• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

does MUSE default convert jpgs to png?

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to find the images folder full of png's when I originally uploaded all images as jpg. Was this a default I failed to notice when making the site a year ago?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

The other way round (PNG –> JPG) may happen, if you checked the option "Convert opaque PNGs to JPG" in "Site Properties/Content".

PNGs, found in the "images" folder of your output files may have 2 reasons:

• You have used system fonts instead of standard fonts. These text objects are converted to PNGs during output, because Muse can’t guarantee, that the visitors of the site have these fonts installed.
  • You placed SVG files. To make sure, that browsers, which don’t support SVG,  can see the images

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other way round (PNG –> JPG) may happen, if you checked the option "Convert opaque PNGs to JPG" in "Site Properties/Content".

PNGs, found in the "images" folder of your output files may have 2 reasons:

• You have used system fonts instead of standard fonts. These text objects are converted to PNGs during output, because Muse can’t guarantee, that the visitors of the site have these fonts installed.
  • You placed SVG files. To make sure, that browsers, which don’t support SVG,  can see the images too, these SVGs are saved additionally as fallbach PNGs. These PNGs have the amandement "-poster" in their file name.

If I recall correctly, there have been some other situations, when Muse converts JPGs to PNGs in the early times of Muse’s existence: Some effects applied to images, which involve transparency (transparency, shadows, rounded corners, …, …), were converted to PNGs, because the JPG file format doesn’t suppot transparency.  But later on, Muse started using the corresponding CSS commands to achieve these effects. So, since 2014, PNG conversion wasn’t necessary any more.

My questions:

• What exactly are your PNG files showing?
  • Are there JPGs with a similar file name too?
  • How old are your Muse document?
  • Could you perhaps show us a working link and point us an image, which you think is converted from JPG to PNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines