• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert alternate layouts to responsive

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just bought a cool one-page template which comes in 3 alternate layouts. The content elements of each layout are unlinked which means I woul need to update 3 times all the content.

How can I simply merge these 3 alt layouts into one responsive layout? This seems so obvious as a need, yet so complicated to do.

All the design is already there except split between 3 sub layouts. Basically it should be natural to paste one layout onto another and add a breakpoint to signal when to switch from one to the other.

If it is not that simple, does that mean that this alt layout template is totally unconvertible to a responsive one?

thanks 

TOPICS
Responsive design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can't merge them. See if you can get your money back.  The template won't do what you need.

Muse support ends in 53 days.  Have you migrated to new software yet?   For responsive design, I recommend using a code editor like Dreamweaver and Bootstrap templates.

https://bootstrapmade.com/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this the best offline option for non coders? I didnt look into a replacement yet but seriously need to look for one indeed. i suppose other threads already address this topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shifting your reliance from Muse to another Muse-like code generator is just asking for more of the same when that app or service is discontinued.  You should be asking yourself "what's my best long term solution so I don't get trapped like this again? How can I finally free myself from restrictions imposed by code generators, DIY site builders and purchased templates?" 

The simple answer is learn to work with native HTML, CSS and JS files.  It's not hard.  With the right attitude you can learn the basics in a weekend.  Before long you will be creating exactly what you want in any code editor you wish to use. 

https://www.w3schools.com/

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/CSS/CSS_layout/Responsive_Design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i totally agree, dancing around code and relying on tools to ease me into it is not the way to go. But by being an indesign guy, and a photoshop guy, and an illustrator guy at times, code becomes one more universe to tackle and it is hard to stay productive on all these fields simultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I started in print and shifted to web design which is a completely different mind-set.  I have no trouble doing both but I admit it's not for everyone.  Decide what's more important.  If you can't manage web design,  don't do it.  Hire an expert to do it for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responsive layout is technically much, much more than having 3 fixed width layouts side by side. So you can't convert your site into each other. The former Muse team was investigating a way to make conversion easier, but the declaration of Muse's "End of Life" prevented this feature from being finalized.  So the only way is to delete all adaptive layouts except one and redefine this layout responsively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is what i was afraid of. thank you for the explanation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on your knowlege, I'd recommend two web site editors for non coders:

Webflow for more experienced users with more complex sites: https://webflow.com/ 

Without code for people, who won't be affected by code at all: https://www.wocode.com/#main 

The second editor system is run by the former "MuseThemes" team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines