• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you make the tooltip dot "stick" and hold its place?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 960 fixed width page in Muse of a USA map.  I'm using the tooltip thing.  I put a tooltip dot on NY.  I understand how to use the breakpoints but when I minimize the browser width, the dot starts moving toward the left instead of staying on NY.  I've tried numerous combination of pins for the dot with no luck.

Is there any way to get the dot to stay on NY without it drifting over toward Ohio and beyond?

PS - the USA map works perfectly and stays where it's at - it's only the tooltip dot that drifts.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

What was quite confusing:

You write in your first post: "I have a 960 fixed width page in Muse of a USA map.“ This is not the case. Your page/breakpoint isn’t fixed, it is fluid. This complicates the solution a little bit.

When two elements are overlapping or placed one over the other, Muse can’t know, what to do, when the browser window is resized:

• Should the elements move and/or resize together?
  • If yes: What is the reference point of these moving/scaling actions? The top left corner of the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Deaf Mike,

This is the expected workflow of a tooltip, and you will have to adjust the markers in individual breakpoints.

You will have to do some trial and error for achieving your workflow.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about a fixed width page. I can’t reproduce the behaviour you are talking about.

The tooltip and its trigger doesn’t move at all.

Could you give us a small.muse file, demonstrating this behaviour?

Please follow these instructions: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8652

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I tried uploading the .muse file here for you but it appears there's no attachment function here. Is there a another way for me to share the file with you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really should read the link, I provided above! Use Dropbox, CC Files or a similar file sharing service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I have it but was unable to access them via my remote office.  So I will post the MUSE file this evening and put the link here for you to take a look at - thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK sorry this is late but here is the MUSE file and also the map image in case you need to relink it.  When you preview it, shrink your browser and then watch how when the map shrinks the dot for the tooltip doesn't stay over the state of PA but moves around.

https://adobe.ly/2I3ZHzn

https://adobe.ly/2D4mbg1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was quite confusing:

You write in your first post: "I have a 960 fixed width page in Muse of a USA map.“ This is not the case. Your page/breakpoint isn’t fixed, it is fluid. This complicates the solution a little bit.

When two elements are overlapping or placed one over the other, Muse can’t know, what to do, when the browser window is resized:

• Should the elements move and/or resize together?
  • If yes: What is the reference point of these moving/scaling actions? The top left corner of the browser window or the top left corner of the image below? For you, as the designer of the page, it is clear and evident, because you can see the situation and have built it this way intentionally. But Muse is no human and can’t „read“ your intentions, although it tries its best!

So help Muse to figure out, what you want to achieve:

• Place a transparent, equally scaling element at the same x/y position and with the same width as the background image directly above the tooltip.
  • Make sure, that this invisible frame and the tooltip don’t overlap each other.
  • Group this „guiding frame“ and the tooltip.
  • Now Muse should know, what you are trying to achieve.

Look at this screencast:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much - very helpful and appreciate it very much.  The only potential issue with this workflow is if you many other tooltips on many other states, then the empty box will overlap them.  But for this, it's a great fix.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct.

In this case I’d suggest, to use not one tool tip composition with multiple triggers, but multiple tool tip compositions with one trigger each. The „guiding frame“ could be very small, so normally there won’t be a confusion. Look at this screenshot. I colorised the „guiding frames“ for better understanding:

Screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines