• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed Viewport below certain breakpoint?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to have a fixed-width breakpoint that kicks in whenever a viewport uses below, say, 800 pixels? 

Trying to cover all the sizes of tablets and mobile is hugely difficult for more meticulously designed and elaborate sites with many elements.  If Muse was able to detect a viewport lower than a certain resolution and served up a fixed-width breakpoint that rendered at, again, say, 800 pixels across all mobile devices, then I wouldn't have to create so many breakpoints to ensure the content looked consistent across all devices.

Is this possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

DoubleParker  wrote

Currently, www.doubleparker.com forces mobile devices to render at 800px, but that's only because it's using an adaptive web design approach rather than responsive.  In the long term, this is not ideal.  I'd love a responsive muse solution that determines a fixed-width when a user's browser is BELOW a certain width. 

Make sense?  Is this still possible?

possible = yes, if the end user allows it

is it a good idea to try and force it = no

you don't want a fixed breakpoint, what you

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ussnorway - Thank you for your response!

I went through the video and, while it does mention fixed-width's ABOVE a certain breakpoint, I'm looking for more of a BELOW a certain breakpoint solution. 

For example, the browser width of an iphone5 is 320px, while the browser width of a Samsung S7 is 412px, and the iPhoneX browser width is 375px.  The solution I'm hoping for is, rather than deal with potentially hundreds of mobile browser widths, have a breakpoint that "forces" the browser to render at a certain width. 

Currently, www.doubleparker.com forces mobile devices to render at 800px, but that's only because it's using an adaptive web design approach rather than responsive.  In the long term, this is not ideal.  I'd love a responsive muse solution that determines a fixed-width when a user's browser is BELOW a certain width. 

If I completely missed that answer in the video, could you me pinpoint where it is?  The video is well over an hour long. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DoubleParker  wrote

possible = yes, if the end user allows it

is it a good idea to try and force it = no

you don't want a fixed breakpoint, what you want is to force browser to rendor how you decide and that isn't how the internet works

Q - how does your design know that a mobile device has whatever size? because it tries to track that with a script... my browser | device does not allow 3rd party scripts = blank white page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying to cover all the sizes of tablets and mobile is hugely difficult for more meticulously designed and elaborate sites with many elements.

I think for Muse (if it is more meticulously designed and elaborate site with many elements), this is not just difficult, but not feasible.
In Muse you can try emulating the bootstrap approach:

Never use a fluid width value when creating a new site if you want the scaling to work correctly. Fixed width only.

Watch this video

But this in any case will not work better than the bootstrap itself. Therefore, for complex sites with many elements it is better to use the bootstrap itself. This can be done with tools such as Dreamweaver, WebFlow, Themler. Or CMS as joomla, wordpress with extensions of page builders working on bootstrap. I'm sorry, but the responsive functionality in Muse is the worst thing on the market right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines