Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes made on Master Page is not showing on inner (child) pages on MUSE

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Forum,
The layers (images) I have  added on my Muse “Master” page have not been reflected on the inner pages (ie: About us, Home etc) . The inner pages look as if they are not layered  properly yet I can see a perfect layering on the Master.  I tried to copy the master on to inner page by dragging it but it did not make any differance. I then deleted the inner page and dragged the master to create a new page but again the result was the same. The master looks ok but the layers on the inner page (about us page in fact) shifted. What am I doing wrong, I appreciate any help please. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Before answering to all of these questions: Yes, you can do this all, but it is really very complicated!

Why not build a fixed width site with 3 or 4 fixed width breakpoints?

Mobile browsers use viewport scaling. That means, they use the breakpoint, which comes nearest to your device and scales the page, until it fits. That means: You don’t need to build 3 different sites. One site with 3, 4 fixed breakpoints is enough, and it will look great on mobile devices! You may try this, by building a smal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say, the layer in the child page has shifted, can you preview the page (child) in browser and see if the elements are working fine or reflecting the same problem.

Toufic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… and what is a „inner page“?

Be aware, that master pages necessarily are working site-wide, not page-wide.

In addition: Elements on layout pages can overlay element on master pages. This is necessary too.

Perhaps it is enough, if you create a new layer on your master page and drag all master elements onto it, which are expected to show up above all other (layout page) element. Be cautious, not to create layout element in this layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, thank you for your reply. When I say an "inner" page I mean  any sub-page (such as: "Home", "About", "Services", "Contact" etc) that can be generated from the Master (Template) page. For example in order to design my Home page I copied all the elements of Master template to create new page (called Home). But the problem is the layers on the MAster page looks shifted on the Home Page. I deleted the Home Page and I started again by dragging all the elements from Master on to new page and called it Home again but it did not solve the problem. Still the layers looks okay on the MAster Template but are all shifted on the Home Page. (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toufic, thank you for your reply. I can preview the Master (ie:Template) and child (ie: Home Page) separately. The layers on the Master looks perfectly fine, but the layers on the inner (Home) page  are shifted. In other words the changes made on the Master is not reflected on the child page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we get curious enough to ask for a .muse.

Just one page, your distracting elements, by following this rules:

Please Provide a .muse File to Help Us Fixing Your Issue!

Best Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fotoroeder, thank you for your reply. I have sent you the dropbox link of my .muse file in a private message. Please kindly let me know when you receive it. Best, Bernadette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Toufic, I appreciate that you want to promote your business (you sent me a private message) however this forum is an educational platform.  People come here to learn rather than buy services!  I could have appreciated your offer if you could come up with some practical suggestions and help with my problem before merely advertising your business! Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us a small(!) .muse file, which demonstrates the issue (only one master and one layout page; only a few elements) Share this .muse file by following these instructions: https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-8652

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, thank you for this, I have sent you the dropbox link of the file in a private message. Can you please let meknow when you receive it. Best, Bernadette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, sorry about this. Here is the link. I hope you will see it this time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/soufv8ntevhwshx/bbwebcvMuse.muse?dl=0

Best

Bernadette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found nothing, what you call a „layering“ issue. Layer issues are problems, which come from wrong element stacking – what means for example, that elements, which should be in front, are hidden behind other elements.

Nevertheless: I am very sorry, but I have to say, that your actual layout will never ever work. If you are very(!) experienced in Muse and respoinsive design, something this might be done. But I think, actually there will be no way at all to accomplish this layout.

Why?

First of all: You try to layout just like you do, if you are sitting in front of a piece of paper or a print layout in InDesign.

Print layouts are completely static. If you place an element, it stays here, no matter, where you place other elements. Print layout can’t change their size, when the user drags the edge of his sheet of paper.

In responsive design, every element interacts with each other: One element will push another down, shift it upwards, resizes it horizontally or vertically or proportionally thus causing other elements to change their positions and dimensions too.

To explain it with a look at your design:

The yellow rectangle is set to scale vertically.

On this rectangle you have an image, which scales proportionally.

It is very clear, that this won’t work: The image shrinks in width and height, the yellow rectangle only in width, what necessarily causes the two elements to fall apart.

Even more problematic: Those many little images of jewellery. Which should be the rule for them to move or move not, and in relation to what they are supposed to move? Relative to the upper left corner of your page? Relative to each other? Relative to the big image of the woman? Muse can’t know this.

Your text boxes are scaling horizontally, but they have to grow vertically to be able to show their complete text content, when getting narrower. Look at this litte „bernadette@me.com“. When you reduce the browser window, the text box shrinks and forces the words to break into two lines. This causes the yellow rectangle to be pushed down, and so on.

Other text boxes, you have placed, are necessarily converted to images, because you are using system fonts and not standard fonts or web fonts. This has to happen, because nobody can guarantee, that these fonts are available on the computers or devices of your page’s visitors. But converting text to an image changes the scaling behaviour: Text boxes scale horizontally and grow vertically, images scale proportionally.

There are tons and tons of such issues in this just small and simple looking page.

As I said – and please don’t get me wrong: I am definitely convinced, that you won’t be able to create such a layout with your actual knowledge of responsive design and the way, Muse is handling it.

What to do? It is THAT simple: Would you start in a car race, if you never drove a car before? Certainly not. But why trying to create a responsive page, which is build like a print design, with no experience in designing something like this?

Just start with a fixed width site with fixed width pages and fixed width breakpoints, and all these issues are gone! Doing so, you can layout just as you do, when painting on a piece of paper or pinning photos and memos onto a pinboard.

Sorry to have no better advice for you, but believe me: It is a very(!) heavy job to create a responsive layout with many overlapping elements which necessarily scale in different ways. And it is a very bad idea, to try to accomplish something like this without a considerable amount of experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Günter, thank you for your detailed and through (and kind) reply. 

I am rather dissappointed to hear that my design may not be good for 'Muse but before I gave up my dreams  I want to double check with you some of the points you kindly made in your reply. I am really trying to understand and as well as improving my knowledge on Muse (which again I agree that it is not very good at present)  :

1) "The woman image shrinks in width and height, the yellow rectangle shrinks only in width"
Is there any way to shrink the yellow background in with and in heigh like the woman image?

2) "Even more problematic: Those many little images of jewellery. Which should be the rule for them to move or move not, and in relation to what they are supposed to move? Relative to the upper left corner of your page? Relative to each other? Relative to the big image of the woman? Muse can’t know this."
The diamond images should scale down proportionality to the woman image. Is there any way to do this on Muse?

3) "because you are using system fonts and not standard fonts or web fonts."

When you reduce the browser window, the text box shrinks and forces the words to break into two lines. This causes the yellow rectangle to be pushed down, and so on. Can I scale manually (breakpoints) the sze of the text so that they all scale down with the page?

4) "Other text boxes, you have placed, are necessarily converted to images, because you are using system fonts and not standard fonts or web fonts."
Apart from the header (which is a system font called 'Algerian'), all the fonts on the page is in fact 'Arial' which I believe it is a standart websafe font?.  But the arial texts on the page are not scaling well, the Algerian text is scling perfectly. Would you know why?

5) "But converting text to an image changes the scaling behaviour: Text boxes scale horizontally and grow vertically, images scale proportionally". So are you saying that I should perhaps use an image (of text) rather than a text?

6) "As I said – and please don’t get me wrong: I am definitely convinced, that you won’t be able to create such a layout with your actual knowledge of responsive design and the way, Muse is handling it."
Not at all , I can only thank you. I just want to undertstand if anything at all can be done... that's all.

7) "But why trying to create a responsive page, which is build like a print design, with no experience in designing something like this?Just start with a fixed width site with fixed width pages and fixed width breakpoints, and all these issues are gone!"
I agree but I want my customers to see my web page on their mobile, on their ipad as well as on their laptops.  How can I achieve this with a "fixed" size design unless I create three different (for iphone, for ipad and for laptop) "fixed" size designs?

8) "Sorry to have no better advice for you, but believe me: It is a very(!) heavy job to create a responsive layout with many overlapping elements which necessarily scale in different ways. And it is a very bad idea, to try to accomplish something like this without a considerable amount of experience"
You are so kind Thank you very much and have a great day! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before answering to all of these questions: Yes, you can do this all, but it is really very complicated!

Why not build a fixed width site with 3 or 4 fixed width breakpoints?

Mobile browsers use viewport scaling. That means, they use the breakpoint, which comes nearest to your device and scales the page, until it fits. That means: You don’t need to build 3 different sites. One site with 3, 4 fixed breakpoints is enough, and it will look great on mobile devices! You may try this, by building a small test site, upload it for free as a test site to businesscatalyst by using the „Publish“ button top right of Muse’s application window.

Now your questions:

1. Yes it is possible to scale the background in width and height. Look into the „Resize“ menu in your upper control strip.

2. Yes, it is possible by using tons of invisible „guiding frames and grouping them to the element. Nobody will do this. The better way is to bake all these elements into the image showing the woman.

3. Yes you can use breakpoint to solve this. You can as well make the text frame significantly wider, so that the text doesn’t need to break. And, of course you may use images – best practice: SVGs – for the text. This is not that ideal for SEO reasons, but you can add a so called „Alt text“ to the image (Right click –> Image Properties).

4./5. Arial is „web safe“, correct. You can easily identify text, which will be converted to an image by this icon next bottom right the text frame:

Text_conversion_2.jpg

7. Most pages in the Internet are using fixed width breakpoints, and it works quite well. Why? See my explanation in the beginning.

So, I hope, this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Günter

Thank you very much responding to my questions.  I read your mesages several times and learnt a lot of new things from you.
I will digest further, will do some practice with breakpoints on fix witdh page and will let you know

Best ,

Bernadette 
PS: (please let me know if I can give you testimonials.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines