as a tool, we get a lot of fonts through Adobe Edge Web Fonts, and we can include (self-host) many other fonts we legally and technically own. That's more than enough I guess for the money you paid. You can't blame Adobe not to pay for all fonts of the world to be technically and legally available through Muse – at least not yet...

That said, font techniques (and font licenses) are becoming more and more difficult to understand. It would be nice if Adobe would create a tool to help us to verify and better understand what can and can't be done with the fonts we own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now there's a widget for that – Google Fonts – Adobe Muse Widget Directory

😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this page may be new, but it completely solved my problem.  I simply downloaded the screen fonts from Google Fonts normally, then went to google webfonts helper to get the webfonts.  All I had to do then was upload them using the "self-hosted web-fonts" feature in Muse.

Here's the link -- all the fonts appear to be there. It has the CSS also, but I didn't need to use it.

google webfonts helper

Hope this helps...

*** Marti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! great solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be wrong but isn't one of the advantages of webfonts that you don't need to have the font files physically on your machine? The document would call out and retrieve the font info so that it renders properly I thought.  If I'm using, say, Roboto as a font in a document but the recipient doesn't have it locally, I should be using webfonts.  I've found that if I have that font on my local machine and use in a document, the recipient renders that document not with webfonts but with their default font, likely Times New Roman. If I remove the local files, it gets embedded in the document and renders as intended.

InDesign should allow the designation of typefaces that are webfonts so that it embeds the fonts within that document and renders properly regardless of whether the audience has the font or not.

This is amateur hour for me, but it's my understanding of how things work (but doesn't in InDesign). Any help in setting me straight is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the best solution, thnx again, you saved me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly what I needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Marti!

5 Years later, and still helpful. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see answer from

Marti from Tonic3 Mar 16, 2016 1:25 PM

THAT ONE IS THE RIGHT SOLUTION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it worked, but on the "design" mode it still appears as it is a rendered type.Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 8.38.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amoroso, I don't know which font you're trying to use and what method you already tried (which doesn't seem to work). But when choosing/adding a font, use the Edge Web Fonts section to activate almost all opensource fonts, also offered by Google. Easy enough !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter, sorry not for being clear, I'm not familiar with this kind of conversation. I used the method of copying the code as explained by DrStrik9 , and marked as the "correct answer". I was using "PRATA" wich is a Google font. But the Edge Web Fonts made everything clear and easy!!! It really worked! Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines